Value of T Type

^^ I agree with Corsair231. Everything was on point.

My issue with yet another GN is that they all look the same. If you're ever been to a big Buick show (like Bates or BG), it's a sea of black cars that are similar in appearance. I've always liked the TR because it's unique. If I go to a local show I am likely to be the only one there with a TR. I'm usually surrounded by Mustangs and Camaros. I don't want to be like everyone else.

Among the Turbo Regals, it's hard to stand out with a GN. It's just another black car. BUT, a WH1 stands out. An oddball color stands out. Hell, a TTA or SY/TY would also stand out as well. (Yes, I know they're not TR's but they're along the same lines- and I've seen all 3 at various Buick shows).

I guess it really depends on what you're wanting and why-like Corsair231 says.

Buy what you like. I know very few car guys who come out ahead money wise when the sell if they are honest about the time and money that gets put into their car. It's about enjoying the journey and the camaraderie along the way. If you are about turning a profit there are much easier ways.

As the proud owner of a silver "granddad's" Buick. I love it. Vinyl roof, cornering lights, column shift, pillow top split bench cloth seat and plush carpet!
When I take my Turbo T to a car show almost everyone walks by it. Next to no one even takes a look at it. I often have to explain that it isn't an Oldsmobile. But I could care less cause I love it. And when a car guy notices it we have a great chat. I know my T will always be 15 to 20% less in value then a GN in the same condition. Simple, people want GNs that's why in 87 GM built just over 20000 of them and only 1035 Limiteds. But my love for my T won't be rattled by simple economics!!!

Thanks for the info guys. I am just a regular guy that wonders if the price for some of these cars is a bit much when it comes to mileage, condition and modifications if any. I know am being too picky but I want to buy a car that will be with me for a long time! No interest in flipping or buying another persons problems. I have concerns when a simple legitimate question is not answered but by another question..

It's just money. If you like the car and intend to keep it, have a friend who knows the cars along with. Gives a more unbiased opinion. I know I get excited when I'm buying a car.

Thanks for the info guys. I am just a regular guy that wonders if the price for some of these cars is a bit much when it comes to mileage, condition and modifications if any. I know am being too picky but I want to buy a car that will be with me for a long time! No interest in flipping or buying another persons problems. I have concerns when a simple legitimate question is not answered but by another question..

If this is the way you truly feel then your answer is a simple one. Barring any major mechanical or cosmetic differences between the two buy the one that speaks to you and then do it your way. Don't worry about mileage if you are planning to drive it. Many times a car that has sat needs more TLC than one that has been driven but taken care of correctly. (Remember you're not talking about a purchase of a sensible two year old car that will be a daily driver, you are talking about an emotional purchase. You are seeking one of these cars because you want one.) A 50 k mileage difference in a 30 year old car is less than 2 k miles a year. That's not much.

Any unwanted bolt on modifications can be unbolted and even if you just do stock replacements (why anyone one would is a mystery) a turbo, injectors, a front mount, and a chip cost the same thing no matter if it is going on a 200 k mile T or a 50 mile GN (or GNX). About the color, truth is that although they are only original paint once they are both still 30 year old paint jobs (and bumper fillers). It is not much more to two tone a car than it is for a one color paint job. As long as it is a quality job value won't suffer either way.

The point I'm trying to make is if the car is going to be yours long term then stop worrying about what the next owner will want. Buy what speaks to you and make it your own. This way the only person who's answer matters is yours.;):D

If this is the way you truly feel then your answer is a simple one. Barring any major mechanical or cosmetic differences between the two buy the one that speaks to you and then do it your way. Don't worry about mileage if you are planning to drive it. Many times a car that has sat needs more TLC than one that has been driven but taken care of correctly. (Remember you're not talking about a purchase of a sensible two year old car that will be a daily driver, you are talking about an emotional purchase. You are seeking one of these cars because you want one.) A 50 k mileage difference in a 30 year old car is less than 2 k miles a year. That's not much.

Any unwanted bolt on modifications can be unbolted and even if you just do stock replacements (why anyone one would is a mystery) a turbo, injectors, a front mount, and a chip cost the same thing no matter if it is going on a 200 k mile T or a 50 mile GN (or GNX). About the color, truth is that although they are only original paint once they are both still 30 year old paint jobs (and bumper fillers). It is not much more to two tone a car than it is for a one color paint job. As long as it is a quality job value won't suffer either way.

The point I'm trying to make is if the car is going to be yours long term then stop worrying about what the next owner will want. Buy what speaks to you and make it your own. This way the only person who's answer matters is yours.;):D

Lou Czarnota spent a good deal of time making a pretty little white 87 Turbo Regal California Emissions Legal in 2010.

Then he sold it to me and was promptly told to make it an 11 second car. He did so. I had him do it for several reasons.

In the past 28 years, he's already made all the mistakes and learned from them. I know a little but no longer have the time, patients (why can't I ever spell that version right?), or wish to spend the money to do it over again if I screw up.

A few years later and many, many more than a few lively discussions as to my little "Snoozr"'s future and she's a solid mid 10 second street car all day long at only 20lbs of boost.

There are some VERY respected and experienced folks on this board that can help you achieve whatever goal you are seeking.

In CA and AZ the guys are Lou Czarnota and Nick Micale, respectively.

Many here will assist you in finding the guy you need.

You can DIY it, too. Lot's of good info here. I will say though, these cars are sensitive and tricky............ Really tricky.

There are endless variations and possibilities and yes, most of them look very similar. Yet all of them , and lets say 100,000, even 200,000 TOTAL Turbo Buicks were produced over the years ( No, I'm not going to look up the numbers for all you aficionados)........ but that's a one year run of Mustangs or Camaros in the same time period.

Think about that if you're looking for a unique car. Then make the car yours and enjoy it.

Last edited:
T-types are muscle cars, the gn is the show car, some of those rare optioned t-types id rather own then a gn, and ive owned both.

By the way, well said! Merry Christmas!!