VH-1's top 100 rock bands of all time

Captain Mark

Didn't agree with all of it, but a very interesting list. So do you agree, or not?

100 Quiet Riot
99 Bad Brains
98 Mountain
97 Primus
96 Meat Loaf
95 Fugazi
94 Yes
93 Lenny Kravitz
92 The Black Crowes
91 The Misfits
90 Rainbow
89 Lita Ford
88 Tool
87 King Crimson
86 Foreigner
85 Whitesnake
84 UFO
83 King's X
82 Queensryche
81 The Pixies
80 Green Day
79 Ratt
78 Marilyn Manson
77 Hole
76 Bon Jovi
75 Spinal Tap
74 Pat Benatar
73 Twisted Sister
72 Foo Fighters
71 Lynyrd Skynyrd
70 Living Colour
69 Megadeth
68 Hüsker Dü
67 The Rolling Stones
66 Joan Jett
65 The Cult
64 Steppenwolf
63 Boston
62 Ministry
61 Jethro Tull
60 The New York Dolls
59 Bad Company
58 Anthrax
57 Heart
56 White Zombie
55 Blue ýyster Cult
54 Sonic Youth
53 Korn
52 Faith No More
51 Thin Lizzy
50 Slayer
49 The Smashing Pumpkins
48 Janis Joplin
47 Rollins Band
46 Scorpions
45 Pantera
44 ZZ Top
43 Nine Inch Nails
42 The Kinks
41 Ted Nugent
40 Stone Temple Pilots
39 Crazy Horse
38 MC5
37 The Yardbirds
36 Frank Zappa
35 Jane's Addiction
34 Alice in Chains
33 Rage Against the Machine
32 The Doors
31 Def Leppard
30 The Red Hot Chili Peppers
29 Mötley Crüe
28 Rush
27 Iggy Pop
26 Motörhead
25 Cheap Trick
24 Iron Maiden
23 Judas Priest
22 Deep Purple
21 Pearl Jam
20 Alice Cooper
19 The Clash
18 Ozzy Osbourne
17 The Ramones
16 Cream
15 Pink Floyd
14 Soundgarden
13 Queen
12 The Sex Pistols
11 Aerosmith
10 Kiss
9 Guns N' Roses
8 The Who
7 Van Halen
6 Nirvana
5 Metallica
4 AC/DC
3 Jimi Hendrix
2 Black Sabbath
1 Led Zeppelin

No Beatles?

I believe they got VH1's:
#1 "Artist"
#1 "Album" w/ Revolver

They are not "Rock"?

In this case I assume they are calling them a pop act. I was wondering about U2 and Elvis also.

This was supposedly classic rock, metal and grunge bands only. No pop acts.

Sorry Guns and Roses shouldn't be in the top 10.

The Sex Pistols should probably not even be in the top 100.
How did they come to the conclusion that The Sex Pistols are better than bands like The Doors?

The claim is they were the "inventors" of punk music. So they invented a whole genre of music.......

whatever, I'm with you on that one.

Originally posted by b4black
Move Rush up, Nirvana down, & Guns N Roses waaayyy down.

Loose Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, Ratt & Hole

Add DISTURBED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nirvana is another band that "invented" a genre of music. They claim Nirvana invented the Grunge movement.

Rolling Stones #67??? NO Beatles??? Jane's Addiction is better than Frank Zappa? Man, someone was hitting the crack pipe when they came up with that list! Too many other bands that shouldn't even be on the list. Who the hell is the Bad Brains? #99

Pretty good list as long as its Van Halen with Sammy Or Diamond Dave not the newer stuff - The Crue rules :)

What a terrible list..Where to begin. UFO, Quiet Riot, Hole, The Pixies, Bad Brains should not even be on the list. It amazes me that such crappy bands are listed well before bands like Yes, Bad Company and Boston. Hell, I didn't even see Grand Funk on the list. Zepplin does not deserve to be at number 1 spot, should be more like #7 or 8. The Who IS the best rock band ever, can thank Keith Moon for naming zepplin.. And Steppenwolf at #64?! What a joke, that crap band had 1 radio hit, yet they are better then almost half the others listed?Right.....AC/DC and Kiss do not belong in the top 10, if it was up to me not even the top 100. Bon Scott LMAO.. Twisted Sister, Sonic Youth, MC5, CRAZYHORSE?? Kind of curious as to where they got the band selections from, people still lost in the trash 80's, or people in their early 20's?
Definatly the most bizzare ranking is Yes at #94. Hardcore classic rocker here..My choice for top 10 atleast is as follows.

1. The Who
2. Yes
3. Cream
4. Allman Brothers
5. Steely Dan
6. Black Sabbath/Ozzy
7. Jethro Tull
8. Grand Funk
9. John Melloncamp
10. Dire Straits

Granted not all are rock, Steely being the exception, but is my top 10 none the less. I like certain Hendrix songs, but not worthy enough of top 10, same goes for Foreigner, Bad Company and Deep Purple.:)

thankfully,70's/80's arena/buttrock isn't the only genre to fall under the "rock" category...:rolleyes:

if i have to explain who mc5,bad brains and the misfits are you wouldn't get it anyway...

i agree that the sex pistols shouldn't be in the top 20.they didn't invent punk rock as it is today,the ramones did.the ramones and the misfits should both be top 10.:cool:

Originally posted by WFO
thankfully,70's/80's arena/buttrock isn't the only genre to fall under the "rock" category...:rolleyes:

if i have to explain who mc5,bad brains and the misfits are you wouldn't get it anyway...

i agree that the sex pistols shouldn't be in the top 20.they didn't invent punk rock as it is today,the ramones did.the ramones and the misfits should both be top 10.:cool:
I'm just politely disagreeing, but I think once Glenn Danzig grew up a little he went on to form Danzig with, most notably, John Christ. The Misfits couldn't play, wrote the most juvenile lyrics in the world, today are still making a fortune merchandising to 'misunderstood' :rolleyes: kids and even selling the rights so that you could see a beyond rediculous pack of WWF 'wrestlers'. I just can't see giving so much respect to a four-chord band with nothing to say. 'Top' anything lists are rarely about who is the best, but rather, who is/was the most popular.......I dare anyone to tell me that Pete Townsend is better than Buckethead, but many seem to think so because they got their first piece of tail listening to 'Pinball Wizard'.

Oh yeah, and I am in no way defending buttrock...the next time I hear Ratt's 'Way Cool Junior' somebody is gonna pay with their life.

This is going to be very unpopular, but I just can't get into Led Zeppelin. They have some pretty good tunes and good musical talent but not much more than that in my opinion.
I guess I just get tired of Robert Plant moaning, and whining like he is having sex with his microphone pole.

Pink Floyd kicks @ss.

I still think the Beatles should be in there. They are not pop. They were inventors and paved the way.

Originally posted by ross87t
This is going to be very unpopular, but I just can't get into Led Zeppelin. They have some pretty good tunes and good musical talent but not much more than that in my opinion.
I guess I just get tired of Robert Plant moaning, and whining like he is having sex with his microphone pole.

Pink Floyd kicks @ss.

I still think the Beatles should be in there. They are not pop. They were inventors and paved the way.
'Inventors' who, like many, openly admit to ripping off early American blues. Why the heck wouldn't Robert Johnson or Lightnin' Hopkins be in the list?!?!:mad: