Twin Turbo Vs. Single Turbo.....?

gtiblklv

I REALIZE THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN DISCUSSED BEFORE BUT I WAS CURIOUS TO KNOW WITH TODAYS NEW TURBOS (NEW BALL BEARING DESIGNS, NEW TRIMS, NEW TECHNOLOGY, ETC...) IS IT STILL BENIFICIAL TO CONVERT TO TWINS...? I FIGURE IT WILL COST ME AROUND 5-6K TO CONVERT (NEW INNERCOOLER, PIPES, TURBOS, WASTE GATES....ETC.) AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT SOME OF THE MORE EXPERIENCED GUYS THINK OF CONVERTING.

MY APPLICATION WILL PRIMARILY BE FOR THE STREET AND I REALIZE THAT THE USUAL SUBSCRIBED TO THEORY IS THAT TWO SMALLER TURBOS WILL SPOOL UP QUICKER THEN ONE SINGLE. SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF MAKING THE SWITCH TO TWINS....? IS THE DIFFERENCE GOING TO BE DRASTIC? IF AT ALL.....? ANY THOUGHTS GUYS WOULD BE GREAT. THANX....

Think of this, the supra which is a good street turbo car comes with 2 turbos. Everybody that mods them to run much faster converts them to single turbo systems. Singles are much easier to get running right, and with todays turbo technology, I would stick with the single. People are spooling BB70 turbos pretty quick on stock longbocks.

You better have a top notch engine builder to handle 2 turbos.
Many people have a hard time keeping them together with one turbo.

STAGE II ON CENTER W/ STAGE II HEADS. BOBBY AT RPE. IT WILL HANDLE JUST ABOUT ANY COMBO I CHOOSE.

That's a stealth combo for being primarily a street car. Stick with a single turbo, and send the extra cash to me------. Brian

Twins will not be worth the expense on a street car, especially if you already have the stuff for a single. I have twins set up on my car but it will not be much of a real street car.

Originally posted by Fuelie600
Stick with a single turbo, and send the extra cash to me------. Brian

Me too, lol.

Twin turbos = less room to work, more piping and more headachs.

THATS KINDA WHAT I WAS THINKING GUYS. I FIGURE FOR THE STREET I WILL PROBABLY ONLY BE ABLE TO PUT 700-800 TO THE WHEELS BEFORE THERE IS THE HOOK-UP ISSUE. THANX GUYS. ANYONE ELSE.....?

Originally posted by Fuelie600
That's a stealth combo for being primarily a street car. Stick with a single turbo, and send the extra cash to me------. Brian

ditto, lol

Originally posted by gtiblklv
STAGE II ON CENTER W/ STAGE II HEADS. BOBBY AT RPE. IT WILL HANDLE JUST ABOUT ANY COMBO I CHOOSE.

Sounds good, when will it hit the track?

GOOD QUESTION......? I THINK ITS GOING TO BE A STREET CAR ONLY. I LIVE TOO FAR FROM THE TRACK AND HAVE NO TRAILER. SO ITS MOST LIKELY GOING TO BE A RICER STALER....!

Damnit Brett,Stop typing in caps:mad:

I told you to buy the GTS 76 and be done,It already makes to much power for a street car,Well not to much for me;)

I KNOW, ITS ALL THAT REPORTS WRITING I DO..... (YEA RIGHT) IM TOO LAZY TO HIT THE CAP BUTTON AT EACH NEW SENTENCE.

YEA, THAT 76 GTS IS LOOKING BETTER AND BETTER. OTTO CALL ME I HAVE SOMETHING INTERESTING TO TELL YOU.....!

A larger single turbo will always be more efficient than two smaller twin turbos...JFYI

Also consider class rules, packaging and power production.
I have yet to see an off the shelf single that will make the power of Twin GT47s which are a common race application.