Upgraded Fuel Pump

BlkDm0n

I recently bought a 1987 Limited Turbo and before getting down to modifying it, I had a few questions. I think the car has a hotwire kit installed as there is a 30amp fuse that is set-up for the fuel pump that the original owner set up as a security feature. The fuse is inside the car and can be removed to prevent the car from starting. My question is how can I tell for sure that this is a hotwire kit and how can I tell if the fuel pump has been upgraded? Is it possible to find out without removing the tank? Thanks

If you have any kind of "hotwire kit"(either homemade or aftermarket): there will be a 12ga or better wire running back from under the hood to the fuel tank. The later ones have a relay back by the tank that the signal from the stock relay energizes. Some put the heavier relay under the hood(what I did on my '85). The idea being to get full voltage directly from the alternator to the fuel pump, through as big a wire as possible(no voltage drop). Hard to tell what kind of pump is in there without dropping the tank. You'll have to keep an eye on your knock retard, fuel/air ratio, and fuel pressure to see if the pump is keeping up with the car's LPH needs. If you don't have one- get (at least) a Scanmaster, or some data logging device.