VH-1's top 100 rock bands of all time

Excellent Mark! Very cool on the BMI. I have zero artistic ability
(and even less technical ability...ha!)
...but music is to be enjoyed in whatever form you like

I don't know what life would be like without it, but I don't care to find out. Maybe that's my layer of hell awaiting!

Originally posted by Captain Mark
My vision of hell would be in a room with a never ending loop of Kenny Chesny videos!:D
No way, man- more like Andy Gibb!:D

the bad brains are an all black rock band that came about in the 80s and influenced a ton of modern musicians such as 311. where the hell is 311 on this list??

Bryan

Bad Brains..... that's why you have to consider impact to the music scene as part of the criteria. Virtually no one heard of these guys, but they had a unique combo of reggae, punk, rock, etc.

Top 100? Who knows, but.... related to the Hendrix comments I'd say this: He is arguably the greatest "electric guitarist". Any guitar player knows you must consider a lot of things when saying "great" and usually you are forced to sub-genre players.
You can't directly compare a classical player vs. a jazz one vs. a rock one. But..... I have to say that aside from Hendrix, I'd have to consider Jeff Beck right behind him. 40 years later the guy is just beyond belief.

Does that make him a "top 100 rock band"? Probably not since he's considered a "solo artist" .... but that's why these lists are so hard to agree on.

I've never heard of MC5 or The New York Dolls.
I agree with most of the list, but dramatically disagree with the ranking.
My question is: How did they come up with the list and how was the ranking established?
Many of the bands on the list I hate but will not argue that they shouldn't be on the list.
I love Slayer and I love Led Zeppelin, but I would hardly put them on the same list of anything (except bands that I love).

Hendrix died pretty young, who knows what woulda happened had he lived a fuller life.

Also everyone likes different stuff, sometimes its hard to see why someone else likes something.

I agree with Black Sabbath being #2. They were basically the pioneers of hard rock/heavy metal. Sabbath had to break many barriers and their band is still around today. They have a lot of great songs IMO.

Chill bro, just voicing my opinion, no offense intended. My list would be, in no particular order cuz I just can't decide:

Staind, Metallica, Pantera, Stones, Nirvana, Guns n' Roses, Megadeth, Danzig, Hendrix, Zeppelin, and Motley Cru. All subject to change daily, depending on mood. :D There needs to be a "Rock" and "Classis Rock" list.

My personal Hell would be a never ending loop of "Knights in White Satin". Ug, gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

Knights... that's funny. Of course, sometimes good things come from bad things. Robin Trower came from Procol Harem (sp) and I think he's one of the great (or cool) guitarists; certainly one of the top ones in the 70's. I'll have to revisit the list to see if the Moody Blues are in there...

Originally posted by Captain Mark
Nirvana is another band that "invented" a genre of music. They claim Nirvana invented the Grunge movement.

I thought Neil Young invented "Grunge". No mention of him anywhere?

Eric Fisher

Originally posted by mark b
Knights... that's funny. Of course, sometimes good things come from bad things. Robin Trower came from Procol Harem (sp) and I think he's one of the great (or cool) guitarists; certainly one of the top ones in the 70's. I'll have to revisit the list to see if the Moody Blues are in there...

I was a big Trower fan back in the '70's. I about wore my bridge of sighs 8 track out! Of course who did he sound like....Hendrix. Or tried to.

Moody Blues is not there.

Originally posted by turbofish38
I thought Neil Young invented "Grunge". No mention of him anywhere?

Eric Fisher

A lot of the Seattle based bands say that Neil Young was a big influence on them. That surprised the heck out of me, but it makes sense. Scroungy looking and a bad guitar player!!:D

I like some of Neils's stuff though, I couldn't help it.

45 Pantera ??????????
I think Pantera needs to be in the top 25 they are way better than half of the bands listed below them!

1.Who ever Ima listening to on a constant loop... right now that would have to be The White Stripes

here are my constant favorites:
2.Stevie Ray Vaughan
3.Led Zeppelin
4.The Chile Peppers
5.Queen(actually #3)
6.Yes
7.Pink Floyd
8.Down To The Bone
9.The Offspring
10.The Beatles