Urgent help needed with pistons.

Veljo,

I don't want you to take this the wrong way as I know you weren't soliciting opinions about your combo but I suggest you get some different connecting rods. A Carillo rod isn't really up the task at the H.P. level your at and the ones you have pictured are the light weight versions. What typically happens is that they will bend under heavy compression loads then break. An " I " beam rod is much stronger.

Neal

How long have you been at the power level that you are producing? I bet that those Carillo's have lasted over a season.

There are also two kinds of carrillo rods. One set are considered HD and have one groove or machining pass on the side, and the non-hd have two pass or two grooves. I can prob find pics if that doesn't make sense...

If it were me, Crower billets. $1,300-$1,400 and take like 6 weeks from Crower. But, last time I called TA they had them in stock in a 6.3". Not sure about 6.5"

I've ran those rods for two seasons. As for carillos then my friend just ran into that problem lately. He has Nissan engine and he's pumping out a bit over 2000 hp. He asked for rods that would withstand this power from Crower and they said that go with carillos, those can take more power. He took the carillos and finally they bent and he broke one. Now he's putting BME aluminium rods into that motor. About I-beam rods - I've heard that they can't withstand a lot of RPM, they are strong but H-beam loves high RPM motors better. I have only one race left this year and then my car goes for sale, there's no point upgrading it anymore.

Gonna try one more long shot - anybody have a spare valve spring set for sale? Those are Manley springs.
Spec:
Inst. Ht. 2,000
Inst.Pressure 270 Lbs
Open Ht. 1,150
Open Pressure 831 Lbs
Spring Rate 669,000
O.D. of Outer 1,650
I.D. of Outer 1,173
I.D. of Middle
I.D: of Inner 0,767
Coil Bind Ht. 1,070

As I measured these specs myself then they might not be 100% accurate. So if anybody has springs for sale with similar specs then please let me know.

thanks
Veljo

ive seen man oliver rods bend and the cheaper eagle rods keep lasting ! o the same motor with way over 1k hp

ive seen man oliver rods bend and the cheaper eagle rods keep lasting ! o the same motor with way over 1k hp

Too bad I have Crower rods going in my new motor I could have saved a lot of money buying Eagle rods. ;)

Originally I was trying to help but unfortunately it was taken out of context. I just didn't want the next post to be "Urgent need for Stage II block."

Neal

DSC02806.jpg
DSC02827.jpg

Hey, I recognize those pics! ;
Still have that block. Think I can JB weld her back together?

Jay, that was the motor in my car when I bought it. Prior owner was running bottom 9's getting ready to break into 8 sec barrier with e85 and a factory ecm. I would probably blame the used carrillos and/or tuning issues, as I found a small hole in one intake port in the head. It had been ported through into the valley, then fixed with JB weld but the fix didn't hold.

Ahh, yes , I remember now. Nice car! Hope your progress is going well. You should start a thread on your updates, it's great to follow along!

Yep, you are correct on those "double pass" (non HD) carrillos.

I will start a thread, or add to the other thread when I start assembling. I finally have everything, just need to have the rotating assembly balanced. Getting motivated, especially after seeing/hearing Neal's beast this weekend!

Yep, you are correct on those "double pass" (non HD) carrillos.

I will start a thread, or add to the other thread when I start assembling. I finally have everything, just need to have the rotating assembly balanced. Getting motivated, especially after seeing/hearing Neal's beast this weekend!

James is there a thread that goes over these rods of death? I think I may have a set.....

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Veljo, sorry to dirty up your thread!

AJ, here is a pic of the same ones Veljo is using, and is obviously having good luck with. These were in the broke motor that came with my car. The HD versions are a solid cutout or pass down the rod side. I sold the set I had that were HD. I will see if I can find a pic.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1376355147.101949.jpg