Need to cut EX. Valve guides down for seals? P.P. Stock heads. SS Valves

Tim Cucci

I have stock ported and polished heads with Ferra SS valves. Roller cam setup with beehive springs. I just took the engine apart for bearing knock issues. The engine was smoking a little and during the tear down I noticed everything from the intake runners down to the pistons and plugs had oil moisture and plugs were wet. After research on this board I've come to the conclusion that the Exhaust Valves having no seals in place may have caused a lot of the smoke and oil in the runners and combustion chambers. The heads are really in good shape and I don't feel as if they need any valve work.
My question is do I need to have the exhaust guides cut down for seals and can this be done by drill press and end mill and or by hand. I would like to do it myself. How accurate does this work really need to be?

You can by the tool and do it in a drill. Just besure you get the right tool for the valve seals you are running. It's easy and no trip to the machine shop needed. Look at Goodsen for the tool.

You can by the tool and do it in a drill. Just besure you get the right tool for the valve seals you are running. It's easy and no trip to the machine shop needed. Look at Goodsen for the tool.
I have stock ported and polished heads with Ferra SS valves. Roller cam setup with beehive springs. I just took the engine apart for bearing knock issues. The engine was smoking a little and during the tear down I noticed everything from the intake runners down to the pistons and plugs had oil moisture and plugs were wet. After research on this board I've come to the conclusion that the Exhaust Valves having no seals in place may have caused a lot of the smoke and oil in the runners and combustion chambers. The heads are really in good shape and I don't feel as if they need any valve work.
My question is do I need to have the exhaust guides cut down for seals and can this be done by drill press and end mill and or by hand. I would like to do it myself. How accurate does this work really need to be?
Exhaust valve seals will help a lot as far as oil being burned in the combustion chamber and blown out the exhaust in the form of oil smoke.
The oil in your intake runners is not from lack of exhaust seals.
I'd look at the seals on the turbo.
The oil your seeing is entering the engine WAY before the exhaust seals.

The cutter you need will have an 11/32" (.341) pilot and the cutter will be .500 or .531 depending on the inside diameter of your seals. TA Performance has seals and cutters, or Goodson is a good source. Most cam companies also list cutters. The exhaust guides need seals or it will smoke badly at idle if the guides are cut down. If you have Ferria valves then the exhaust stems should be smooth, unlike the stock exhaust valves which will not work with seals. Measure the retainer to seal clearance and cut the guides so you have about .060 over the gross valve lift of your cam. I use a 1/2" drill to cut the guides.

You need to verify the valves you have are indeed replacement without the step. If they are modifying them is very easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to verify the valves you have are indeed replacement without the step. If they are modifying them is very easy.

Valves are definitely replacement Ferrea SS valves without the oil step. The only cut is for the keepers. Hmmm? So your saying cut the oil groove in the valve stem like the original exh. valves?? Hadn't thought of that.

Valves are definitely replacement Ferrea SS valves without the oil step. The only cut is for the keepers. Hmmm? So your saying cut the oil groove in the valve stem like the original exh. valves?? Hadn't thought of that.

No. cut the guides for positive seals