Typhoon Tranny

milesengineer2

I am thinking about buying a Ty that needs a tranny. I have seen a lot of guys gripe about the rebuilds that they get and how often the 700's blow apart. Can anyone give me any insight on whether to buy a rebuilt unit with a warranty or get someone to rebuild it.
I am not sure which way to go at this point. From what I have seen it really doesnt matter either way, it will fail again.
Also if I get it rebuilt by a shop what components can I put into the tranny to prolong its life other than, billet drum, hardened stator, 10 vein pump, shift kit and some good bands.
Also what shift kits and bands are recommended for these trannies?

Thanks

Lee

Trannys can be a headdache in our trucks, where is this truck at, I might know about it. And is it just the tranny, and how much they asking for it and how many miles.

Is this the truck that is on ebay, the teal one, If so then thats too much for it. I bought mine for 8k and it had 82k miles on it and everything worked like a charm, just a few little cosmetic details to be fixed. But if he is asking for more then 8k forget it.

No, this one is black on gray. The motor is fine, the only thing it needs is a Tranny, paint and tires. As of ten minutes ago the guy told me he would sell it for 3500.00.

Lee

getting the 700 to live behind the syty driveline is no small task but ask anyone who has done it. and they will tell you it needs a person who has done it before and it cannot be done cheaply.

spend the money and do it right. don't try to do it cheap and it will be fine.

I know many fast syty's all still running 700's. it can be done but not cheaply and not by every ammoco.. :D

Thanks for the info. I have heard numerous accounts of people frying these trannies. There is a guy on the syty board "Blake" that seems to have a good reputation for building these trannies. I have signed up at the site but cant post for some reason. I have tried to get ahold of him but since I cant get my s/n to work there I unable to.

Are there any shops in Florida that do a good job with the 700?

I am probably going to pick the truck up next week and a rebuild is not the first thing on the list, so it can wait. Still no one has really suggested what kind of parts, shift kit or anything that is needed for a solid tranny. This will never see the dragstrip but maybe a couple of redlight races every now and then.

Thanks

Lee

I have built many 700's behind some fast syty's mine being one of them. I don't know of a shop in FL. or any individual I'd trust.

build lists are hard to come by because it's not only the parts contained but how it's assembled.

Not to mention several of the piececs I and others use are not available. we have them specially made just for us.

I've done work for 1 syty in st pete. and 1 in jax and several in the tampa/miami area. shoot me an email if your interested in my help.

john@electrocrazy.com