POWERLOGGER AND WINDOWS 7 PROBLEM

JAMIEPACURN

I've spent over 6 hours trying to figure out why I can't get this Powerlogger to communicate with Windows 7. I just downloaded the current version of powerlogger 2.6.0 which is running with Scanmaster 2.2. When I turn the key on with motor off, I see the green light flickering inside the kick panel so I know the powerlogger is getting power. When I plug the usb cable into the lab top I hear it chyme letting me know its connected to the computer. The port is set on com 3 which is what is set with the system manager. I see the green connect button and click on it and have also hit F8. Nothing happens. I start the car up and no gauges are even moving on screen.
As stated, I've spent over 6 hours on this headache. I've even switched to a lab top computer with Windows XP running and neither one works. Never seen such a complicated set up as this. According to the instructions, the drivers needed are within the powerlogger program. I even manually tried to install them but my screen and Eric's screen are different. His will display "POWERLOGGER" whereas my lab top is showing FT232R UART when trying to install the new hardware. Has this ever happened to anyone else????? I'am about to my wits end with this powerlogger and Windows 7 issue. If I upgraded to Windows 10 would it be any different????

Jamie C.

Last edited:
So you downloaded 2.6.0. Did you reflash the powerlogger with the PL051 file, which is required for PLC version 2.6.0?

So you downloaded 2.6.0. Did you reflash the powerlogger with the PL051 file, which is required for PLC version 2.6.0?
Since this was a new and latest version, I had no idea I was supposed to reflash the powerlogger. I think I tried out of frustration to flash it but stated Windows 7 wouldn't allow me to since it violated some type of file system NTS or something like that. (Sorry I don't have the program in front of me to give you the exact saying from the PC screen) Why, do I need to reflash this powerlogger for? Can you please explain so I understand what is going on. Appreciate your help with this. II was about to check myself in the psych ward over this issue. lol

So when I reflash it do I just click on the reflash program inside the powerlogger folder, or is there something else I have to do??? I want to make sure I do this correctly. I wondered why that flash program was inside the folder for.

Use the button below, and make sure the key is on. (not in monitor mode)

Select the PL051 file and follow the instructions from there.

Capture356.JPG

Eric,

Thank you for your help with this solution. What a simple fix. I will re-flash my powerlogger in the morning and follow the instructions you gave me.

Jamie C.

Use the button below, and make sure the key is on. (not in monitor mode)

Select the PL051 file and follow the instructions from there.

View attachment 289772

Eric,

I reflashed the power logger and restarted the PC. After the program came back up I saw the green "Connect" button and clicked on it. I saw two gauges move on the program but the Status displays nothing on the program so I don't know if it's really working or not. Car idle sounded rough so turned the car off. Now powerlogger won't even give me the green connect button anymore even after closing out the program. Any ideas?

There is no green connect button to click on. To connect, you press the Monitor button.

What chip are you using?

I'm using the wide band chip 6.1. For some odd reason Windows 7 is not recognizing "Powerlogger". Steve from FullThrottle says the drivers are not installed. I'm trying to manually install these drivers but to no avail because Windows 7 doesn't recognize powerlogger. It shows up as FT232R USB UART. Tried to update it but computer says best drivers are already installed. Do you have a phone number where I can talk directly to you about this issue?

It won't necessarily say "powerlogger", if it's seeing the FT232, then its ok. If you can see a COM port in the properties, then it should be working.

Windows 7 doesn't even see the Powerlogger program anymore. Tried switching labtops that has Windows XP on it. Computer with XP doesn't see powerlogger either. This was working 20 minutes ago just fine. Key is in the on position with motor off. Green light with Powerlogger is blinking with a green light trying to communicate with PC. Have no idea why computer won't see the powerlogger anymore. Now have 11 hrs in this dilemma with no idea why this is not working!!!!

Ok here is the events I encountered on Monday morning. First thing I did was boot up Windows 7 and opened up Powerlogger. After program was booted up, I turned the key to the "on position" with motor off then connected the USB cable to the USB port on the lab top which was COM 3. The COM 3 was also selected in the powerlogger software. I then hit the F1 key then at the bottom of the screen I selected the "flash" button and installed the p051 file located in the powerlogger folder. A few minutes later the p051 was successfully installed. I then closed down powerlogger and rebooted the computer after the install. When key is turned to the on position I see the scanmaster display 2.2 and PL 5.1. The green light inside the kick panel starts flickering. I then opened up the program again and saw a green "connect" button right under the tab that states "status". I clicked on the connect button as well as hit the f8 button to synch these two computers. I then started the car up and saw gauges moving on the gauge screen so appeared everything was working. The car began to run rich so I turned the key off and waited a few minutes before trying to connect again. Now for some reason, I no longer see the green connect button and Windows 7 doesn't even see the Powerlogger program in the device manager. I even tried a lab top with Windows XP and that computer doesn't see Powerlogger either.

So I decided to take the kick panel off and open up the ecm case to remove the powerlogger from the motherboard. After removing the hardware, I cleaned the metal prongs with acetone and removed lots of plastic coating off of the metal and reinstalled powerlogger after it was all cleaned up. The ecm's two wire harnes was plugged back in along with the powerlogger cable and usb computer. When Windows 7 is rebooted the computer doesn't even see the new hardware. So we tested the usb port and plugged a wireless device into the same usb port and the computer was able to quickly detect the new advice so the usb port is a working port. So then tried all the usb ports on the labtop and none of them help the computer to see the hardware. Could this be a bad wire or is powerlogger defective????? It just seems after powerlogger has been flashed it no longer works or is seen by two different computers. The chip that was burned is the wideband 6.1 chip set up for alcohol use. I'm at a total loss on this issue!!! Does anyone have any ideas or have had issues like mine????? Please let me know.

Thank You,

Jamie C.

Having a very similar experience. I've spent most of the day messing with it and it is still a no go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure you clean the motherboard where powerlogger gets inserted. I had to scrape a lot of plastic coating off the metal so no wonder I couldn't get powerlogger to work. Once those were cleaned windows XP worked flawless.

Just did the reflash and it looks like it is working. SM had data and pl Gages are now reading. Yay!!!
Mine has a green connect button too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't for the life of me figure out what this green connect button is that ya'll are talking about. I've been running PL since there's been a PL and have no "green button". Can you show a screen shot of it?

The green connect button comes on after you hit F8. I think it just tells you that powerlogger is connected under the word "status".