Upcoming Columbus BPG Horsepower Nats

collector

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a few updates and a few things we are working on for the Columbus BPG Buick Horsepower Nationals coming up this August 3-5 at National Trails Raceway –

** Forget everything you have heard or seen about Columbus National Trails. I spent last Monday there and I am very impressed with the area since it has grown up. The town of Heath is within 15 minutes of the track and should be able to accommodate all of us. There are lots of restaurants, hotels, parts stores, and a great main drag that will be user friendly to us. Everyone including the police department would like us to come back, so the word I get it they will work with us. ( hmmmmm!! )

** How about a big cruise-in on Thursday night in Heath, at the Auto Zone / Ruby Tuesday parking lot? What a great way to kick off the event!

** I have officially invited the Mopar group to join us for test and tune on Friday and possibly Saturday for part of the day. See, the Mopar Nats are the following weekend at the “Trails” and as packed as it gets, I am sure there will be some who will come out to test and tune their cars a week early, esp. the locals. We’ll give them lane 6, for example, and any of us who want to grudge-race any of them, well, choose your race. Ought add a lot of excitement plus help us with expenses.

There is plenty of grassy areas for the car show should it be a hot day, or if it is a nice day we can have it on the asphalt. We will work this out when the time comes and we see what the weather is doing.

** Buick has committed to bringing a truckload of heritage vehicles down for the show. Last year at Indy, they brought GNX#1, a gorgeous pale yellow 65 Gran Sport convertible, a 65 Riviera, the Blackhawk, a Wildcat concept car and I am probably missing one or two others. Ought be interesting to see what they drag out for this year!

** How about this one – FREE vending spots! We have decided that with more and more business being done via E Bay and other sites, vendors are becoming more and more reluctant to bring their wares out to sell at meets such as this. Hard to blame them as it can be a hassle, $3.00 gas, motels, etc. So, we think it’s time to encourage them to come back to their roots and get eyeball to eyeball with their customers. We will certainly accept any donations that they would want to throw our way, but not necessary. The only deviation from this would be the “prime” locations. We would like to offer them to the larger vendors who would utilize these to the best usage and these spots will be “sold” to the highest sponsors. In other words, if you are a vendor and want to sponsor at the $1000 level, you would get the best spot, compared to a $500 sponsor. Keeping it simple. And, as I say, no one HAS to. They can vend for free in the back 40 if they choose. But, again, we will accept donations if you’d like to help us grow this event to the level we envision. It’s up to all of us.

** And, of course, lots of racing! Log onto Buick Performance Group Forum - Powered by vBulletin for hotel info and lots of other stuff as it happens. Please ask your questions there as it is difficult to continually monitor all of the boards that this information is going out to. ( But, your comments are welcome here to help keep the thread alive, or maybe the administrators will make it a sticky for us. ) Thanks, and see you all in Columbus!

sound's great! looking forward to this event as we will be making the trip out from las vegas.

there is also Tent Rental, and Golf Cart Rental. the Track is also a VP fuel supplier and are getting a number of 55's in of 116 and they will also have Methanol at the track for you ALKYHOLICS...should be a great time for more info go to The Buick Performance Group

there is also Tent Rental, and Golf Cart Rental. the Track is also a VP fuel supplier and are getting a number of 55's in of 116 and they will also have Methanol at the track for you ALKYHOLICS...should be a great time for more info go to The Buick Performance Group

Cart rental:biggrin: Sealed the deal for me! We are planning to go, should be a great event, looking forward to it!

Luckily I got the wife to agree to delay our 'official family vacation' by a day so I can now attend the entire event! :cool:

Headgaskets stayed in place. But it was the oil pressure that disappeared. I went 134 with 21 psi short shifting the car...first pass jitters you know? :wink:

Columbus

I'll be there again, Went in 99 and going again this year. Hope it's not as hot. Got reservations. Should be fun.

Steve

Additional race info...

As we did at Indy last year in the bracket classes, we will have a first or second round buy-back option available. That is, if you lose in either round, you can do a one time buy back for the next round.

Also, local track rules will apply for safety tech and operating factors such a bye runs, lane choice, etc.

Like most well-run races, we will have a driver's meeting before finals to explain these items and answer and racer's questions.:smile:

even more racer info!

Thursday will be a set-up day for vendors and racers, and track should be open by 8 AM. Racers and vendor motorhomes are welcome to stay overnight during the event, however no electric or hook-ups are available. A RV park is across the street from the track.

On Wednesday night they have their regular race program - gates open at 5 PM, and we are welcome to participate.

Safety tech by NHRA track personnel. If a racer has an IHRA 9 sec. or better lisc., they will accept this with a copy of a NHRA medical paper and at least 3 recent 9 sec. time slips.:)

They will have VP race fuel available in 112 octane and C-16. Unleaded will be available off-premise within a few miles. Methanol is also available at the track.

If anyone has questions or comments, please let us know. The race program is for the racers, we are here to facilitate your wants, and make this the best Buick event possible!:biggrin:

Awesome Nick! Will the track close its gates at night or are we welcome to come and go as we please? I plan on arriving Thursday night at 6-8PM and wondering if the track will be open to drop the truck and trailer off.

Jason

24 hour access!

We will have control of the gates all nights!:biggrin:

See you there.

more updates

We have invited some of the Mopar group to come grudge race us there as well. As some of you know, the Mopar Nats are at Columbus the following week and we think that some of them would love to come early and tune on their cars since their event is so large. So, we think it will be fun to get some of them to show up and we'll give them, say lane 8, and anyone wanting to pick on one, line up beside them. Does this sound like fun or what?! Personally, I look forward to seeing a rattletrap Mopar race car getting it's doors sucked off by a 6 cylinder! :)

Buick has committed to bringing a truckload of vintage display cars, everything from a 59 Electra ( love those old big boats ) to a 65 Riviera Gran Sport, to a concept Wildcat race car, GNX #1, and 2 or 3 others. See you in Columbus --getting close!

NEW UPDATE

NICK MICALE
Here is the plan - 2 bracket classes with the break at 11.50. This clearly shows that cars with roll bars/cage should be in the 11.49 and faster.

Would like to do a break-out heads up 11.50 and slower class, or a Comp-type class where your dial-in is from qualifying runs. Since I have almost no feed-back on this, we can make an on-the-spot call in Columbus.

Here is the confirmed track schedule so far:

For the heads-up and S-16 classes, there will be qualifying rounds all 3 days.

On Friday and Saturday, we will start about 11 AM to allow guys [and gals!] to set up and get ready for time trials and qualifying. By allowing qualifying all 3 days, we have a better posibility of avoiding weather problems if any.

One round of qualifying first out Sunday AM, eliminations at 12:00 noon, just after the driver's meeting.

At the driver's meeting we will discuss local track procedures and run order for all classes. Also we can answer questions any driver may have.

Also, Thursday is a set-up day for racers and vendors, gates open at 8:00 AM.

Please feel free to publish this info where ever you deem appropiate, thanks

Nick Micale
3334 W. Marconi Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85053
602-866-9908
Home of the world's fastest stock block V-6!
Index
arizonagn@earthlink.net