Upgraded turbo from 49 to a 63

Matt McClung

Hotair guy who owns a I/C
Just upgraded turbo and the gn is running great. I now have more lag than I did before, which I expected. I have a duttweiller necked intercooler, and I mildly ported the heads and port matched the intake. I still have the stock downpipe and elbow, I was thinking of getting a three inch downpipe to eliminate the elbow. I was wondering if others agree that this is the best thing to do to cut down on the lag. I already installed a cat back exhaust system with dual mufflers.

Thanks Matt

Yes, you will be happy with the change! Be sure to get a good quality DP, if the puck starts sticking it will be a big headache.

Exhaust side of turbo is very important. Get a good DP and RJC controller. That will help spool that turbo. That turbo hit too hard down low on my combo for the street. Couldn't control the car in 1,2 and part of 3 with DR's. I prefer a little lag on the street with high boost to hook. Everyones different tho.

What ex housing is on it? What is the converter stall at zero boost/zero vacuum? A down pipe or adjuster valve isnt going to make a night and day difference on the spoolup. The converter and ex housing a/r could and usually make a big difference.

The converter is 3200 stall and 9". I do not know the size of the exhaust housing on the turbo, I just know that it is a t63.
I am only pushing 17 psi right now, but it does pull pretty hard at that boost, just takes a little longer to get there compared to the ta49.
Matt

If you dont plan on trapping over 124-125mph you would have faster spoolup with the garrett .63 and not hurt power much at all.