VALVOLINE VR1 ..WILL PISTON RINGS SEATS

YAKO

Hi ,I just started up a new rebuilt 1o9 using VR1 20-50 in the gray plastic quart my question is will I have problems with ring seating as this oil seems to be a synthetic..

Hi ,I just started up a new rebuilt 1o9 using VR1 20-50 in the gray plastic quart my question is will I have problems with ring seating as this oil seems to be a synthetic..

I wouldn't break in a new engine with synthetic.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

VR1 in the grey bottle is non-synthetic. VR1 in the black says synthetic right on it.

If it says VR1 racing...Not Street Legal, which i think is a gray bottle..then it's not a synth. Regular Valvoline 20/50 contains .13 percent of zinc and .12 percent of phosphorus compared to the Valvoline VR1"Not Street Legal" Racing Oil contains .14 percent of zinc and .13 percent of phosphorus. I would imaging it would state clearly if its synth. or not? Also, Brad penn/Joe Gibb break-in oil should be considered too.

If your hone job matches the rings you won't have any trouble seating the rings. Just don't fire it up and let it idle forever. Make sure to put a load on them (but don't overheat them during the bedding in process).

I have already given the engine 3 or 4 bursts of 15 lbs of boost ,I will put on some more mileage (100) and do a leak down.

They are as 'seated' as they're going to get. Change the oil and run it.

I usually do 10, with much less boost.

I will drive car around for a couple of hundred miles and do a leak down and cut open oil filter...THANKS GUYS

I would be interested to know what the leakage is with a few hundred miles on it, also cranking compression if you do it.

Don't be to alarmed at your 1st oil change and filter cut open party. Mine was scary looking but, the car runs strong and no problems, it's been a few yrs now and it gets driven a few times a week at least.

Chuck