Vacuum vs Powermaster vs Hydroboost

Black Sunshine

Slacker
Hi I think my Accumlator ball went bad and since a replacement is so pricy I am considering just getting the whole system changed out with something different. I tried a search and found a Vacuum vs powermaster debate but not one with all 3 systems put against each other. So what are the pros and cons of the 3 systems and what would you do in my situation and why? It is a daily driven car. Money is slightly an issue. However, I still want what's best for my car so if I got to spend a little more so be it.

Vacuum is the quickest/easiest for a daily driver and works just fine.

New or used parts work too and are easily found usually locally or easily by a bunch of vendors.

An accuumulator ball is cheaper than any change however.

The reason you don't really see a test of all three against each other is because the only fair way to do it is to compare all three systems on the same car. The health of the other components in the braking system is a huge variable. Some people will say their vacuum system won't hold 2 psi at the line and they will blame it on the type of system rather than investigating other components. There are plenty of people who have great success with ANY braking system because they do it right. :) Just my opinion...

It is agreed that vacuum is the quickest and easiest and can be just silly cheap if you source used parts as noted above. Would I put used parts in? Probably not, but that's my personal preference.

Hydroboost is a challenge, but the parts are easily sourced. You just have to be ready to deal with the shortcomings of a stock TR system, most notably the lack of an accumulator. If your engine shuts down, no brakes. There are aftermarket kits that have accumulators but they can be pricey. You can also look at systems for other vehicles that include an accumulator, like the Chevy Astro van. To give you an idea of price, a complete system will run you around $325 for remanufactured parts specified for a 1984 Turbo Regal.

I think if I were you and you just want your brakes to work, I'd replace the ball and change the fluid every year or so. Keep it clean and it will reward you. Powermaster gets such a bad rap.

Why did I change to hydroboost? I drove all three examples in similar cars and chose hydro for the pedal feel. I didn't care about stock appearing and I wanted a nice project to occupy some summer time. With no other changes to the system, I can say that it improved my braking quite a bit. Can I quantify it? Nope. Can I feel it? Yep.

My powermaster failed and once that happened I was done with it and went vacuum . I havent had any issues but in the end my power master was havig issues because my front brake lines were bad . It was a lesson learned for me . I agree with 1quick6 all of the components make up braking not just one part. These cars sit more than anything else

Seems like this question always cycles up on forums.

IMHO I would say... It depends on what you are going to do with your car , how it is modified, if any from stock and do you understand that the Powermaster system needs to be serviced. Most Powermaster systems I have repaired for others NEVER had a thing done to them.

Warning! Big shock here!

Bleeding out the old fluid goes a long way to prolonging the life of ANY braking system.

I have had really good luck with Cardone's rebuilds. Know that policies from vendors vary. I hear bad things about Autozone. I hear and have had good experiences with Kragen/O'Reilley. A lifetime warranty is pretty nice. And if the program ends with Cardone. I get my orginal purchase price back from O'Reilley. I know, I know there are others that will want something more though however. And yeah those people are "special"......to someone.

I've had the accumulator disolve it's inner rubber diaphragm twice in my car's system. ( I'd really have to look to see when I originally bought it) and had no problem getting a warranty replacement either time on the whole Powermaster from Cardone/O'Reilley. The one in my car now has a date of 12/4/09 that I marked on it when I installed it.
Your choice.

Thanks for the info everyone. I also heard that vacuum don't hold well at the line compared to powermaster. I wish my car sits more than it does. I hate putting so many miles on it since I have no other car to drive. I think I am just going to replace the ball. I was willing to spend an extra hundred or 2 to change to a different system if it drastically improves the performance of the braking. I don't really want to put used parts in either. Was tempting though since someone is selling a used vacuum setup on these boards currently for under a hundred just needed a new vacuum block. Sounds like none of the systems are a dramatic improvement over the other. So guess I'll just take care of my PM and hope it does end up rewarding me. Car currently has 120K miles on it. When the PM does go out down the line hopefully I will have the money to put new stuff in the car.

Hey 1quick6, those Russell speed bleeders you use can I get those at a local parts store or do I need to special order them?

I was willing to spend an extra hundred or 2 to change to a different system if it drastically improves the performance of the braking.

From what I understand the vacuum system does not improve the braking, but actually has worse performance than the PM.

Hey 1quick6, those Russell speed bleeders you use can I get those at a local parts store or do I need to special order them?

I have seen them at Advance Auto in the HELP! section, but I don't think they had the right size at the time. I just ordered them online since it was a Monday and I wasn't going to do the project until the weekend.

They come in packs of two, so one pack for the front and one pack for the rear.

Fronts are PN 639580 - 10mm
Rears are PN 639520 - 8mm