Urgent Help - Is the engine toast?

Boostmeister

To make a long story short......
Started car, ran for a few seconds then died. Cranks and no start. Eventually found that the cam sensor would turn by hand. Removed cam sensor and it is missing 3 teeth. I crank engine and can see the timing chain and cam move. With a long screwdriver I try and turn the shaft with the slot (oil pump drive?) but it won't move. What happened? Oil pump siezed? How bad is the repair for this? What else should I be concerned about?

I would start by taking off the timing cover and inspecting the pump. You will need to drop the oil pan to get the pieces of cam sensor drive gear out. Its actually a good thing if it broke the cam sensor drive throwing the fuel timing off stalling the engine. It could have broken the oil pump shaft and continued to run without oil pressure:eek: .

If your cam sensor is missing teeth, your cam is probably missing some as well. Could be that either the pump seized or the cam seized. Pop your valve covers off and the rocker shaft assemblies. Pull each pushrod out and roll them on a very flat table to check if any are bent. If you dropped a valve, this could cause the same chain of events. Cam gear could have broken away from the cam. Pop all the plugs and look for oil while you're at it. Have you had any work done recently to the engine??

No, no work done lately. Did oil/filter Sunday. Drove 70 miles Monday. Happened Tuesday morning. 95k miles on a rebuild.

Just a note. If looking for a bent of suspect pushrod roll it on a piece of glass. Will show a problem with the pushrod quickly and no questions. Good Luck Jon Hanson