Uninsured Motorist Accident!

jake616

I need all the information you guys can provide me with about being in an accident where they were at fault, and did not carry insurance. :eek:....I carried liability and my insurance does not cover my car, and the uninsured motorist option only covers If I was injured...As of this moment I am out well over $5000 due to this.

What do I do!? :confused:

Your ONLY option is to take them to court.
there is no insurance liability from either driver but you will win in court (if it was their fault)
This doesn't actually mean you will get your money - that's a whole 'nother ball game but, it will establish fault in the corts eyes setting things up to get your money (eventually)

Basically youre screwed at this point if youre hoping to get any money anytime soon.

as zam said, your ONLY OPTION is to sue him, you will probably win, but then you have to hope the person has the money. If they never pay eventually you can have some of their assets siezed to pay off the debt....

As others have said youre kinda screwed as far as getting money quickly and you'll have to drag them to court. Also as was mentioned once you take them to court and prove that they were at fault the court would theoretcially award you damages. The problem is collecting the money. Im no lawyer but from what I went through last year if they do not have any a$$ets you can garnish(sp?) their wages (providing the state the issue will go to court does not have a non garnish law like NC does).

Anyway, If you are awarded a judgement against them not only will it be reported on their credit rating for a certain amount of time (10yrs in my case) but provided you can garnish their wages its all but chisled in stone that you will win the request to garnish.

Here in VA if a persons wages are garnished the garnisher gets up to a max of 65% of the persons GROSS wages. The only down side is that if they are a true dirt bag they'll just quit their job and/or take a job for cash under the table and then youre back to square one (try to guess how I know this :rolleyes: ).

Im not really sure what to do if the persons in question actually have any a$$ets as in my case they didnt. IMO your best bet is to talk to a lawyer and see what your options are as that may give you an idea of what it will cost you to possibly get your money back. No matter how PO'd you are at the ppl (and I dont blame you one bit) you need to know if its better to cut your losses and run or pursue the matter. No use spending ~$8k to try to only get $5k IMO as your still out some cash in the long run. If it can be done for around a grand then Id go for it.

Situations like this should show ppl how important it is to have some kind of ins to cover someone else who's a dirt bag and wont buy minimal insurance.

This has happened to me before.
I was hit by an uninsured driver{hard},he took off and I followed him aroung the city for 10 minutes while I was on the phone with the police department.Finally the the cops got him pulled over and they took him to jail for hit and run.My whole bumper was hanging off.
To make a longer story shorter I had liability and that covered me for only bodily damage.I had to come out my pocket for my car repairs.The criminal never showed up in court, they put a warrant out for his arrest and I was told by the prosecutors and my lawyer to just forget about getting the money.
My advice to you is, do what you think is the most cost effective!
GOOD LUCK

In your case, I would represent your self. It's not hard at all especially in a slam dunk situation like this.

I have represented my self in court for years and have always won.

Originally posted by zam70
In your case, I would represent your self. It's not hard at all especially in a slam dunk situation like this.

I have represented my self in court for years and have always won.

Ditto here too...

FWIW have ALL your ducks in a row before going to court such as witnesses, documents (ie: police report(s), ins/body shop repair estimate, etc), and be prepaired for the ppl to lie their hind ends off. Being under oath doesnt make a flyin flip to some ppl and they will flat out say whatever they think will get them out of hot water. The burden of proof will be on you so make sure you have as much documentation as you can get so you can prove to the judge that what you are claiming is true.

If these ppl say they have no a$$ets then go down to the court house and look up where they live. Whoever owns that house/property is a matter of public record. Same deal with any cars they have... Get the lic numbers and find a bud/friend/whatever to run a check on the plate to see who its registered to. If its registered to the dirt bags that hit you then right there is another asset.

You can attach a lein to either of the above also if the property isnt owned by them free and clear. If you attach a lein to their house then they cant sell it until that lein is settled. Same deal with the car(s). Unfortunately this doesnt get your money back very quickly at all but....if you are awarded any interest on a judgement you win then just let the interest pile up and when they try to sell any of the property that has the lein on it then you get paid + intrest. There are ways for them to wiggle out of it but they have to be low lifes and live almost like gypsies (and continue to live like that for years) to get out of it.

Lastly, youd be suprised what kind of info you can get just by calling the courthouse and talking with a court clerk. Here in VA you can down load any documents that are needed in a case like yours so you really dont have to step foot in the court house until the big day. You can do it on your own if you have the time and are sharp enough to network your way through ppl that work for the courts. If you dont have time or dont feel like taking a day or two to wade through the above mentioned documents then youre prolly better off to talk to a lawyer. Im a get even on a budget kinda guy so I enjoyed doing the needed leg work and dragging a slime ball to court :D .

Oh, before I forget... It doesnt hurt to check into whether its legal in your state to record a phone conversation too. If its like VA (it varies state to state) you can record a two party phone conversation as long as at least one party knows its being recorded. Welp, youre doing the recording so obviously you know which makes it perfectly legal. At least in VA. If thats the case in your state Id get the dirt bag in question on the phone to discuss the whole matter while you record it. When court day comes and they stand up and lie their hind end off all you gotta do is play your little tape. That along with the previously mentioned documents/witness(es) will bury them unless the judge is a tard. That worked for me :D

REVALATIONS!

WOOHOO! He had insurance! but gave them the wrong information that was in his truck! :jumpy Now it is time to wait on that dang police report!