Warning About Parts For Sale

strikeeagle

Time and time again sellers advertise parts at inflated prices as N.O.S. that are still available from GM.

Yes, our cars are 20+ years old, and yes, myriad parts are no longer available, but not all.

There may be good reasons to pay more for something, but among them shouldn't be greed or ignorance. Money is especially tight now, and we are a community that ought to be characterized by fairness.

Try going up to any store or resturant & asking for a reduction in price on somthing you are buying from them. See if it works. It might if you buy in bulk but not a single item.

Buick Vendors are here to make a living not give everyone a break.

This thread is starting to sound like an OBAMA Thought. :eek:

I agree with your point, but a buyer should always do his research before buying

*** HOW TO SAVE MONEY ****

this only works if you've got a good dealer.
Yes, some parts are still available, others are not. but, the part numbers have been changed. so for alot of stuff i just ordered, i had to do lots of research to find the new numbers, then find out what was available, and then negotiate a price.

some dealers want more than the buick vendors would. the guy i used still can't use his arm (because i was twisting it). but i did get a good price, still more than it cost in '87.

the hard part is finding new part numbers, when he looks up parts- they still come back with the old number.

and the downside, you get the number wrong, your stuck with the part.

Try going up to any store or resturant & asking for a reduction in price on somthing you are buying from them. See if it works. It might if you buy in bulk but not a single item.

Buick Vendors are here to make a living not give everyone a break.

This thread is starting to sound like an OBAMA Thought. :eek:

I'm not sure how that's relevant?

Anyway, sticking with the restaurant analogy, let's say you needed a Whopper. One BK was charging $6.09 and implying Whoppers were hard to get. Just for the hell of it, you take a short ride and discover another BK that had all the Whoppers one could possibly want for $3.09 each. You get the idea.

Also, I think most vendors would argue that they can make a living and give buyers at break. And there are plenty of examples of such vendors on this board.

Obama? Can't help you there?

I agree with your point, but a buyer should always do his research before buying

Agreed, but you've been around long enough to know that many, many folks, especially those new to the TR community, have overpaid for so called N.O.S. parts. How would you feel if that happened to a friend? That's the thing, we're supposed to be friends.

Granted, it doesn't happen as often as it used to, because so many parts are no longer available under any circumstances. However, this has resulted in even worse gouging on the few parts reputed to be N.O.S. which are not.

*** HOW TO SAVE MONEY ****

this only works if you've got a good dealer.
Yes, some parts are still available, others are not. but, the part numbers have been changed. so for alot of stuff i just ordered, i had to do lots of research to find the new numbers, then find out what was available, and then negotiate a price.

some dealers want more than the buick vendors would. the guy i used still can't use his arm (because i was twisting it). but i did get a good price, still more than it cost in '87.

the hard part is finding new part numbers, when he looks up parts- they still come back with the old number.

and the downside, you get the number wrong, your stuck with the part.

Absolutely. I have a guy at a local Chevy store who is fantastic at it. It takes a lot of time and savvy and he's been a true friend. In turn, I help his friends with their TRs. Nonetheless, I owe him a lot.

yes BUT lots of people can't be bothered "digging" so they pay the price :biggrin: Guys have charged a lot of $$$ for some parts that are not even NOS (like me with rare GN/TTA parts) . Don't care for the price don't buy it. I really don't see the big deal :p

yes BUT lots of people can't be bothered "digging" so they pay the price :biggrin: Guys have charged a lot of $$$ for some parts that are not even NOS (like me with rare GN/TTA parts) . Don't care for the price don't buy it. I really don't see the big deal :p

EXATCLY!!!!

A person can set a price for whatever they want. If a buyer doesn't want it, oh well. No harm no foul...

One mans junk is another's gold...

If you were forced to buy it, I could see your point of whining... But you are not so why not tend to your own business...

That is the reason we have things like the search function and EBAY... To quote the gov "choice and competition.":p

Agreed, but you've been around long enough to know that many, many folks, especially those new to the TR community, have overpaid for so called N.O.S. parts. How would you feel if that happened to a friend? That's the thing, we're supposed to be friends.

Granted, it doesn't happen as often as it used to, because so many parts are no longer available under any circumstances. However, this has resulted in even worse gouging on the few parts reputed to be N.O.S. which are not.

I'm wondering if you even know exactly what N.O.S. means??? New, Old Stock.

Old stock that was purchased many years ago, but is still unused, usually in it's original packaging.

N.O.S. has nothing to do with what is still available for sale or not.

Geeez dude, get a life and stop trying to trample on someone else trying to sell genuine N.O.S. stuff. (Yes his stuff is the real thing, not GM repops).

If someone wants/needs an N.O.S. part for a restoration project, or if they need a reproduction part for a daily driver that's the buyers business, which way to go, NOT YOURS.

I'm well aware that N.O.S (NOS) = New Old Stock.

By your definition, if I buy a PF47 for my TR in September, it's NOS in October. Don't think so.

Anyway, so I'm a whiny bitch and you guys are, well, what you are.

I'm well aware that N.O.S (NOS) = New Old Stock.

By your definition, if I buy a PF47 for my TR in September, it's NOS in October. Don't think so.

Anyway, so I'm a whiny bitch and you guys are, well, what you are.

Don't be rediculous!! You know exactly the point I was trying to make.

Good grief, get a life.

Works like the goverment too.. Last pull was oct 18th for the TB ebay section :rolleyes:

Always one...

I meant for BIDDING... As in don't like the price, I think you get the point... If I was pushing the section I would have linked it...