Weatherstripping...NOS GM or Aftermaeket

Sixstringterror

Im in the market to buy all new weatherstripping for my car. I was wandering if anyone knows how the aftermarket rubber fits for our cars..There is a guy on ebay that has the lower doors left and right and the hard top rubber left and right and trunk rubber for 300.00...I have been looking on gbodyparts.com and the real deal gm stripping for all this is around 700.00 dollars...I dont mind spending the money with a well known board member but the price diff. between them is alot...Anyway, my question is has anyone used the cheaper rubber seals or is it not worth it..If anybody has a whole set they want to get ride of from gm for a good deal I have cash.....Tim

get the real GM stuff. the after market weather striping is junk period. you will be happy in the long run with the GM stuff. if you go after market you will be kicking your self in the ass for being cheap later. i give it 8-10 months with the aftermarket stuff before it starts ripping and falling apart

I have the Metro lower door seals works great and comes with a 15 year warranty. Very high quality and fit perfectly, paid about $80 for the two lower door seals.
The Softseal is garbage.
I looked on ebay and asked a question about the exact brand but they guy gave me the run around saying "It is shipped directly from my manufacturer" I asked again but more specific and got the same response, so I figured he was hiding something and ordered it from the parts stores that carry Metro weatherstrip.

A buddy of mine used aftermarket on his cutlass. The stuff around the bottom of the doors fits nice, the stuff on the roof that seals the windows dsidn't fit very good to start with and it's coming apart already.

look here as well.

Shop for Buick Grand National Weatherstripping at 1A Auto®

Metro Moulded Parts Inc. Automotive Weatherstrip and Rubber Parts

have seen their products used on an 81 Camero with T-tops, very nice fit and very soft. They have complete kits for the GN. A good value for the money. Ask around I am sure others have used them too. From what I have heard the GM stuff is new old stock as it is no longer being manufactured. Rumour has it that the company in the link above produced weather strip for original OEM.

I hope you find the link useful.

I have both. The GM is very expensive and fits perfect.

The soffseal stuff is cheap I got door uppers and lowers for about $100 bucks. They fit perfect too. In fact it is actually more firm than the GM stuff.
However, the ends where the pieces are fastened do not contain the hard plastic that the GM pieces do. Thus they are more prone to pulling, tearing and not staying seated.

Additionally, the soffseal roof rail piece, where there is the 90 degree angle, it is very soft. (softer than the rest of the rubber and not very firm for sealing purposes.

I havent tried the A1 stuff or the metro. I guess if I could get the GM stuff a little cheaper I'd probably go for it but as it stands the Soffseal stuff has worked ok for what I needed to do.

GM all the way. I speak from experience. You can try to save money and buy cheap stuff but in the long run you will end up spending more to make it right.

You know what they say: SPEND $100.00 TO SAVE $50.00 I always say my car is gm not an after market....

We jst tried to install an aftermarket set from a vendor here,Stay away from them.
There was no way hte window wold even close in the car.
The new GM NOS ones fit perfect and the windows now close.

gm!

I did mine (t-tops, dew sweeps, lower doors, and trunk) all gm. I was on the fence too! I searched these forums, read all I could, and ended up listening to everyones advice. From what I read, alot of times the lower door seals are real puffy and some people had to barely shut the door if at all for the first couple of weeks. On hard top cars there was alot of window adjustment and sealing issues. On t-top cars like mine alot of people had issues with sealing (i.e air/water leaks!:eek: ). The GM stuff just fit, sealed, and I didn't need to adjust the doors, or windows. Everything sealed right up like day 1. GM all the way!;)

GM does offer a parts warranty,i work in a dealership,not to sure about w/s though.

There is a warranty on every part GM sells over the counter.If you buy lets say a window motor and install it.If that window motor goes bad within 12 months or 12 miles it will be replaced under warranty.But on parts like weatherstrip that is NOS what are you gonna warranty?I think GM only warrantys mechanical parts over the counter.