Well, its IMO true the head is the limiter.

What should his timing be if he's trying to make 9 sec power with those heads?

BPE2013@hotmail.com

I'm not sure with the TTA heads my Syclone has gone low 9's with 23* Pontiac heads at 18 degrees of timing I am running 23/21 at 27 pounds of boost with my TTA I will turn the boost up at the nationals and see how much it will handle.

I'm not sure with the TTA heads my Syclone has gone low 9's with 23* Pontiac heads at 18 degrees of timing I am running 23/21 at 27 pounds of boost with my TTA I will turn the boost up at the nationals and see how much it will handle.
I don't understand how the 23* Pontiac heads correlate to the Buicks antiquated design. Also 23/21 if that's low speed/high speed it's not ideal either. Timing shouldn't be a flat line. I'll say that 27psi with 21 degrees at flash stall is on the more aggressive side with rear wheel drive head and a converter that couples hard. Also how was your timing verified?

BPE2013@hotmail.com

I don't understand how the 23* Pontiac heads correlate to the Buicks antiquated design. Also 23/21 if that's low speed/high speed it's not ideal either. Timing shouldn't be a flat line. I'll say that 27psi with 21 degrees at flash stall is on the more aggressive side with rear wheel drive head and a converter that couples hard. Also how was your timing verified?

BPE2013@hotmail.com

It doesn't correlate I was just saying it doesn't take a lot of timing to run 9'

I question whether the tta head may like less timing than a GN head too. The chamber is totally different. The tta may run better with less timing. I can't really say. I know that any more than 21* that you'll start getting knock. Maybe 20 max would be better.

What fuel was it run on???

93 and VP M1 alky Eric's 6.1 chip with Ross pistons, champion heads & intake, 62/62 and a 210/215 cam from FTS

BPE2013@hotmail.com

I have not verified the timing I just know what the base timing is on the 6.1 chip and how much I have added.

93 and VP M1 alky Eric's 6.1 chip with Ross pistons, champion heads & intake, 62/62 and a 210/215 cam from FTS

Rollie, that very impressive man!
Do you mind sharing your TTA engine combo?
Also, good luck at the Nationals! Giv'em hell!

62/62
ext wastegate custom DP
Ported Intercooler
Julio's Alky Kit
Ross Pistons
210/215 roller cam
Champion Heads and Intake
6.1 chip, Two Step and Power logger
60 lb injectors
Stealth Pump with Hot wire kit
AMS 1000 boost controller
PTC converter
Billet Trans
370 gear
295 drag radials
SCM suspension

Bought everything from the FTS team. Thank you!

We only street race the car I have never been to the track yet it could be a 12 second car we will see at the Nationals.

Last edited:
I converted to a Crane rocker setup many moons ago....was more of a challenge to build the valve covers than move to a better rocker. Had to make guide plates and went with a 7/16" stud.

The difference between the TTA and Buick motor is the head and headers.
The valve sizes are the same. Port diameters are the same... the weak link is the head.
Been there and done that. 126-128 mph no problems.. past that 128-130 on a full weight TTA.. a few passes in.. drama. God knows how many HG's i've swapped out on the TTA. Last turbo I ran was a 71 GTQ with the .82 housing.. same caca just a slower spool. Happiest turbo I had on it.. the 66BB and .63 precision.
The computer moved to my Mustang.. employed the same strategy.. I even run graphites for HG's.. 26 psi, 20 degree's timing, AFR mid 10's,, car runs 8.5 at 160 3450 weight. No hg's taking a dump.
The Cometics on the TTA I tried the the 40 and 60's.. no difference. The only thing is once they started going, the car would overheat after driving it for a while. The Felpro's once they went.. they went.
9 Second TTA.. put Buick heads, headers, and build a down pipe. Done.. but $$$ expensive.

348 SBF
But the turbo came off a StageII Buick T4 4788

Ok. I've got a 92 notchback I've swapped a coyote 5.0 into. That project has made me question whether I should turn the boost down and let the TTA simply be a 10.50 car and probably stay together a lot better.

Ok. I've got a 92 notchback I've swapped a coyote 5.0 into. That project has made me question whether I should turn the boost down and let the TTA simply be a 10.50 car and probably stay together a lot better.
Those Coyote motors are fast, and ridiculously smooth. My buddy has one, and with exhaust, intake manifold, and a tune he ran 117mph in the quarter. He's still running stock tires, so the e.t. isn't there, but it flies.

There's no doubt a 2500 pound notchback with a coyote is far more capable than anything you could do with a TTA within a reasonable budget.

There's no doubt a 2500 pound notchback with a coyote is far more capable than anything you could do with a TTA within a reasonable budget.
Hmm... I guess i care to differ... i have one around here somewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I love turbo buicks, but the new 5.0 is a strong running motor, especially with a power adder of any kind. Billet caps and a GN head may eventually be on my TTA, but for now I may turn it down. I don't really enjoy changing head gaskets.