Weld pro star lug nuts

1quick6

Shadetree Mechanic
I have 1999 Weld Pro Star wheels on my vehicle. For those of you familiar with the construction of these, there is a plate sandwiched within the wheel that the lug nuts pass through to secure it to the hub. I am using closed end lug nuts. The plate sandwiched in the wheel rattles like hell and makes my car sound like a clunker. I suspect the nuts may be a HAIR too long allowing the plate to float a bit. The nuts do have a single washer and seem tight but they must not be 100%. Does anyone know what size nuts should be used with this wheel?

Last edited:
You're lucky you didn't have a serious rim failure. Get the correct length lugs and proper nuts and check the rims for cracks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_0537.JPG
IMG_0537.JPG

How about:
A. Look at the brake hub, and see if there's evidence of the wheels running loose?
B. Look at the ends of the lugs for marks indicating they bottomed out on the brake hub.
C. Insert the lugs in the wheels and see if they protrude, [or are a flush fit], w/ the back of the wheel.

Thanks for the part # T-Type Tim. Is there an option for closed end to look a little fancier? Looking at the open end and closed end, I am wondering if my closed end ones are bottoming out as Chuck mentioned. Is it safe to add another washer or should I just go open end and stay ugly?

Chuck, I will check things further this weekend. Thanks for the insight. Sometimes I need a slap in the face with tips. :)

Last edited:
I use a long mcgard lugs on mine. They have a plastic removable cap on the end..

It is definitely not the pads. I put my old T wheels back on and there is no noise. I am just going to get the open Weld lug nuts and call it a day.