vacuum brakes

dnovot1

Thinking about upgrading to vacuum brakes. I've been fight a losing battle with the powermaster. I know kirban's sell the complete kit for 498. Does anyone have another resouce? If my understanding is correct the vacuum brakes are the way to go. any feedback would be great.

And when he says complete he means complete! Best $150 I ever spent.

dnovot1 said:
Thinking about upgrading to vacuum brakes. I've been fight a losing battle with the powermaster. I know kirban's sell the complete kit for 498. Does anyone have another resouce? If my understanding is correct the vacuum brakes are the way to go. any feedback would be great.

Use the search, dude.

marred4life said:
come on dont start anything

Start what? A search for "vacuum brake" in thread titles produces 55 threads, and almost all of them have the information he needs. Starting another thread to ask a question that has been answered at least 54 times already only adds confusion.

Never realized there was a searh button. thanks for the tip. I'm pretty new to this board.

Talk to "Red Regal T"...i bought his vacuum conversion kit over 2 years ago....and its running strong! I think i bought it when it was less tha $150.

Damn inflation! LOL!

BUT...trust me...if it is $150 now...well worth it! Holding 10-15psi @ launch...something the powercrapper COULDN'T DO!! And WAYYYYYY more reliable.

Los

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

I Ask The Question. If Buick Thought It Was A Good Idea To Bolt On A Standard Regal Vacuum Booster (that Cost Them $12.00 New) On A Supercharged Engine, In A Fast, Heavy Car, Then Why Did They Not Do It? The Power Master Cost Them Several Hunderd Dollars To Use. Supercharging A Vacuum Booster Puts Pressure On The Hose, Causing It To Blow Off, Or Pressure On The Check Valve, Causing It To Blow Apart. They Did Not Want That Kind Of Liability. Oddly Enough The 83-85 Turbo Regals Came From Buick With Hydroboosts! No One On This Forum Has Ever Complained About Them! They Are Still Working. Buick Tried The Powermaster As An Experiment, With No Knowledge Of Their Performance 20 Years Later. They Believed The Full Size Car Was Dead In The 80's. This Was A Last Hurrah For Performance. The Only People Here Bashing Hydroboosts Are 2 Guys. If A Hydroboost Can Stop A 14,000lb Truck Or Motorhome, Has Been On The Road For 32 Years Nonstop, Who Is There To Say "it Won't Work"?

POWERBRAKEBOB said:
I Ask The Question. If Buick Thought It Was A Good Idea To Bolt On A Standard Regal Vacuum Booster (that Cost Them $12.00 New) On A Supercharged Engine, In A Fast, Heavy Car, Then Why Did They Not Do It? The Power Master Cost Them Several Hunderd Dollars To Use. Supercharging A Vacuum Booster Puts Pressure On The Hose, Causing It To Blow Off, Or Pressure On The Check Valve, Causing It To Blow Apart.

Nobody is bashing the EXPENSIVE hydoboost. We're bashing you for your repetetive misrepresentations. Pressure on the hose? Oh, poor baby! 25 psi of pressure. Oh, the humanity. :rolleyes:

POWERBRAKEBOOB said:
They Did Not Want That Kind Of Liability. Oddly Enough The 83-85 Turbo Regals Came From Buick With Hydroboosts! No One On This Forum Has Ever Complained About Them! They Are Still Working. Buick Tried The Powermaster As An Experiment, With No Knowledge Of Their Performance 20 Years Later. They Believed The Full Size Car Was Dead In The 80's. This Was A Last Hurrah For Performance. The Only People Here Bashing Hydroboosts Are 2 Guys. If A Hydroboost Can Stop A 14,000lb Truck Or Motorhome, Has Been On The Road For 32 Years Nonstop, Who Is There To Say "it Won't Work"?

So, what's your explanation for Turbo transam? Why did GM go back to vacuum brakes and not the hydraboost? Listen, if someone wants to give you a $1000 for your unit, I think that's just fine. Just stop misrepresenting the facts. I can just imagine the kind of guy you are in person. :rolleyes:

I have recently decided to switch to the vacuum system and here is why. My
brakes failed on my car . With 30 years of driving that has never happened to me with vacuum . I am not pro or con hydro-boost power master what ever . I am not going to spend 400 to 1000.00 or maintain the originality of my car to experience one minute brake and then all of a sudden that hard brake feeling . I got lucky I was in the inspection line when the brakes failed.I drive my cars and drive them hard . The risk of that happening while going down the track isnt worth it for me . I know alot of people that read this forum have never had a problem ,stick with it but once was enough for me.
Red Regal I hope my box is on the porch when I get home .

bought a kit from Red Regal , very nice guy. Have been using it with no problem...nice piece of mind. Didn't the 89 TTA come with vaccum brakes :rolleyes:

bought a kit from Red Regal , very nice guy. Have been using it with no problem...nice piece of mind. Didn't the 89 TTA come with vaccum brakes :rolleyes:

Yes, the only real difference between Red's kit and the other TTA type kits being sold is the Vaccum block. Red's kit T's into the PCV where the TTA's have a different vaccum block on the TB that has a place for a booster hose. I think Kirban sells an aluminum vaccum block for 30.00 bux if anyone wants one.

I have the aluminum vacuum block on my T, it looks great. Also, I have had vacuum brakes for well over a year and love them. My wife would not drive the car before, the brakes scared her. Same story when I let my dad drive the T about 10 years ago.

I bought Red Regals Kit and I must say he has been very helpful . I have dealtwith other people that walk away from you as soon you purchase something . I was a little worried but again he has patiently helped me threw the conversion . I am having a problem with Vacuum going to my PCV . What is the difference in the vacuum block and Reds set up . I checked on top of my throttle body and I have 5 lines the 5th going to the PCV just like the Kirban picture . How is the kirban set up different from stock . Did you have an idle problem once you did the conversion ?
. I have about 3.5 inches before going into the pcv . I didnt want to cut it to short because I couldnt figure how to run it . I just clamped the system to see if I am losing air .
Can anyone send me a picture of their set up

kirban has two different vacuum blocks. the tta block has an extra port on the drivers side for vacuum brakes.