VH-1's top 100 rock bands of all time

Originally posted by DCEPTCN
'Inventors' who, like many, openly admit to ripping off early American blues. Why the heck wouldn't Robert Johnson or Lightnin' Hopkins be in the list?!?!:mad:

Yeah. INVENTORS. First to purposely use feedback on a recording. Used all kinds of different instruments and sounds in there music before others did.
I'm not saying The Beatles weren't influenced by others before them. I'm just saying they had a HUGE impact on rock n roll music. They definitely changed it and set the bar high. Very high!

Originally posted by DCEPTCN
I'm just politely disagreeing, but I think once Glenn Danzig grew up a little he went on to form Danzig with, most notably, John Christ. The Misfits couldn't play, wrote the most juvenile lyrics in the world, today are still making a fortune merchandising to 'misunderstood' :rolleyes: kids and even selling the rights so that you could see a beyond rediculous pack of WWF 'wrestlers'. I just can't see giving so much respect to a four-chord band with nothing to say. 'Top' anything lists are rarely about who is the best, but rather, who is/was the most popular.......I dare anyone to tell me that Pete Townsend is better than Buckethead, but many seem to think so because they got their first piece of tail listening to 'Pinball Wizard'.

problem being,the only people on this board who know who buckethead and john christ are are you,me and any other guitar players...

good guitar playing doesn't automatically make good music,and a lack of stellar lead work doesn't make music suck.there are hundreds of bands that i'd listen to before i'd endure guitar geek rock like dream theatre,satch,vai or yjm.if you're a great guitar player but can't write a song that doesn't suck ass,sorry i'm not listening...

the thing about the misfits was that there wasn't anything remotely like them at the time,and they spawned a million clones.obviously the first 3 danzig albums are better music,but that just shows danzig growing up a bit.

Originally posted by ross87t
Yeah. INVENTORS. First to purposely use feedback on a recording. Used all kinds of different instruments and sounds in there music before others did.
I'm not saying The Beatles weren't influenced by others before them. I'm just saying they had a HUGE impact on rock n roll music. They definitely changed it and set the bar high. Very high!
Well, INNOVATORS or not I (my opinion) don't think that even 1/2 of a % of those who are most popular are the most talented. I mean, wasn't Quiet Riot on that list? :confused: :eek: :confused:

Originally posted by 89SandBagger
1. The Who
2. Yes
3. Cream
4. Allman Brothers
5. Steely Dan
6. Black Sabbath/Ozzy
7. Jethro Tull
8. Grand Funk
9. John Melloncamp
10. Dire Straits

OK, everyones entitled to their opinion, but seriously- How can you have Ozzy and Melloncamp 3 SPACES APART?!?!?! You gotta be kiddin' me with that John Cougar Melloncamp junk! Sometimes I envy older guys for having lived in the "good old days", but not if it meant listening to this crap.

And who said Rush? C'mon man! Rush?!?! I'd rather slam my d!ck in a sliding glass door than listen to Rush! :D

Stones' 67?? and The Cult ,lower than Blue Oyster Cult and Faith No More ("one hit wonder" Top Ten!!) PPPLLLEASE. that list would make GREAT toilet paper

METALLICA #1 21 Years and running strong, I believe they should be top 1 along Sabbath,Skynyrd,The Doors and Megadeath
Otto

Originally posted by KLHAMMETT
METALLICA #1 21 Years and running strong, I believe they should be top 1 along Sabbath,Skynyrd,The Doors and Megadeath
Otto

Running strong? What do you call that last album? No offense.

I think its funny how many 1 hit wonders/terrible bands IMO are on there. Soundgarden better than Pink Floyd wtf, crack anyone?! That list is kind of messed up when you compare one of the bands to a band that got ranked higher. Jethro Tull and the Doors should of been WAY higher, Guns and Roses should NOT be in the top 10. KISS blows. I agree with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath though, I won't even get started on Hole. No CCR on there?

my 2 cents

The New York Dolls are listed AHEAD of the Stones!!

confused:

By the way this list was made by musicians and other professionals in the music industry.:

A quick list I made.

1. The Beatles
2. The Rolling Stones
3. Pink Floyd
4. The Eagles
5. The Doors
6. Led Zeppelin
7. Aerosmith
8. U2
9. Nirvana
10. Several others could go in this spot

"Rollins Band"??? LOL!!!

Was this list "Best Bands of Rock" or "Hard Rock", because I don't get it, and think it's a major pyle of dog dookie.

Originally posted by turbosam6
1. The Who
2. Yes
3. Cream
4. Allman Brothers
5. Steely Dan
6. Black Sabbath/Ozzy
7. Jethro Tull
8. Grand Funk
9. John Melloncamp
10. Dire Straits

OK, everyones entitled to their opinion, but seriously- How can you have Ozzy and Melloncamp 3 SPACES APART?!?!?! You gotta be kiddin' me with that John Cougar Melloncamp junk! Sometimes I envy older guys for having lived in the "good old days", but not if it meant listening to this crap.

And who said Rush? C'mon man! Rush?!?! I'd rather slam my d!ck in a sliding glass door than listen to Rush! :D

Lets hear your list of bands? Since we have had a discussion about this once before in another thread, maybe I should bash your crap bands such as Metallica? Dont get me started on Lar's "fantastic" drumming. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Captain Mark
The New York Dolls are listed AHEAD of the Stones!!

confused:

By the way this list was made by musicians and other professionals in the music industry.:

Yikes, must of been the people on Britney Spears or Jessica Simpsons record labels........

Lets hear your list of bands? Since we have had a discussion about this once before in another thread, maybe I should bash your crap bands such as Metallica? Dont get me started on Lar's "fantastic" drumming. :rolleyes:

I think some of the top 10 are legitimate.

8 The Who
7 Van Halen

5 Metallica
4 AC/DC
3 Jimi Hendrix

1 Led Zeppelin

I think these bands deserve to be in the top 10. They have sold more records and/or influenced more people than just about anyone. Or revolutionized the industry. I would put Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen in that category.

As for AC/Dc and Metallica.....are they great players, no. There are guys in Dallas TX that can play circles around Kirk Hammett and Angus Young, and Pete Townshend for that matter. I would say their longevity of delivering a quality rock product has put them on this list. When you go see either of those bands live, you know what you are gonna get......a quality rock show. They deliver and that has to count for something.

I heard an interview of Pete Townshend talking about the first time he ever heard endrix play. He and Eric Clapton went together. he said all the big British bands were there to see him. It was the first time Hendrix played in Britain. The thing I remember the most is what Townsend said to Clapton after the first song he played. He said he looked at Clapton and said,

"We're gonna have to go find another job man" He said Clapton just had this sick look on his face and said nothing.

I think that proves where Hendrix should be ont he list. He truly revolutionized rock music.

Originally posted by Captain Mark
I think some of the top 10 are legitimate.

8 The Who
7 Van Halen

5 Metallica
4 AC/DC
3 Jimi Hendrix

1 Led Zeppelin

I think these bands deserve to be in the top 10. They have sold more records and/or influenced more people than just about anyone. Or revolutionized the industry. I would put Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen in that category.

As for AC/Dc and Metallica.....are they great players, no. There are guys in Dallas TX that can play circles around Kirk Hammett and Angus Young, and Pete Townshend for that matter. I would say their longevity of delivering a quality rock product has put them on this list. When you go see either of those bands live, you know what you are gonna get......a quality rock show. They deliver and that has to count for something.

I heard an interview of Pete Townshend talking about the first time he ever heard endrix play. He and Eric Clapton went together. he said all the big British bands were there to see him. It was the first time Hendrix played in Britain. The thing I remember the most is what Townsend said to Clapton after the first song he played. He said he looked at Clapton and said,

"We're gonna have to go find another job man" He said Clapton just had this sick look on his face and said nothing.

I think that proves where Hendrix should be ont he list. He truly revolutionized rock music.

I agree that alot of them deserve to be on their, but certainly not in the order they were listed, some of them being so far off.. I read about the same interview with Pete and Clapton:) Perhaps i'm just looking at the list from to much of a musicianship standpoint? I agree that Pete is mediocre at best on the guitar, but there is noone in rock- ever IMO that compares to Moon or Entwistle, none of this lame Bonzo triplets or Neil Pearts boring rolls around his kit. Curious as to what type of music you play, Mark.

My 10 favorites is as follows.

1: Jaco Pastorius
2: Buddy Rich
3: Benny Goodman
4: The Who
5: Yes
6: Cream
7: Allman's
8: Moody Blues
9: Tower of Power
10: Steely Dan
+1 more - Tool

Others I like, but to a lesser degree.

Dire Straits, Foriegner, Bad Company, Rush, The Band, Ricky Scaggs, Merle Haggard, Patsy Cline, Desert Rose Band, Nitty Gritty and many others :)

I just burned myself some CD's this week. Here is some of what I am listening to right now.

AC/DC
Pantera
Stones
Soundgarden
.38 Special
Foreigner
Moody Blues
Grand Funk
David Bowie
Fountains of Wayne
Cream
Satriani
Susan Tedeschi
Arc Angels
Journey
The Who
Radney Foster
Rodney Crowell
The Mavericks

This is why these people make this lists - to stir interest and controversy. And everyone gets all hyped up about who should be where, which is exactly what they want. It's a real cheap and easy method of putting out a product. All the music magazines do this when things are slow and they don't have any good interviews.

It's all a matter of personal taste. As inferred, you can't have a person who is a guitar player or who concentrates on guitar driven music with the same viewpoint as a singer, a drummer, a keyboard player, a critic, or a fan of a particular genre.

Also, people who do not know older bands and are more familiar with newer stuff will almost always relate to what they know.

It's always fun to listen to opinions though!

My solution: convert the whole country to communism and let you only listen to the propaganda broadcasts, no music at all.

Signed.... Mark with 4,000 cds (all bought, never copied or napstered), 2,000 albums (all bought, never copied or napstered), 6 home stereos and a few dozen guitars.....

Originally posted by mark b
This is why these people make this lists - to stir interest and controversy. And everyone gets all hyped up about who should be where, which is exactly what they want. It's a real cheap and easy method of putting out a product. All the music magazines do this when things are slow and they don't have any good interviews.

It's all a matter of personal taste. As inferred, you can't have a person who is a guitar player or who concentrates on guitar driven music with the same viewpoint as a singer, a drummer, a keyboard player, a critic, or a fan of a particular genre.

Also, people who do not know older bands and are more familiar with newer stuff will almost always relate to what they know.

It's always fun to listen to opinions though!

My solution: convert the whole country to communism and let you only listen to the propaganda broadcasts, no music at all.

Signed.... Mark with 4,000 cds (all bought, never copied or napstered), 2,000 albums (all bought, never copied or napstered), 6 home stereos and a few dozen guitars.....

I couldn't agree more. I listen to all kinds of stuff. I even have my parents old Sinatra and Ray Charles albums! I'll even listen to classical. I also have way to many guitars and equipment. Also a BMI registered songwriter.