Valve guide cutter question? Does the CC cutter prep the OD and Hight??

Tim Cucci

Looking at the Comp Cams pilot 4732 and cutter 4726 to cut my exhaust guides down on my Ported and Polished iron heads with smooth stem SS valves. Does the cutter prep the OD and Hight of the guide at the same time?

Thanks

You control the height by how much you take off, but yes it will leave the guide at the correct OD for the seal you choose. Choose the cutter and seal that are the same OD. You can put a valve spring shim on the seat so you don't remove any material there. Simple job.

That cutter set is for .530 seals and the price is right. Not sure if your intake guides are already cut, but if so, measure them so you can make them all the same. They could be .500. To get the height right find out your gross lift at the valve. Cam lobe lift X rocker ratio if it is not a stock cam and you have the card. Cut a test guide enough to put a seal on the guide. Put a valve in the guide and put a seal, spring retainer and keepers on the valve. Measure from the top of the seal to the bottom of the retainer and add .060 for clearance. You can use a dial caliper to measure if you don't have snap gauges and mics. When you have enough clearance, measure the height of the cut guide and make the rest the same. Take your time and go slow so you don't go too far. Your cam may have different lift for intake and exhaust, so cut to the highest lift. I like metal clad viton seals, but any viton seal works well. I don't care for teflon seals, but they work too.

Intake guides are .531. I ordered the cutter, pilot, and felpro 518-12 seal set all for 100 bucks. Should be here Monday or Tuesday. I never really realized this problem till I took the engine apart and saw the wet cylinders and Combustion Chambers. Started researching and realized I should have had seals on the exhaust guides. This explains a lot about certain issues I was having. I've just always thought the seals were not needed on exhaust side. I've got a great set of heads and have really not seen the full potential from them. I'm really confident about solving some issues now.