wastegate was reading 100% now reads 80% ?

stevek

I have old ATR wastage and downpipes, the last couple of days out my wastage reading on scan master was reading 80.2% at 28-29 lb boost but before it was reading 97-100 % at 30-31 lb boost, any reason why this would drop? I would like to keep boost up in 30 lb range, Before i did tightened down nut on the spring and it did raise boost up allitle to 30lb but it read 100% also.Maybe it is time to replace wastage or if possible get parts for it, any help I would appreciate it thanks

Attachments

• 2015-08-16 11.24.10.jpg
    2015-08-16 11.24.10.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 98
The Stock ECM has no feedback It just produces a duty cycle that "should" produce a given level of boost for a stock car.

ok thanks so i guess i'll try and tighten down the spring screw some more and open up the bleeder valve more and see what happens, i would like to keep boost up in 30 lbs, It just seems to pull great there.

The gate valve is inside the wastage i take it , I'll remove and take a look.

I had 2 of those gates. Early design.
The first was returned per ATR/Phil Griffith. He did some "mods", and sent me an updated unit.
They are well known for the valve stems galling, and the seats eroding.
I never had a problem w/ mine. It was on the car when I sold it...

I had 2 of those gates. Early design.
The first was returned per ATR/Phil Griffith. He did some "mods", and sent me an updated unit.
They are well known for the valve stems galling, and the seats eroding.
I never had a problem w/ mine. It was on the car when I sold it...
If the one I have is eroded can it be fixed or probably be replaced, if i replace it do you know what wastage I can use that fit's ATR down pipe?

if the ECM chip changed what it was doing...... something must've changed.

Many chips use the transmission pressure switches to drop boost and reduce timing when the switch turns on for 3rd gear and 4th gear.

if the ECM chip changed what it was doing...... something must've changed.

Many chips use the transmission pressure switches to drop boost and reduce timing when the switch turns on for 3rd gear and 4th gear.
I did just change my chip and injectors and this is when it changed looking back at my logs, i thought the wastage just worked off the spring inside it.

The chip sends that command to the little boost solenoid thats connected to the wastegate hose. If you still have it installed and connected it will affect the boost pressure

here is pics of my ATR wastage there is some galling on shaft , the top of the puck still smooth and round , i don't know if it should be thoching walls of wastage but it looks uniform all around, it dose stick out about 1/8 in. or so don't know if normal or not. i cleaned up shaft little and put back on any advice thanks

Notice the pattern on the "puck" vs the one on the flange? Looks as tho there's little seal contact from about 4 to 8 o'clock. Is the stem loose in the guide?
The 1/8" dimension puts load on the seal surface, when bolted together.

there is no play in the stem into the guide it feels pretty solid, maybe i'm getting a bad reading somehow on my power logger, I took a better look at logs and it started before new chip installed I was wrong before. so maybe it is just time to change out the 20 plus year ATR part. I see that the TIAL F38 is a replacement wastgate that fits ATR downpipe , I see a couple of people using them on the site and they look nice too . Any other thoughts thanks.