Wanting to learn how to build Buick engines

USMC_Turbo6

I'm wanting to learn how to build Buick engines!!!!! The old saying goes teach a man to fish and he will feed himself for a lifetime. Well I would like to learn how to build my own engines, so I can do that. I want to feed myself for the rest of my life. I feel that I will always be a Buick owner or life and I enjoyed my car. I have an extra 109 block, heads, rods, camshaft, cranks ect... I am seeking someone who has the time to teach me on the weekends how to properly build and blueprint a motor. If someone has the time and patience and the expertise that are willing to teach me please let me no I'm not expecting it to be free.

Dee

Last edited:
Start buying Lou some lunches.;) Maybe Neal.

Mike B.

Last edited:
Fishing and engine building is not a good comparison as a hobby, maybe OK as another career path though!

Best way for you to get started is to find a job in a GOOD automotive machine shop, and in a few years you may learn enough to build your own engine.

At that point get a loan for $50k or so to purchase the basic tools and machines, used of course, which you can then build a decent engine.

After a couple hundred builds, and a few years, you can then do engines for others to recover your investment :)

Graduating from Lou's Automotive School of Engine Building would be a much tougher ordeal than a long-term Marine Boot camp!

Neal is out of the question as he has a real job.

Working on cars since 1962 28 years of it on Buick's & I'm still learning. Plus all the investment in tools & cultivating contacts taking all sorts of abuse through the years is enough to make an old grouch out of any one, Right Nick !

Actually building an engine is only part of the equation on building a successful project. You start at the back bumper & change or massage just about every moving part of the car to up to the front bumper. Make one mistake & the results are less than desirable. I have made my share of them through the years. If your afraid of failure & hard work don't even consider trying to be a mechanic.

Knowing what it takes to build a motor and having the proper equipment to do so are 2 different things.

I would find a shop that will let you sit in and watch. Even though you may never get to do machining work, at least you will have an understanding of the measuring and machining processes.

All these years my friend has built engines out of his garage, didnt realize he had 50k in tools hidden in there somewhere lol

All these years my friend has built engines out of his garage, didnt realize he had 50k in tools hidden in there somewhere lol

He has a balancing machine, a precision honing machin, a surface grinder, a boring machine and a head shop? Pretty cool!
I assemble motors in my garage too. Not to be mistaken by building a short block.

He has a balancing machine, a precision honing machin, a surface grinder, a boring machine and a head shop? Pretty cool!
I assemble motors in my garage too. Not to be mistaken by building a short block.
Youre right, machining an engine or engine parts requires a lot of expensive tools. But as long as you have a good person to take care of the machining and then are able to double check their work and assemble it yourself, saves some cash and can still be done right.

Youre right, machining an engine or engine parts requires a lot of expensive tools. But as long as you have a good person to take care of the machining and then are able to double check their work and assemble it yourself, saves some cash and can still be done right.

That's what I'm looking to do....

This is what I did when building a motor your machinist puts it together and takes it apart several time, biggest part of the is finding a machinist that knows these motors, someone you have confidence in and is willing to let you do final assembly.

This is what I did when building a motor your machinist puts it together and takes it apart several time, biggest part of the is finding a machinist that knows these motors, someone you have confidence in and is willing to let you do final assembly.
What is it that people need to know about these motors that makes it so different than any other engine?

What is it that people need to know about these motors that makes it so different than any other engine?

It is not the motors, really engines not motors, but it is the person doing the job.

Not just what the person knows about his trade, besides knowledge, it also requires experience, proper tools and equipment and another very important factor.

The person must be committed and dedicated to perfection, not just ok. The attitude must be to do whatever is necessary to make sure every step of the way is done properly to the standards expected to completely satisfy the customer by delivering a product exceeding expectations for quality and performance. :)

finial assembly of an engine is important and all you really save is $400 to $500 plus void any implied warranty I do it because I enjoy it and I get to double check my machinists work