2nd gear

Hart007

My tranny doesn't want to shift into 2nd unless I lift off. I was thinking that it might be pressure related. The tranny has been rebuilt twice and I believe that who ever did the first valve body job may have screwed something up. I didnt get 150 miles on this rebuild and it started again. I really dont want to spend 1000 dollars on another rebuild. I have almost 3000 in it. Can a new valve body be purchased or can the tranny be placed on a dyno to identify the real problem by anyone?

Thinking it might be pressure related is akin to hoping there is enough air in your tires. Gauges are made for a reason, and if you don't have one, an aquisiton is in order.
Getting a rebuild for minor things seems a little overkill.

My transmission also does this going to 2nd and it even revs pretty high before it shifts into 3rd. Sometimes it works normal and other times its finicky like I mention. I think I will try hooking up a pressure gage and see the pressures while shifting. This trans does not have many miles on from the latest rebuild. Thanks

Hart007, is it ok if I post my pressures in this thread or do you want me to start a new thread? Thanks

He has 5 posts and was last here June 17th. Just post the pressures. And to anyone else with a 2nd gear issue: verify you even have 2nd gear with a manual shift to 2nd from 3rd.

Thanks for the info, I did not realize that. The pressures were checked with the car up on jack stands. I will be driving it also to look at the pressures. This was after it was warmed up.
Park...Idle No TV - 85 / 1500 rpm full TV 270
R........Idle No TV - 188 / 1500 rpm full TV 320
N........Idle No TV - 85 / 1500 rpm full TV 275
D.......Idle No TV - 85 / 1500 rpm full TV 280
3.......Idle No TV - 85 / 1500 rpm full TV 282
2.......Idle No TV - 245 / 1500 rpm full TV 262
1.......Idle No TV - 228 / 1500 rpm full TV 262

Let me know what you think. Thank you

paul