Very easy fuel pump change on a TTA

jswmotor

Vicious
I have now seen it all !!!!!!

I am helping a friend install a fuel pump in his TTA. We get the tank almost to the ground. I look up and see sheetmetal screws above the tank location. Someone cut a large hole in the area above the fuel pump and put sheetmetal with sealant back over it. I thought this fuel pump was hard to change :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pics avaialble.......

Nothing like some good ol' hackery.

I wanna see some pics of this.

The fuel pump isn't that hard to change, must of been really lazy to cut up a TTA.

TTA access panel

Before you buy a TTA look under the hatch carpet!!!!!

Attachments

• TTA.jpg
    TTA.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 354
if you use an access door like from jegs it can be done nice- that is hacked together

ajt86 said:
if you use an access door like from jegs it can be done nice- that is hacked together

That's what a lot of the LS1 and just 4th generation F-body guys do. Makes it very easy and can be done neatly but for a nice and collectable car like a TTA I would rather bend the filler tube a little if needed.

yes - we do that on the 4th gen cars - cut a small access door behind the rear seat. very simple, clean, hidden, and WAY easier than dropping the tank

My friend wants to fix this back to factory look with another sheetmetal top. I told him the damage is done and I can fabricate a nice flush "access panel" that will look great and not show a hump in the carpet.

What would you do??

jswmotor said:
I can fabricate a nice flush "access panel" that will look great and not show a hump in the carpet.

What would you do??

that is what i would do. it's an access panel hidden under the carpet. it's not like we're cutting out a hunk of the frame or something.

Personally, I'd suggest using a hatch/ cover, where there are flanges that overlapped with the body. There's not much worse then fire bleeding into the interior of a car, IMO. With that done, and some sealer, I don't see, *why not?*.

I've seen allot of these "hack jobs" on some of the 3rd gen boards ... personaly I rather take down the fuel tank even if the access hole / door can be done really nice but you still have to cut the hard fuel lines and most people just replace them with rubber hose and some clamps this can of course be done differently as well but I rather not go this route and would not buy a car where someone done this either but that is just my personal view ;)

Here's one I found http://www.tacs.nu/forum/download.php?id=3086

I think cutting a hole in the floor and not the tank/lines, making the panel, messing with the lines, removing the carpet, and getting it all where it looks correct after your done.. would of been faster to pull the tank and done it correctly to begin with.

Lazy person always works double..

Whew!

Hi,
That is a sorry piece of work. I think if I had to do it, I would drop the tank and be done with it. Reminds me of when they used to cut out the fender wells to get at the blower motors on old GM cars. Pathetic!

I just did one over the weekend on a lift :rolleyes: I am concidering doing the ......... never mind :p what a suck job ... guess thats why ya get the big $$$ to do them ;)

I pulled my tank to put in feul pump and it was'nt very bad. But you know after reading all these threads and all the bi-otching who would really know the difference if they did'nt pull the tank or the carpet? If a tree falls in the woods and no one there to here it does it make a sound? ;) And I will agree it could have been done a lot neater.

The damage is already done so just make a nice neat access cover for it and be done with it. I would never do it to a car that hasn't already been butched though.

hahahahahhahah

No seriously hahahahahhhahaha

I wish someone had cut hoels in my cars before I bought it lol

Never cut into it yet, done 4 pumps an 3 cars and all were done in 2-4 hrs whether drive way or on a lift and how fast I wanted to do it.

But it is not the big deal everyone makes it out to be, provided u make a clean and sealable access hatch for it.

Many, many foreigns cars have a design very simliar to that, usually its a plastic/rubber cover over the hole to access the pump. Lots of time right under the rear seat :). And dont think its limited to foreigners either, some of the domestics are doing the same thing now. Remember cars are all about use of space nowadays and how many cup holders. Side saddle tanks allow for more fuel and less interior intrusion.

later
Jeremy