USB adapter??

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Spent the entire day trying to get the FAST supplied usb adapter to work.
I d/l'd the Windows 7 drivers several times.[from FAST site, and the adapter mfgr site]. Every time, I got the com1 not working..Checked device mgr.. Said com3. Made sure setup was on 3.
Our systems guy tried 2 times... same thing.

Is there a known problem w/ the part supplied in the harness kit?

Windows 7 is on the new lt....

I tried mine out and worked OK. USB on COM3 and serial on COM1.

Allan G.

Just checking to make sure you didn't get this error when trying to update your box to 2.0? I did... had to flash the box before I could look at any tables or configuration.
Tom

i on't give a chit what fast or everyone else says - win 7 on a netbook didn't work for me. the usb adapter only worked half the time. get a computer with a real serial port

i got a toughbook cf-28 touchscreen with xp and it works perfect. in fact i had bought several of the toughbooks at a volume discount, nobody in the buick world bought the first one from me, i just gave the last one to a neighbor.

but i do know where you can get a cf-18 tablet (smaller than laptop) in buford for 500 cash, and it does have some upgrades on it, but they only have 1 or 2 left.

That's exactly..

i on't give a chit what fast or everyone else says - win 7 on a netbook didn't work for me. the usb adapter only worked half the time. get a computer with a real serial port

i got a toughbook cf-28 touchscreen with xp and it works perfect. in fact i had bought several of the toughbooks at a volume discount, nobody in the buick world bought the first one from me, i just gave the last one to a neighbor.

but i do know where you can get a cf-18 tablet (smaller than laptop) in buford for 500 cash, and it does have some upgrades on it, but they only have 1 or 2 left.

what I have been wondering. The shop owner had bought a new lt, just to do cars w/ efi. It has 3 usb's and no serial port. [Said the old lt battery was toast]:rolleyes:

My older lt has a serial, weighs #'s more, is slower, has XP Pro on it. I'll bet the farm, it'll work!:D

Thanks for the input, guys....

Someone else had said the same thing about using a older laptop a long time ago. i tried it, and it worked so good that i didn't spend any more time attempting to use that adapter. the computer itself may be slower, but the logging rate with the serial port is almost in real-time.

from what i gathered, people with the upgraded version of win 7 seemed to have better results than the people using win 7 starter eition.
vista worked a little better.
but xp and a serial port is KING!
i may try 2000 and see if i can get c-com to automatically turn on and load when the car/computer is powered on.

I just talked to 1 of the goorus.. He said 7 has a tendency to create problems, and may change ports without notice...NICE :O(-

I just advised the owner to get a batt for the old LT, and quit ph%%king around!

Wow am just going through the same thing with windows 7 . My old laptop died and i've been trying to get the new one to connect with the XFI .So far all I get is error codes .:(

I had no problems communicating with the FAST XFI through the Prolific USB to Serial adapter on my Dell notebook with Windows 7 Home Edition for a few months then after an update of Win 7, I kept getting incompatible software errors. This error was similar when trying to communicate using C-Com 2.001 on the notebook with an older Flash version in the XFI box.

Finally got a GigaWare USB to Serial adapter at Radio Shack. Had to remove the Prolific driver then install the GigaWare drivers and now the communication between C-Com software and the XFI box works like a champ.

Update...

LT owner got the old lt up and running. I installed the drivers from the FAST website. Working fine.
Got the flash to 2.0 done..Then the "fun" started...No inj or ign fire.
Box back to FAST...After a week long "waltz me around, Willie"..They decided on a new box.
Box in yesterday. Engine fired and we began the tune process...NO WB!:mad:
Checked the UEGO voltages...Box $hit the bed.
3rd box to be here Monday....:rolleyes:

This is very odd. Last month, I had a customer in GA with an EST problem. Other than that, I haven't had any real hardware issues and we sell a LOT of them. Hopefully FAST is helping to make the situation better.