Well it started..

Neal Steward ran a 10.2 on the 4th pass with new motor in november... :eek:
Correct me if I am wrong...

oops someone beat me to it

If there is anyone here that thinks you just drop a motor in a Buick and start running 9s all day, boy are you in for a rude awakening.

Jeff did not get to 9.40 timeslips the second he bought a TA block and heads. It took 2 years after that ( guessing Jeff ) before he hit that goal.

Neal did not run 10.40s with a stage block or 10.20s with a 109 block overnight either. Anyone who knows him knows he takes his time with each pass, analyzes the data, tries it again and again.

Scott has worked up to his times and speeds as well. That is with 2 different blocks. One is in many pieces inside and the other is working well so far.

It does not matter which block you are trying to use. It does take more money than you thought. It certainly takes more time than you will like. And you will be breaking parts you did not think would break.

Anybody who says otherwise is trying to sell you something.:biggrin:

Is 231x20psi=462ci the knife guy :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:
---------------------------
Who is "The Knife Guy"?, If by "The knife Guy" you mean "Kevin", "Harold", or "Wiked 87GN" then no, they are not the same.
231X20psi=462ci is Gerald, owns a '86 or a '87 GN & a very rare Hurst Olds, maybe an '83 or so. Not the same person.

---------------------------
Who is "The Knife Guy"?, If by "The knife Guy" you mean "Kevin", "Harold", or "Wiked 87GN" then no, they are not the same.
231X20psi=462ci is Gerald, owns a '86 or a '87 GN & a very rare Hurst Olds, maybe an '83 or so. Not the same person.

Thank you Gary for clearing things up. :)

Yes 3 tenths may not seem like a lot but it is, just remember what happen to your crank a while back trying to hit the Magic number, saw the pictures and boy was that a mess, a lot of things can happen in 3 tenths. :)

That's what I'm saying by taking some weight out of the car, and a tighter converter going from a 76 turbo to a 70gtq is gonna help No doubt! But 3 tenths? At this level it's very hard to lower ET. going form 10:30's to 9's is gonna take A LOT of work it's not gonna be easy. I sure hope Mike gets it! I'll be very happy for him. :)

Just checking in on this wonderful, informative thread. Mikes car runs very well for what it is. We built this piece for Mike a couple years ago. He wanted a a reliable mid 10 second street car and we built him a reliable mid 10 second STREET car fully loaded with all accessories functional. Keep in mind, it is not a purpose built race engine. It has a MILD hydraulic cam, low compression, stock intake etc etc. The engine has performed better than expected thus far. Mike has decided to push the car into the 9 sec zone and rather than spending a TON of money on a stock block (that eventually will grenade at this power level) and revamping it into a race engine, we discussed making an attempt to "make it happen" with no changes to the STREET engine. Mike fully understands the .3 is a BUNCH to gain at this level with the same engine BUT be has shed about 150#, tightened the converter(which will compliment the PT70GTQ he is trying while the 76 is out for repair) added a 3.5" down pipe and got rid of the power steering. I am pretty sure if all goes well he will achieve his goal. If he does not, his S2 engine will be underway before too long:eek: Good luck Mike!

9 second E.T's are elusive especially for a full weight street car without a transbrake. My best pass which probably factors to a 9 second pass was in Vegas several years ago with the Stage II motor. At 3725 lbs the car went 10.25 @ 135.80. I drove the car there and back again as I have done on several occasions. The stock block motor is much smaller and a less costly build up. So far I've made 4 full passes and have run 10.27 @ 130 which shows good potential. I drove the car to Phoenix and back also. I'll keep trying so as not to let you down.

Neal

I wanna see him hit 9's he never did it with his stage II what makes you think he can do it now with a 109, but I know someone who will soon and will have the slip to prove it ;)

9 second E.T's are elusive especially for a full weight street car without a transbrake. My best pass which probably factors to a 9 second pass was in Vegas several years ago with the Stage II motor. At 3725 lbs the car went 10.25 @ 135.80. I drove the car there and back again as I have done on several occasions. The stock block motor is much smaller and a less costly build up. So far I've made 4 full passes and have run 10.27 @ 130 which shows good potential. I drove the car to Phoenix and back also. I'll keep trying so as not to let you down.

Neal

Neal your the man, this is not about letting anybody down it is about personal goals and i am sure you have yours with your vehicle, good luck..

Everyone on this thread is acting so nice. I think this must be a record for the longest SW thread without getting locked. Looks like progress to me!!!

Good luck to all on their quest to the 9 sec time slip.

Just checking in on this wonderful, informative thread. Mikes car runs very well for what it is. We built this piece for Mike a couple years ago. He wanted a a reliable mid 10 second street car and we built him a reliable mid 10 second STREET car fully loaded with all accessories functional. Keep in mind, it is not a purpose built race engine. It has a MILD hydraulic cam, low compression, stock intake etc etc. The engine has performed better than expected thus far. Mike has decided to push the car into the 9 sec zone and rather than spending a TON of money on a stock block (that eventually will grenade at this power level) and revamping it into a race engine, we discussed making an attempt to "make it happen" with no changes to the STREET engine. Mike fully understands the .3 is a BUNCH to gain at this level with the same engine BUT be has shed about 150#, tightened the converter(which will compliment the PT70GTQ he is trying while the 76 is out for repair) added a 3.5" down pipe and got rid of the power steering. I am pretty sure if all goes well he will achieve his goal. If he does not, his S2 engine will be underway before too long:eek: Good luck Mike!

A girdle,stroker crank, Chapion R1 Alum heads, FAST. all for Mid 10's :confused:

A girdle,stroker crank, Chapion R1 Alum heads, FAST. all for Mid 10's :confused:

Buy good parts and dont push them to the limit is the key to reliability, Mike has a STREET engine.In a RACE engine such as the DESTROKED 209" we campaigned in TSM last year that runs 9.60's at 3550# and has run a 9.53, the build is completely different.

Buy good parts and dont push them to the limit is the key to reliability, Mike has a STREET engine.In a RACE engine such as the DESTROKED 209" we campaigned in TSM last year that runs 9.60's at 3550# and has run a 9.53, the build is completely different.

I hope your not taking my Q the wrong way Billy. I understand what you're saying ;) .

Maybe you two and Kevin can all get together for a spa day and spend some quality time together. ;)

Neal