WE4ster a Viet Nam SEAL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In war there are going to be casuties and cost no doubt. I think the mistake this administration has made was to dirvert our resourses from Afaganistan to go after Sadam. I believe the first objective should have been to neutralize Osama bin Ahole and as many of his goons as possible, like the hit list of Sadam's goons. Their organization is hurt but not knocked out. He still wields some direct power over the extreamists. Things are not up to speed over there. Our troops are spread thin and it's basicly a lawless country. While we had the Taliban and Osama on the run we should have compeated the job.
In the mean time we could have still pressured Sadam by way of the UN and it would have given us time to infiltrate the area to gather more inteligence on terriost connections, who's who and who is somewhat trustworthy. Our attack tactics could have been refined so we would have been more coordinated with the British. It would have given our Citizen Soldiers more time to train too.
Within the scope of the actual fight to expel Sadam we all knew it going to be a short conflict. I don't feel the current administration thought out the aftermath though. Very shortly after the fall of Sadam, the real work had to be done. If the initial invasion force had been able to be much larger they would have been able to confiscate more ordinace rather than let it fall into the local militias hands. The larger force would only have been able to be there if we had compleated the Afaganistan issue. So the goal of having Sadam gone is done but the rest of the clean up is going to be a very long haul for us to bear alone.

Originally posted by WakkoSS
Real SEALs usually don't want to tell anyone they were a SEAL. I was a SEAL for 28 years and served 15 tours in WW2 and 11 in Desert Storm, and you don't hear ME bragging about it, do you? ;)

Anyone seen the picture with Kerry and Hanoi Jane? I can post it if you haven't.

ROFLMFAO!

I liked the part about 15 tours in WW2, then skipping right past Korea and Nam, then doing 11 in Desert Storm. :eek:
Great stuff!

Hmm, 21 posts so far and a certain someone is MIA? :confused: Guess there's no defending this one!

My dad was a navy seal in seal team #1 and #4 with purple hearts and 100s of other metals to prove it.

Originally posted by WakkoSS
Real SEALs usually don't want to tell anyone they were a SEAL. ...

I bet this is the case...much like a real karate guy doesn't run around bragging about it.

The one SEAL I met in person was a very unimposing guy and more or less a pacifist. Very different from the image you see in the movies. It was very interesting to talk to him and learn about the training. I'm a pretty good swimmer, but I don't think I could pass it. Very little to do with swimming, actually!

Mike

Unless holding your breath underwater for 7 minutes without moving isn't good swimming :p

If he isn't and said he is that is not cool. Where is this site or whatever that anyone can go and find out someone's millitary history? why would an elite corps like the seals make that public?
This could just be a smear tactic that you GOP Sheep learned from your party to marginalize someone who disagrees with you. If so that is also not cool:rolleyes:

Originally posted by suprbuick7
This could just be a smear tactic that you GOP Sheep learned from your party to marginalize someone who disagrees with you. If so that is also not cool:rolleyes:
:rolleyes: Good grief.

I have no idea how many SEALs there have been since the team's inception, but let's say it's 200. You can easily find 2000 guys that say they were a SEAL, some of which were not even in the military. A website like that actually helps the reputation of the SEALs so you find out that the trash talkers are just that, trash talkers. One bad apple can ruin the bunch, unless you find out it's just an orange pretending to be an apple.

The actual seals that I met while I was in the Navy would not tell me up front that they were Seals. I had to find out second hand.

The idiots that were wannabees would tell me that the second that they met me. What a bunch of jack asses.

There is no Seal/EOD. You are one or the other. I think that there is a possibility of being one, then moving to the other, but I am not sure about that.

Originally posted by Pronto
In war there are going to be casuties and cost no doubt. I think the mistake this administration has made was to dirvert our resourses from Afaganistan to go after Sadam. I believe the first objective should have been to neutralize Osama bin Ahole and as many of his goons as possible, like the hit list of Sadam's goons. Their organization is hurt but not knocked out. He still wields some direct power over the extreamists. Things are not up to speed over there. Our troops are spread thin and it's basicly a lawless country. While we had the Taliban and Osama on the run we should have compeated the job.
In the mean time we could have still pressured Sadam by way of the UN and it would have given us time to infiltrate the area to gather more inteligence on terriost connections, who's who and who is somewhat trustworthy. Our attack tactics could have been refined so we would have been more coordinated with the British. It would have given our Citizen Soldiers more time to train too.
Within the scope of the actual fight to expel Sadam we all knew it going to be a short conflict. I don't feel the current administration thought out the aftermath though. Very shortly after the fall of Sadam, the real work had to be done. If the initial invasion force had been able to be much larger they would have been able to confiscate more ordinace rather than let it fall into the local militias hands. The larger force would only have been able to be there if we had compleated the Afaganistan issue. So the goal of having Sadam gone is done but the rest of the clean up is going to be a very long haul for us to bear alone.

i didnt know what to make of this logic, "we could have pressured saddam by way of the un" it took a long time to stop laughing

"our attack tactics could have been more refined so we would have been more coordinated with the british"??????????????? when weren't we perfectly coordinated with the british??

"if the initial invasion force had been much larger they would have been able to locate more ordinance rather than let it fall into the local militias hands" you mean with all the other needles in the hay stack---- jets buried in the sand--

you really ought to get back to reality- the entire military action of invading iraq has to be judged as excellent-- how could anyone say otherwise-- we have only lost 800 plus soldiers -- who would have dreamed we would have so few soldiers killed in such a large operation against a very large army-- it is only because the powers to be have deemed it a prority not to hurt civilians that the small resistance has not been eliminated-- when saddam was in power these religious insurgents could not operate- he would have eliminated the entire city to get rid of a handful of trouble makers and they knew it

osama is hiding under a rock somewhere or possibly even dead - the taliban has been knocked out of control and the only place they can exist now is in the extreme mountain hideouts or in other countries--- iraq was the save haven for hordes of terrorist and we could not hope to succeed in a war on terrorism with out eliminating their huge refuge in iraq--

FBI takes military fakes seriously

A Summit man who allegedly posed as a decorated Marine captain at the funeral of a Morris County Marine killed in Iraq has been charged with illegally wearing unearned military decorations, the FBI said Thursday.

Walter K. Carlson, 58, showed up at the funeral of Marine Lt. John "J.ŸT." Wroblewski, 25, of Jefferson Township on Wednesday dressed in a Marine dress blue uniform and wearing two dozen medals.

Wroblewski was killed when his unit was ambushed in Ramadi two weeks ago.

More than 1,000 people attended the funeral at Our Lady of the Mountain Church in Washington Township in Morris County, and, in a sea of Marine dress blue mourners, Carlson appeared to blend in.

But one of the parishioners, Thomas A. Cottone Jr., noticed something strange, the FBI said.

Cottone, a family friend of the Wroblewskis and an FBI agent known for unmasking military frauds, noticed that Carlson wasn't in step with other Marines at the funeral, FBI spokeswoman Sherri Evanina said.

For his efforts, Cottone, the FBI's national case agent for investigations into military impostors, especially the Medal of Honor, was made an honorary Marine last year by the Marine Corps commandant.

"At certain points in the ceremony, Marines will do certain things, like saluting," Evanina said. "This individual wasn't doing that. Then he [Cottone] saw the medals."

On his chest, Carlson allegedly wore, among other medals, the Navy Cross, two Silver Stars, two Bronze Stars, three Purple Hearts, a Distinguished Flying Cross, and a Vietnam Service Medal indicating three tours in Vietnam.

Carlson also wore gold "jump wings," a rifle expert badge, and marksman badge.

Cottone approached Carlson after the funeral, and Carlson at first said he had earned all the medals, Evanina said. He later admitted he never served in the military, the FBI spokeswoman said.

Cottone signed a federal complaint against Carlson and served it in Summit as Carlson returned home from work, Evanina said.

"He [Carlson] said he knew what he was doing was wrong," Evanina said.

Carlson apparently has pretended to be a Marine on previous occasions, attending other funerals and military events, Evanina said.

He is scheduled for a court hearing at 2:30 p.m. today at U.S. District Court in Newark before U.S. Magistrate Judge Ronald J. Hedges.

If convicted, Carlson would face fines and as much as six months in federal prison.

E-mail: bautista@northjersey.com

JFH
USN
HC4 1967-1971

Re: FBI takes military fakes seriously

Originally posted by JFH
A Summit man who allegedly posed as a decorated Marine captain at the funeral of a Morris County Marine killed in Iraq has been charged with illegally wearing unearned military decorations, the FBI said Thursday.

Walter K. Carlson, 58, showed up at the funeral of Marine Lt. John "J.ŸT." Wroblewski, 25, of Jefferson Township on Wednesday dressed in a Marine dress blue uniform and wearing two dozen medals.

Wroblewski was killed when his unit was ambushed in Ramadi two weeks ago.

More than 1,000 people attended the funeral at Our Lady of the Mountain Church in Washington Township in Morris County, and, in a sea of Marine dress blue mourners, Carlson appeared to blend in.

But one of the parishioners, Thomas A. Cottone Jr., noticed something strange, the FBI said.

Cottone, a family friend of the Wroblewskis and an FBI agent known for unmasking military frauds, noticed that Carlson wasn't in step with other Marines at the funeral, FBI spokeswoman Sherri Evanina said.

For his efforts, Cottone, the FBI's national case agent for investigations into military impostors, especially the Medal of Honor, was made an honorary Marine last year by the Marine Corps commandant.

"At certain points in the ceremony, Marines will do certain things, like saluting," Evanina said. "This individual wasn't doing that. Then he [Cottone] saw the medals."

On his chest, Carlson allegedly wore, among other medals, the Navy Cross, two Silver Stars, two Bronze Stars, three Purple Hearts, a Distinguished Flying Cross, and a Vietnam Service Medal indicating three tours in Vietnam.

Carlson also wore gold "jump wings," a rifle expert badge, and marksman badge.

Cottone approached Carlson after the funeral, and Carlson at first said he had earned all the medals, Evanina said. He later admitted he never served in the military, the FBI spokeswoman said.

Cottone signed a federal complaint against Carlson and served it in Summit as Carlson returned home from work, Evanina said.

"He [Carlson] said he knew what he was doing was wrong," Evanina said.

Carlson apparently has pretended to be a Marine on previous occasions, attending other funerals and military events, Evanina said.

He is scheduled for a court hearing at 2:30 p.m. today at U.S. District Court in Newark before U.S. Magistrate Judge Ronald J. Hedges.

If convicted, Carlson would face fines and as much as six months in federal prison.

E-mail: bautista@northjersey.com

JFH
USN
HC4 1967-1971
Hey Weeesther...you should take notice here!

We4ster:

Navy Seal: No

Navy: Yes, Aviation Machinist Mate...flew aircrew and f-4 mech

Vietnam: yes

Fooling reneks: Lots of fun

Ever claim to be a Seal other than on this board: No

Couldnt resist jerkin Redneks/Conservatives chain!

Are conservatives gulible: yes

Will continue to pull their chain on political matters!

Get a sense of humor!

The name mac looked up was made up! toooooooooooo funny!

Lose of credibility: probably

Time to ban him

You (Weester) are a disgrace to yourself and the TB.com community. I believe a while back I posted the fact you were a TROLL. You suck not to mention you're an admitted LIAR.

Time for the ignore feature again.

By the way you're lying again. Machinist mates don't FLY aircraft. Did I mention you suck?

Originally posted by lburou
As for military service....I really don't listen to a person because of their military service, or lack of it. I try to weigh the thought process behind the words, or lack of it. I look for a grasp of the facts....

When a person's posts consistantaly demonstrate ignorance of the "big picture," consist of asserted conclusions, vague generalities, and general parroting of talking points prepared by someone else, I put them on my ignore list. They have nothing that adds to the debate, except to stir the pot and start a fight. That seems to be their purpose, not to discuss issues. (You know who you are ;) ).[/B]

I stand by my first post :)

Since a cut and paste is so persuasive for some people....Here's one for you....

May 07
Lonsberry Column

SOMETHING THAT DIDN'T MAKE THE NEWS

Maybe you'd like to hear about something other than idiot Reservists and naked Iraqis.

Maybe you'd like to hear about a real American, somebody who honored the uniform he wears.

Meet Brian Chontosh.

Churchville-Chili Central School class of 1991. Proud graduate of the Rochester Institute of Technology. Husband and about-to-be father. First lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps.

And a genuine hero.

The secretary of the Navy said so yesterday.

At 29 Palms in California Brian Chontosh was presented with the Navy Cross, the second highest award for combat bravery the United States can bestow.

That's a big deal.

But you won't see it on the network news tonight, and all you read in Brian's hometown newspaper was two paragraphs of nothing. Instead, it was more blather about some mental defective MPs who acted like animals.

The odd fact about the American media in this war is that it's not covering the American military. The most plugged-in nation in the world is receiving virtually no true information about what its warriors are doing.

Oh, sure, there's a body count. We know how many Americans have fallen. And we see those same casket pictures day in and day out. And we're almost on a first-name basis with the pukes who abused the Iraqi prisoners. And we know all about improvised explosive devices and how we lost Fallujah and what Arab public-opinion polls say about us and how the world hates us.

We get a non-stop feed of gloom and doom.

But we don't hear about the heroes.

The incredibly brave GIs who honorably do their duty. The ones our grandparents would have carried on their shoulders down Fifth Avenue.

The ones we completely ignore.

Like Brian Chontosh.

It was a year ago on the march into Baghdad. Brian Chontosh was a platoon leader rolling up Highway 1 in a humvee.

When all hell broke loose.

Ambush city.

The young Marines were being cut to ribbons. Mortars, machine guns, rocket propelled grenades. And the kid out of Churchville was in charge. It was do or die and it was up to him.

So he moved to the side of his column, looking for a way to lead his men to safety. As he tried to poke a hole through the Iraqi line his humvee came under direct enemy machine gun fire.

It was fish in a barrel and the Marines were the fish.

And Brian Chontosh gave the order to attack. He told his driver to floor the humvee directly at the machine gun emplacement that was firing at them. And he had the guy on top with the .50 cal unload on them.

Within moments there were Iraqis slumped across the machine gun and Chontosh was still advancing, ordering his driver now to take the humvee directly into the Iraqi trench that was attacking his Marines. Over into the battlement the humvee went and out the door Brian Chontosh bailed, carrying an M16 and a Beretta and 228 years of Marine Corps pride.

And he ran down the trench.

With its mortars and riflemen, machineguns and grenadiers.

And he killed them all.

He fought with the M16 until he was out of ammo. Then he fought with the Beretta until it was out of ammo. Then he picked up a dead man's AK47 and fought with that until it was out of ammo. Then he picked up another dead man's AK47 and fought with that until it was out of ammo.

At one point he even fired a discarded Iraqi RPG into an enemy cluster, sending attackers flying with its grenade explosion.

When he was done Brian Chontosh had cleared 200 yards of entrenched Iraqis from his platoon's flank. He had killed more than 20 and wounded at least as many more.

But that's probably not how he would tell it.

He would probably merely say that his Marines were in trouble, and he got them out of trouble. Hoo-ah, and drive on.

"By his outstanding display of decisive leadership, unlimited courage in the face of heavy enemy fire, and utmost devotion to duty, 1st Lt. Chontosh reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service."

That's what the citation says.

And that's what nobody will hear.

That's what doesn't seem to be making the evening news. Accounts of American valor are dismissed by the press as propaganda, yet accounts of American difficulties are heralded as objectivity. It makes you wonder if the role of the media is to inform, or to depress - to report or to deride. To tell the truth, or to feed us lies.

But I guess it doesn't matter.

We're going to turn out all right.

As long as men like Brian Chontosh wear our uniform.

- by Bob Lonsberry © 2004
more great stuff from Bob Lonsberry at: http://www.lonsberry.com

Status
Not open for further replies.