We started a 63 Impala hyrbid.

wilkinshc

Some Throttle More Bottle
We are doing a ground up restorations with a v-6 (stroker kit, ta aluminum heads, t54, 6pack nitrous) with 200r4 backed up by a ford 9". We are adding an air ride suspension with wilwood disk brakes. We started with a bowtie overdrive crossmember and then fabbed up some motor mounts so the rear of the engine was located close to the firewall giving us plenty of room in front. Should bring the balance of the wieght closer to 50/50. Here's a link to progress, you need to click on the impala album:

65cpe's photos and albums on webshots

It's mostly of the car and not of the v-6 setup but it will be added in time. Our goal for completion is June 15.

Chuck

I LOVE 63 Impalas!!!! one of my all time favorite cars... GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!!!

WOW very nice project :cool:

Thanks again, I am hoping to get more pic of the engine in the car but we are waiting on TA Performance to get the motor done. Should have it back by may 1st, soon after we should have some update pics with the v6.

sweet looking ride. like the vette too. my wife would like a vette. keep us posted on the progress.

Thanks, the vettes mine, it has a ZL1 Ramjet(#110), 200r4, and 12 bolt with 35 spline spindles and 1480 ujoints. I original bought a ta alum. v6 block with billet crank, je pistons, roller cam, ta alum heads, twin turbos, and all the other goodies but I deceided that if I every wanted to sell it no vette guys are going to want a 65 vette with a v-6 no matter how much hp it put out so I switch to the ZL1. It should be done by july 1st. I have my hands full with the 2 projects and still working my normal job. LOL

Chuck

putting a turbo 6 into a vette is a good way to make it fast though. LOL. i would have done it the way you wanted it and if the guy looking at it did not like it he would not have to buy it. someone would buy it from ya

putting a turbo 6 into a vette is a good way to make it fast though. LOL. i would have done it the way you wanted it and if the guy looking at it did not like it he would not have to buy it. someone would buy it from ya

Supercoupe5,

I would have loved the ta engine but I hate to say it, I would never get a GN guy to give me 150k for the car if I decieded to ever sell it, I have already been offered that with the ZL1 when it's finished. Some people have much more then time and experience to do it themselves. Most Buick guys will take the time like me because I have more time then money. ;)

I do have to admit, it would have been fast and more balanced also.
Chuck

We have been making a little progress, motor has stoker kit 250ci, ta heads, roller cam, and a 6 pack foggers setup. Bodywork is almost done and preparing for paint. Chassis is mostly done. Here's a coule of pics:

Chassis has 9in with posi with 3:50 gears, air ride suspension, and wilwood disc brakes all around.

Couple of months and we should have her on the road.

Chuck

What do you have in mind to keep the 2 piece drive shaft in the car? Awesome car, I use to have a 64 chevy sport coupe..

just dont put any hydraulics on it.....

I don't have anything against hydraulics but it's not our style, we did put on an air ride suspension (air bags all around) so we can lower it at car shows or drop it a little when road racing it.

What do you have in mind to keep the 2 piece drive shaft in the car? Awesome car, I use to have a 64 chevy sport coupe..

This is what we are going to use for the driveshaft:

Inland Empire Driveline Service, Inc. - Driveshafts, Pinion and Transmission Yokes, Center Support Bearings

They claim it is good up to 1200hp: 1350 ujoint, solid billet center bearing, and slip yoke so it will adjust for ride height. I have talked with a couple of guys run 502's and 409's and they swear by them. No failures yet. They were run 4-5 speeds and we are running an automatic so we should be easier on it then they were.

Chuck

Lucky stiff with an X-frame but no steering linkage problems..... I'm trying to find a very specific oil pan to clear the rear steer linkage on my '64 Riviera which uses the front suspension simular to a 65-70 full-sized Chevy with the upper A and lower I. Love to see how this turns out in another fullsized car.
Maybe I can get Inland Empire to custom build me a Riviera shaft and carrier bearing assembly since there is no way that I can go to a single and while tough the stock shaft is really old and I've already busted a carrier bearing on a different Riv due to a bad custom rear shaft design. Not to mention the front tube would be custom for the TH200-4R.

Lucky stiff with an X-frame but no steering linkage problems..... I'm trying to find a very specific oil pan to clear the rear steer linkage on my '64 Riviera which uses the front suspension simular to a 65-70 full-sized Chevy with the upper A and lower I. Love to see how this turns out in another fullsized car.
Maybe I can get Inland Empire to custom build me a Riviera shaft and carrier bearing assembly since there is no way that I can go to a single and while tough the stock shaft is really old and I've already busted a carrier bearing on a different Riv due to a bad custom rear shaft design. Not to mention the front tube would be custom for the TH200-4R.

CTX;SLPR

We are going with a rack and pinion steering. Steeriods has a rack unit that on my 65 vette. They use a rack from a 92 cavaliar z24 which mounts the tie rods to a bracket in the center of the unit. The advantage to that is you can adapt a plate to what ever width you need to cancel out any bump steering.

Here is the kit, notice the middle bracket that bolts to the rack unit and the tie rods bolt to the bracket. On the impala we'll make the bracket to the correct width so the pivot point will be in line with the a-arm bushings.

As for rear steering, as on my vette I was considering a TA block and running a dry sump. That would give you clearance for a rack unit. I had purchased a Ta block but then decided to with a ZL1 Ramjet. I figured not many Vette owners would appreciate the v6 when it came to resell value. But in the future I do plan on running a Ta Block when I build a vette to keep.

very nice project.. but i cant help wonder what the fogger nozzles are for

Those are just for looks... Not :D We'll be running a 75hp shot of nitrous. Should compliment the stroker kit (250 cu in), Roller cam, ta alum. heads (ported), roller rockers, and t54 turbo. :wink:

Chuck