water spray for I/C

Waste of time and money. And if you drip water on a track.. and the car following you loses control.. your 2 HP gain may cuase someone elses life to be in peril.

Thanks I have heard of people doing this but was not sure how well it worked. I guess i do now. You know any way to help keep the intercooler cool? Thanks man.

if you have the time in between runs to let it dry so you dont drip everywhere then just get a water bottle with a "bendy" neck or something.

i have seen vendors selling co2 kits for intercoolers.........

Any of you heard about spraying alchohol or nitrous into the intercooler to assist with it chemicaly

im not sure what you mean. alcohol and nitrous are usually sprayed into the incoming air after the intercooler.

honestly I dont know what I am talabout either, just ideas, but I am saying with the alky or NO2 vaporizing in the I/C, will it do a better job cooling. Also adding alky into the intake.

I do not know if this will do anything, just a theory I had ;)

i kind of understand what you are saying. having the alky or NAWWWZZZZZZZZZZZZZ injected directly into the intercooler. i dont think it would matter much where the chemicals were added into the intake airstream. with a normal set up for alky the intercooler will cool off the air and then the alky will cool it off even more. this topic just feels weird.

I had been thinking of doing this ever since I saw an article in a magazine last year. It makes sense if you think about it. Like they said, hold your hand out the window while going down the road ( not while driving of course ). Now mist it with water while holding it out. It feels alot colder. It should help lower the temp of the i/c therefore help lower temps of the air flowing through it. Most people dismiss this idea for safety reasons at the track. My car won't be a track car so I don't see the big deal about running it on the street. The road is plenty hot to vaporize any droplets that fall on it. This is just my opinion though.

Listen, you want to cool the intake charge, get a bigger IC or do alcohol/water injection. You cannot get any transfer out of the IC fins. Hitting the fins with CO2 or NOS will work a little.. but its just a little. Big gains come from inside temp reduction.

Seems the slower cars concentrate on putting water on the IC.. the faster cars dont even do it. Like putting ice bags on the intake..

Once you get your Buick into the 11's..you stop that kind of stuff.

Only works on some imports with wings and huge mufflers.

:rolleyes:

Razor i like that little remark about the imports. Still My other question was if you spay no2 or alky into the intercooler, not on. I don't know if it will do the same thing or not. Razor you are right about the bigger I/C. I need to get one. Not now I am all stock no need. When the time come though I have a pretty good hook-up. I am dating Mark Jackson's daughter. Well any more input will be nice. Thanks all for replying :D

Stock GN IC is good into the 11's with an alky kit. Hell the times in my sig were done on a bone stock unmolested IC.

Running race gas.. and a small turbo.. then an IC will help.

And NOS doesnt help detonation. So cooling the IC gains zero in the KR dept. If the motor is pinging.. you spray it with NOS.. get the shovel out to pickup the pieces.

Bring temps down like I said in the previous post.. big turbo/big IC.. or hit it with alky. Easy

;)

i read a post by some guy that said the stock location intercoolers become heat-soaked....to the point that the intercooler heats the air...i guess his theory is after a few runs...a non intercooled car would get cooler, denser air
but if you have no KR what would that matter?

If you want to road race a GN.. or need to hot lap the car... get a huge Cottons front mount.. they are readily available.

For drag racing it once every hour.. the stocker can do wonders.. just dont hot lap it..

Yes the stocker can work.. but it does have it limits. Just like our tranny's.. hehehe

Easy ;)

i stick to my previous suggestion. get a water bottle. fill it with ice cold water. put a "bendy neck on it. spray your intercooler down between runs if this is a real concern for you. or make some kind of CO2 gun that you can fit behind the intercooler. :D

Originally posted by 87GNcospg
i stick to my previous suggestion. get a water bottle. fill it with ice cold water. put a "bendy neck on it. spray your intercooler down between runs if this is a real concern for you. or make some kind of CO2 gun that you can fit behind the intercooler. :D

Once you break into the 11's..you'll stop doing that.

;)

:D

i dont know anyone who does it. im just saying if this person really wants to do something about the intercooler then go for it.
oh wait, i remember a couple weeks ago at the track a geo storm was spraying his intercooler with a water bottle.

Ummmmm

I use a misting unit from Spearco...went from 109-111mph with it on. It mist the water so fine you get just a chilling affect with no dripping. I used the windshield washer bottle as a holding tank for the DI water and a separate HD washer pump to spray the I/C. The Speaco unit comes with a solenoid which eliminates syphoning and a hobbs switch for activating the pump. Not a bad setup for what I paid for it.

HTH's
Bob

Having alcohol injection you should not need to spray your IC.

Perfect example is the WRX that comes with an IC sprayer. There are plenty of fast ones that show zero gain spraying on the IC.

Your performance increase may have been from different temps when the car was run.

Put it like this, you cool the car for an hour. Do a run. Cool the car for an hour..do a run with the spray on the IC.. you wont see any gain.

The hotter the air hits the alky, the better it flashes..so even if you were spraying, and the temps were to have come down.. it would of been counterproductive.

Time for you to redo your track tests. 5 without spray. Zero changes, temps monitored for coolant to assure they are the same. And easy launches to assure the numbers dont get skewed. Then 5 runs with spray on.. and all 5 of the spray runs should give you a 2 mph increase under same conditions. If you get the mph increase on the 5 runs, next run without... and the mph should come down. No changes to FP, boost, air in tires, nothing.

This is how I test new things on my car.. its the only scientific way I know how to. A few runs.. isnt ever enough.

If it does work this way, put your timeslips up showing before and after runs.. and this will sway us non-believers that it works.