Value of T Type

eagleguy

Would a solid color 86 T-Type with 30K and minor upgrades be the same or lesser value compared to a 86 WH1 T Type with minor upgrades, both cars having the same options and both in nice condition.
I have a dilemma as they are both the same price and I like the WH1 colors but I do believe the solid color T Type may be in a little better condition with less miles to boot and needing less work.

Too many variables. To get a better idea we would need to know the colors (inside and out) of the ttype and of course, the options for each car.
Pics would help the "experts" see any issues that a "novice" might not catch.

I am only looking for a general opinion as to if a T Type WH1 would be more valuable than a standard solid Gray T Type options and condition being somewhat equal .

In this case barring any major mechanical or cosmetic differences the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The one you like best will be the one most valuable to you. All I can say is that a car needing less work would sure seem to be worth more to me.

^ I agree. I like the look of the WH1 but it's not something I would buy. I had a solid grey T. It was great.
Buy what you like. If you want to buy for resale, buy a low mile GN or at the very least a black ttype. (Black seems to be the "it" color to buy for these cars)

^^ I agree with both of the above. WH1 is far more rare production wise, but in terms of resale value, folks only seem to want to pay the bigger dollars for the black one.

Here are some production numbers:
http://www.gnttype.org/general/product.html

If you have to spend 1-2k more to get a rarer one running better, I don't think you are gonna make your money back in cash, only in enjoyment. Buying the one that appeals to you, your personality, and your goals the most is the best way to go.

When I was a kid, the all black car appealed much more to me. My ttype (Black of course) was washed and waxed every weekend and was the terror of the town.
These days when I do have the chance to take one of the cars out, it's a production. I have to dust it (due to sitting under a cover in the garage) and then I have to try and plan my stops so that the car never leaves my sight. Then every stop light is honking and waving and the occasional Honda that revs on me. Gas station visits take an hour because everyone wants to tell me about their friends cousin who had the twin turbo one and of course the car ALWAYS has the attention of Johnny Law.

As I've gotten older I've come to appreciate a true sleeper. My preference would be something with a bench and column shift and some old man color (sage, cream beige, rosewood, light blue, D84) with maybe a landau top to boot. :eek: The idea is that it doesn't attract attention and still packs a nice wallop!

Between a WH1 and a solid grey I'd prefer solid grey. But, even the grey ones seem to attract too much attention.
If you want rare, buy an 1982 GN. I love to see them restored.

I hear ya Turbo39151, I love all these cars. When I visit car shows, I am lucky if I see a single TR there. If the local Buicks have a gathering, the first ones I am drawn to are the T's. Most of the time I don't care what mods are done under the hood, I am asking about options and looking at the color combos. There is just so many different combinations, it's fun to see what everyone has. Like a throwback to before options packages. Oddly enough, I am the complete the opposite if I am looking at a GN. I don't care if you have the defogger with electronic climate control or not, I wanna know what ya did to the motor!!

When I was growing up, and didn't know anything about anything (wait i still don't! hehe) I honestly thought all T-Types were solid Grey. I had no idea about all the other colors. Funny thing is now, I rarely see those grey ones. If I had to choose between a WH1 and an all grey... man. I'd see how I was doing on the mortgage and see if I could swing em both!!! (don't i wish)

'87 Turbo Regals aren't a bad option, either............:D

I drive the snot out of mine and attend every show-n-shine I am able to. More than once I've heard about that twin turbo from the factory car, too.......... it belongs to some guy's best friends brother-in-law's dad.........

Attachments

• 191.JPG
    191.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 110
  • 192.JPG
    192.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:
'87 Turbo Regals aren't a bad option, either............:D

I drive the snot out of mine and attend every show-n-shine I am able to. More than once I've heard about that twin turbo from the factory car, too.......... it belongs to some guy's best friends brother-in-law's dad.........
No they are not. I just like the T Type badging.

To each, his own.

That is what was so cool about Buick in "82 -86 (7)"

Sooooooooo many combo's.......

IIRC I was under the impression that the 86 model t-types had the most variants. Maybe GM was reigning in all of the oddball stuff going on by 87. Not sure. All my 87's have been nice but relatively basic.

I seem to recall seeing a two tone rosewood (Not a D84 but more like a WH1), with limited cornering lights and padded half-roof with exterior opera/coach lights. I'm not sure it was a limited but I could even swear it had the light up dash plaque. Maybe I'm imagining things...

As for Guy's T, well... that's a damned fine looking car and with engine work by papa Lou- you know it's more than show.

Buy the WH1!
You've been looking for it a while now haven't you?
Yes I have but there have been some issues above and beyond the norm with the ones I have been interested in that need to be addressed. Odds are less favorable because of the number made and I won't settle for just anything. I am hoping to only do this once, LOL

IIRC I was under the impression that the 86 model t-types had the most variants. Maybe GM was reigning in all of the oddball stuff going on by 87. Not sure. All my 87's have been nice but relatively basic.

As for Guy's T, well... that's a damned fine looking car and with engine work by papa Lou- you know it's more than show.

Thank you for the compliment!

I think something you should consider is what are your plans for the car. Is this one of your bucket list cars you want just because you thought they were the baddest thing going? Do you want a T because you love the sleeper image? Is this a car you are buying just because it stirs your soul? Are you planning on driving it more than showing it? Are you planning to keep it forever? or are you already planning to resale it for a profit in the future?

If you answer yes to any or all of the first five questions then mileage is not really a factor for what you are looking at. Barring any major problems such as rust or a toasted engine, 85k is not high mileage for an almost 30 yr old car and the basic spring cleaning is not going to cost much more than on the 30k one. You made need somethings the lower mileage car doesn't like a new turbo but most owners upgrade anyway so that cost is really apples to apples. In this case then buy what you want based on what you want not what you think someone else will want in the future.

If you answered yes to the last question then you will never be able to really enjoy the 30k car as it was meant to be enjoyed. You will be too afraid to run up the mileage where you will be more likely to drive the 85k car because there will be less impact on the perceived value. Also although the 30k will bring on the up scale of T values it will still not bring black car money. Cars as a whole are bad investments but if it is an investment you are looking for then skip the T's and find yourself a GN because no matter how badas* the current Sith Lord is everyone knows that Vader was the man. :blackalien: