Velvet ants?

charlief1

RIP Charlie!
I was under a truck the other day replacing the clutch and throwout assembly and felt something that hurt like hell. Thought I'd found a piece of metal and rolled over on it, which has happened before. When I got out from under it I see this fuzzy looking redish ant that was larger than most that I'd ever seen. I stepped on the little bastard just in case and got someone to check my back just in case it was a piece of metal. No metal but a small mark on my back it seems. I mentioned it to someone else and they told me I'd been stung by a velvet ant.

Last night I was using a back scratcher and felt a lump when it went over the same area. I looked in the mirror and found an angry looking red spot right about where I'd been stung. Since I've never had a sting react quite like this I looked up what this little bugger was. It turns out that it may look like an ant but it's really a flightless wasp that stung me.:eek: When I found out it was a sting and not metal in my back I took an anti hystamen since I'm allergic to a bees and wasps to some degree. If you've never encountered one of these little buggers be careful and try to kill them if they're near you or your kids. The sting is quite painful and they're also called cow killer ants.o_O

Look like this Charlie, that is actually a wingless wasp.
velvetantx450.jpg

That's the little bastard Ty. I believe I mentioned it was a wasp but is called a velvet ant since it looks so much like one. The spot it stung me is about the size of a silver dollar and itches like crazy after 2 days.

I started seeing them here in northern Va abut 3yrs ago and they move fast. Where are they from ?

That's the little bastard Ty. I believe I mentioned it was a wasp but is called a velvet ant since it looks so much like one. The spot it stung me is about the size of a silver dollar and itches like crazy after 2 days.
A good shower helps with the itching.

You have "that" luck dude.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I started seeing them here in northern Va abut 3yrs ago and they move fast. Where are they from ?
They're native in most cases it seems and have a wide range. The males have wings but no stingers but the females sting so watch out for them

A good shower helps with the itching.

You have "that" luck dude.

Took a shower every night after getting the truck done since I was so dirty David. It does help but it still frigging itches.:(

After cutting down a tree up north I decided to take a break and sit on the stump. Needless to say the giant wood ant didn't agree and actually bit my ass cheek through both my jeans and briefs. LOL

Tobacco poultice will help -
we used to have 'em all over North Zulch (Bryan/ College Station)
Mean bast*rds!
The fire ants wiped 'em out, though.

Do_O

Got lots of those out here in the desert, especially after it rains.

Never had a problem with them... kids play with them all the time. Just bugs to us.

Just don't piss em off and there harmless and fun

Well it was Charlie....probably reeked of his firewater and rotten eggs.

Ty's the only one that's had my "firewater" so far and before he got it his wife took a sniff and left it for him to drink.:D Once a certain payment for a weapon shows up then I'm doing a triple batch to keep up with demand.;) I don't want to loose my M1 Garrand match rifle but it's going to a good home at least.:)

I have seen tons of those velvet wasps in Louisiana......they are everywhere. Luckily never got stung. Did get tore up with fire ants once though.....

Bryan

Never got stung by one but see them often. We call them cow killers too. From what I hear depending in where it gets you it can be pretty bad.

The only ant worse is known as a Bullet Ant. Google it. A bite from that will feel just like you were hit with a bullet, hence, the name. Probably the worst insect bite of all insects.

Damn I never thought I would see a cow killer ant again... first and last time I saw one was in Fort Benning during boot camp... It stung a D.I. he lost his military bearing real quick...