UPS Policy

six is enough

Tweaked has a new Home
I bought a PTE intercooler on ebay about two weeks ago. It was new never used. When I opened up the box the intercooler had two of the mounting tabs broken off. There was an extra metal part in the box, which had a hole in it. Called UPS and they said they would cover the damage. The only thing is they state they are responsible to the shipper and would send the money to him. :mad: I do not understand this as the intercooler was paid for before it was shipped making it my property that was damaged. Now if we lived in a perfect world there would be no problem with this but what happens if the seller does not forward me the money to buy another one. This may be an honest person and I will have no problems then again I could be out the intercooler and my money. What should I do to protect myself from getting ripped off?

It is a really simple matter to pack an intercooler such that UPS could not break it if they wanted to. It really ticks me off when people are too damn lazy to properly pack something, then you, as the buyer, are stuck with all the hassle.

I would have to agree with the above post. Make sure if possible that it it packed so it will not get damaged. I work at FedEx and I dont see too much mishandling of boxes but it does happen. I believe most of the damage dosent come from mishandling but from containers or trucks not getting loaded properly, so the freight shifts and falls during transit.

Should have some serious & obvious mishandling damage areas on the box. What does the box look like?
Does it look like there is the possibility that the item was that way prior to packaging?
How was the packaging, was it improperly packaged? No protective barrier material?

Tony87gn said:
I work at FedEx and I dont see too much mishandling of boxes but it does happen. I believe most of the damage dosent come from mishandling but from containers or trucks not getting loaded properly, so the freight shifts and falls during transit.

I love FedEx - I HATE UPS!

I have always had trouble with UPS and so has my wife. She used to head up the shipping and receiving department at the Phoenix art museum - she had a new horror story every week about UPS.

We do a LOT of business on ebay and other online formats, when we buy something every once in a while - the seller insists on UPS. It is about a 50/50 shot out of the few transactions we have had with them.

Now, here is something I wish I had caught on tape several years ago, if I had, we'd be rich! LOL:

My wife and I are headed home and we notice two big UPS trucks parked, backed up to each other, on the side of the road. As we get closer, we see packages flying from one to the other. We get closer yet and see them DROP KICKING the packages to each other. :eek:

In the time we could see, we witnessed at least 5 boxes getting "transfered" this way.

I know that UPS is huge and this is probably just a couple rouge employees but we saw it happen with our own two eyes...

On the other hand, dealing with FedEx and USPS with thousands of transactions, we have only had a handful of problems. We pack our items very well so, this helps out. We will never use UPS if we have a choice. I have paid more for an item because they will use FedEx or USPS instead of UPS.

Vic

I remember years ago there as a commercial for Samsonite luggage with a gorilla thowing the suitcase around the cage and jumping on it. Somehow I alway get that image in my mind when I send a package UPS. :wink: Pack everything like that gorilla is handling it and the chances are better for a safe delivery.

Should have some serious & obvious mishandling damage areas on the box. What does the box look like?
Does it look like there is the possibility that the item was that way prior to packaging?
How was the packaging, was it improperly packaged? No protective barrier material?

There is a hole in the box. I found a spare part in the package not sent when shipped. It is a big metal hook on the hook is written use with Gorilla Ladders only. Someone else is missing this part. I guess they will have UPS settle with the shipper also. Good Luck. :biggrin: And no there wasn't any protective barrier around the intercooler. I emailed the shipper and he states there was no damage to the intercooler when he shipped it. I only hope to get my money back so that I can purchase another one.

to try to answer the OP:

The seller said they were selling you an IC not a busted POS that was once an IC so they should be pissed at the shipping co too - that is if they care about their reputation. So just inform the seller that you did not get what you paid for and that UPS says they will make good but your (the seller's) cooperation will be needed.

They can either take back the IC and refund you your money or they can simply pass the UPS check thru to you.

Just keep the seller in the loop and give all a chance to make good.

Got to agree about the seller making sure it is packed well too - a bunch of old news paper goes a long way.
I got some valve covers that were packed with a single air bag that did nothing to keep the covers from banging together in the box - yeah they were used and cheap but a bunch of old news papers is less than cheap.

Sounds like the box got opened and repacked quickly just to get rid of it. I'm sure the vendor would have put some packing material in it to protect it.

six is enough said:

There is a hole in the box. I found a spare part in the package not sent when shipped. It is a big metal hook on the hook is written use with Gorilla Ladders only. Someone else is missing this part. I guess they will have UPS settle with the shipper also. Good Luck. :biggrin: And no there wasn't any protective barrier around the intercooler. I emailed the shipper and he states there was no damage to the intercooler when he shipped it. I only hope to get my money back so that I can purchase another one.
----------------------------------------------
I hope that this incident works out well for you as the purchaser.
I have no great love for UPS either, but I would not be too quick to relieve the seller of any responsibility. The fact that you had e-mailed the shipper and he stated that there was no damage to the intercooler when he shipped it would definitely concern me that he did not take proper precautions to avoid this situation. If he would have, one would think that some statement regarding proper packaging would have followed. Just out of my curiousity, did the container appear to have opened and resealed, and were the broken off mounting lugs inside the box when you openend it. Was this item bought and shipped from PTE.

The package did not appear to have been opened. It was in pretty bad shape as if it had been on the bottom of the pile, the shipper did use packing material around the intercooler put it was not laid flat in the box. The lugs were in the box, the shipper was the person who bought the intercooler from PTE about a year ago. I emailed the shipper with my phone number and he emailed me last night that he would call me today. I wonder if I should ask him for my money back and ship the intercooler back to him and let him and ups work this out as ups only settles with the shipper?

six is enough said:
The package did not appear to have been opened. It was in pretty bad shape as if it had been on the bottom of the pile, the shipper did use packing material around the intercooler put it was not laid flat in the box. The lugs were in the box, the shipper was the person who bought the intercooler from PTE about a year ago. I emailed the shipper with my phone number and he emailed me last night that he would call me today. I wonder if I should ask him for my money back and ship the intercooler back to him and let him and ups work this out as ups only settles with the shipper?
-----------------------------
I thnk that would be your best option if possible, at this point, I would not trust either the seller or the shipper. If you can get your money back and then return the item to the seller, I would do that in a heartbeat.

Fed-ex is no better then ups. I had a brand new hood insulater pad for the buick with a car show the next day. The part came opened it with a big hole in the middle. It the way crap get's packaged up.

If the box is that damage ups usually sends a person out to inspect the damage to the box. Just to see if the product was packaged up right.

I sent a eastern front mount out ups before and packed it very well. When it got there it was fine no problems.