Valve Springs???

dank GN

BlackArts Automotive (661)993-8277
i just got my heads done and come to find out my vavle springs are junk what are some good springs for a stock cam ???

What springs did you use? I've seen a lot of guys using the comp 980's. I actually ordered Kirbans before finding this out. They will being going on this week. Will let you know what the pressure readings come back as.

what are some good springs for a stock cam ???

Comp 979's are closest to stock (just a smidge stiffer), 980's are yet a bit stiffer and about as stiff as you want to go with the stock cam.... either will be fine as replacements for worn out stockers..... :)

I used CC 980's and did not need to reuse the stock spring cups.

I have Kirbans LT1 valve springs on my car now, they've been on there for about 12-13 years without a problem.

This is all with a stock cam right??? I have some cc980 coming on fri

Just got my pressure readings on the Kirban springs...110 lbs :eek: Too high for my set up, no benefit, and not worth the risk. Looks like you made a good choice with the 980's. I'm re-ordering and doing the same.

I just installed them and shimmed them up to 1.720 I should be up and runnin in a week or so thanks for all the input

i have a stock cam and stock springs like you guys! did you guys feel a diffrence or see any gains from swapping out old stock springs to the new springs? supposedly good for 2 tenths at the track?any opinions on this?

how long does it take you guys that are not professionals to do this in the car?

i have a stock cam and stock springs like you guys! did you guys feel a diffrence or see any gains from swapping out old stock springs to the new springs? supposedly good for 2 tenths at the track?any opinions on this?

how long does it take you guys that are not professionals to do this in the car?

I had approximately 80,000 miles on my stock springs and they measured in the 50 lb range when we took them off.:eek:
My new ones measured in the 90 lb range. I can feel a difference in the upper end, keeps pulling strong now. Not as drastic as I first thought it would feel but definitely an improvement. No times to back that up though.

After getting the valve covers off and using some clean rags to block all the holes in the head so you don't loose a keeper down there, I took my time and used the yellow nylon rope in the spark plug hole to hold the valve up, about 2 hrs a side. I used the kirbans valve spring tool.
Tarey

After getting the valve covers off and using some clean rags to block all the holes in the head so you don't loose a keeper down there, I took my time and used the yellow nylon rope in the spark plug hole to hold the valve up, about 2 hrs a side. I used the kirbans valve spring tool.
Tarey

what was your mileage when you did this and did you feel any gains or go to the track and gain any time?

I have about 55,000 miles on it. I started it up and it ran ok, but I'm laid off right now so I don't have any $$$ to put insurance on it to drive it. :frown:
Tarey

I've used GM LT1 springs before and they work great. Now I've got a set of CC 980's that I will be installing and reusing the spring cups and adding a shim to get the closed pressure higher.

In gm high tech performance magazine a few years ago they said replacing your worn valve springs was worn 2 tenths in the quarter mile. Can anybody back that up?

The reason i ask is i am not a mechanic and i work slow but i am sure i can do this but it will take me several hours but if it is worth 2 tenths i will do it otherwise the valve springs from 1987 will stay in there.

In gm high tech performance magazine a few years ago they said replacing your worn valve springs was worn 2 tenths in the quarter mile. Can anybody back that up?

The reason i ask is i am not a mechanic and i work slow but i am sure i can do this but it will take me several hours but if it is worth 2 tenths i will do it otherwise the valve springs from 1987 will stay in there.

Valve springs is one of the first mods you should do on these cars along with the other normal stuff unless the car is primarily a grocery getter.... ;) Most definately worth it.