Want to refresh without breaking the bank.

Turbo89 i guess that is why GM is using roller cams now?? Come on it worked great 30 years ago however cars have come a long way in 30 years. Compare today's cars to 1986, or 1986 car, time moves on and the cars are safer, stop better, handles better and perform better.

They had them back in 87 too .. but didn't use them .. FACE IT the BUICK setup is 30 years old ! .. For a 11.0 car .. no point the money can be spent in ALOT better places ... for a 9.90 car AGREED it's a better solution by far .. but then again the 9.90 audience is another league of owner. They are using direct injection now too does that mean we all need to switch to that ?
They are running 6-10 speed transmissions now too should we switch here too ? Or perhaps we goto blowers since that's what they run now?

I just hate reading " YOU HAVE TO HAVE a Roller Cam setup" that's just Bunk ! you can go plenty fast and be ultra reliable with a flat tappet.

Do you know how many ROLLER CAM setups are installed incorrectly ? And those are by "my machine shop " got me this setup.. There is ALOT in a Roller Cam setup that needs to be checked, I bet 90% of the guys have no clue of how to properly order and setup a Roller Cam. ROLLER Cam conversions done properly are BIG Money ... it's not just jump online and hit the ORDER now button from any Buick Vendor and shove the CAm in and call it good ( which in reality is what happens)

Stock Cam Cars have gone PLENTY FAST and lived reliably .. I wouldn't say they HAVE to be Replaced..

Steve v you are a very good builder but with respect to roller cam i totally agree with Earl, why go with yesterday's technology it makes no sense. If you build a motor with flat tappet cam and send it off to a customer to install and break in the motor, would the cam break in not have you concerned they broke it in right. As you know they always point the finger at the builder even when they caused the problem.
Agree to disagree.

High performance build = no warranty no matter what type is used.

From what i can tell he has a engine run stand for the Turbo buick v6. I agree with you 100 percent though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yes I have a harness that goes on any engine on a stand and I can test run it to check for leaks, noises, and even break-in a flat tappet camshaft before the engine leaves my possession. Today it's all about documentation and covering your but. My posts/videos on social media show each customer exactly what they are paying for and receiving.

Yes I have a harness that goes on any engine on a stand and I can test run it to check for leaks, noises, and even break-in a flat tappet camshaft before the engine leaves my possession. Today it's all about documentation and covering your but. My posts/videos on social media show each customer exactly what they are paying for and receiving.

I like your reply.

Thing is you you speak of your self but has two ts.

I like your reply.

Thing is you you speak of your self but has two ts.
I am not continuing the debate above. If a customer comes in looking for a mild build a flat tappet cam is not something I will through up my hands to and say hell no. If the customer is getting a forged assembly usually they want a roller. And I agree with the post above many ways to screw up a roller install as well. Both have pro's and con's.

In summary, Original Poster, I would suggest a hydraulic roller camshaft kit. Look into meeting local TR guys in your area or have a highly recommended builder on here do it for you. I have 4 trusted builders here in the Chicagoland area and none of them post on forums. Im sure you will find someone close to you. If you decide to go flat tappet, good luck with that as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Some people just do not like change however if you are not on board you will be left behind like 1986/87 cars. I have a Chrysler 300 with 8 speed at 80 mph the rpm is 1500 that plus mds saves gas on a 4400 lb car. That is progress, just like roller cams, fast system, cea ball bearing turbo's, etc our cars are much more reliable and faster due to technology.I have not had one builder Ken Duttweiler, DLS, Twisted six etc, ever ask if i want a flat tappet cam they all suggest roller cams. That is just my experience but you are welcome to use whatever you want.

As long as there are TB engines to build this debate will keep going. I've seen stock ft cams live for 100+ miles. I've seen rollers last 1k miles. So much depends on the cam manufacturer, block machinist, engine assembler and engine installer/starter, combo and of course tuning that there will never be a "right" answer. There are advantages to roller cams but they do cost more. A ft cam can still perform well. Seen a 212/212 ft go 10.2 @132. I've also seen a roller cammed engine go high 11s. I agree with what was said above, if you're going forged go roller. The reason is you're remachining already so you might as well spend on the minor mods for a billet roller. BTW, I would only use a billet roller too. The failed one I saw was not. So I guess the best I can say if do your research and find someone that is knowlegable on setting up valve springs, rocker arms and lifters.