Wasnt a laughing stock this time. Now what?

BigTurbo6

Finally got back to the track after a year of picking at the car and an embarassing 10.5@69mph last year. Turns out cam was wiped, 02 sensor and Maf were way off. Everything perked up with the new 202/202 cam. Anyways, went back running 18lbs of boost on pump gas with my thrasher 92 and 0deg of knock. 02's ranged from 830 to 770 when the sun went down. Got a 9.3@74mph and a 9.4@75mph and 2.1-2.3 peglegged 60ft times. My question now is where to go from here. Would a a higher timing chip like my kennebell 93 chip be a better strip chip with less boost, or is the thrasher at 18lbs the way to go? I'd like to stick to 93octane until i get dialed in. I tried lowering the fuel pressure from 43lbs line off to 41lbs with no real change. I know a good rear would lower my et via a good launch but what should i do to get more power?

Alky. kit or 100 octane unleaded and start walking up the boost.

Only practical way to make real street power.

I applaud your lack of use of racegas it's good to race the way you drive the car, in MHO. :)

It's amazing what 4 more pounds of boost will do for you. :cool:

Definately posi and some drag radials. You could knock 4-5 tenths off you 60'.

Shouldnt my mph be more like 79mph regardless of my launch? 75mph just seemed low to me, and there was another gn there with same injectors, stock turbo, intercooler, same 18lbs of boost, and he was around 77mph i believe. He had a bowling green chip and i had a thrasher 92 were the only differences i saw besides the posi.

ran 8.6@79mph with stock evreything except the following:
18psi
exhaust cracked open between dp and cat
home made cold air kit
jay carter 17* timing chip

on a hotair.

dont throw go fast parts at it until you can break off a mid 8. that car should be faster...

Is what I'm thinking. The only thing that baffles me now is that the other GN was about the cleanest car I've seen and the motor had been rebuilt and his best time with posi was a 9.0@77ish and the last time i went to the track a guy had a 51 series turbo with 50lb injectors, etc and his best time was a 9.0@80ish. Maybe this track is up hill?

My cars BL's are 128 at idle but drop to around 105 while cruising then climb around 115 during a wot blast. 02's said 825 0.0 / and 770 0.0 when the air cooled down. Seems a tad rich but dropping fuel pressure to 42 didnt seem to change anything. Are 30lb injectors always going to be rich with a thrasher?

Get a posi some good tires.And then work on you're technique.

The mph will come up when the 60 foots come down.My 1/8 mph is always higher when I get a decent 60 foot time.

Parts arn't everything when drag racing!The technique is just as important.

Think about it a car with better parts may 60 foot in the 1.9 range due to how much boost he is leaveing the line at etc.

But if you can leave at 10-15 lbs and 60 foot in the 1.6 range then you will usually beat him to the 1/8 mark.

Mph will be 10-12 mph difference from youre current runs maybe more to the 1/8.

After putting a posi in it, tires and learning how to launch then you should be easily be able to 1/8 in the 7 sec range.

Like somone else said don't just throw parts at it.Install parts that actually work like an eaton posi and some good tires.

Like the other posts say, you have a choice to either add more octane and increase the boost, or increase your 60 ft by getting posi and good tires. Either one will help lower your time.

You may want to get good tires first because it won't be much fun adding power and not have traction. You may be able to get some used rims and slicks or streets slicks (like ET Streets) for a decent price. Not sure with a peg leg, but you should be able to get down to 1.9 or so with slicks. This would get you to 8.7-8.8 or so but not increase your mph too much.

By getting another chip and adding some race gas on track day you can add boost to low 20's and probably get down to 8.2-8.3 or so. You'll have to have a spare O2 sensor on hand and no cat to do this, unless you go the alchy route. Will be easier to use race gas at first and get used to tuning with the higher boost. Just add some good gas, change the chip, and carefully add some boost. You pretty much have to add octane one way or another to add power via increasing the boost. Only other way on 93 octane would be to get heads ported, etc.

Add the posi last (more $) and then lower the 60 ft's to 1.6 and you'll be in the 7.7-7.8 range at 90mph. If you only run the 1/8 your injectors will be good for a while. I had a 7.85@88mph with stock turbo and 30lb injectors in my T on a 1.7 launch at 21lbs boost with a 100 octane chip on ET Streets. Thats with a posi and high stall convertor though. I can maybe get it down into the 7.6s at 90+mph or so with time.

Thanks guys! Those are the answers i was looking for. I think I'll either invest in a eaton posi unit or get a new rear. See if I can get into the 8's with a good launch and then think about race gas and upping the boost. Just kinda scares me on this old motor and I'm about as poor as can be.

Posi isn't 100% necessary. I can consistantly cut 1.8's and sometimes dip into the 1.7's with a pegleg. Just takes some seat time. I'd love to cut 1.5's but a posi isn't in my budget right now.

I'd up the add octane, boost, and change the chip. The T92 is great for the street but seems to lack the fuel on the bigend for 20+psi.

Jeremy