Battle Time--Me vs. Turbo VR-6

BASS

Ok, my brother's friend has a VW Corrado, in which he put a turbo on his VR-6. He told me today he had it on the dyno and it supposedly makes "525" hp. I dont know all the details on the motor, but it supposedly has forged internals, racing pistons, etc etc. I dont know what turbo he got or anything else, but i remember my brother telling me a few months ago that this kid took it to the track and he ran mid 12's, but was on street tires and couldnt hook. With racing slicks, what do you guys think this VW will run?? Or, is it all bs that this kid is saying about this turbo VR-6??

My mods include the following: Dutt neck stock intercooler, THDP, Magnaflow exhaust, stock converter, MSD 50's, and next month, I will be getting a PTE 6131 BB turbo and some good slicks. What do you guys think I will run with race gas and a good launch??:confused: Everything else on my (low mileage) motor is stock (all stock internals, with new valve springs).I want to make sure I beat this kid as alot of $$ will be riding on this race....

I would think if you have all the rest of the supporting mods covered, fuel system, etc, and run C16 with 25psi and you can launch with about 5-8psi and hook it on a prepped surface, ;) my money would be on you. Even with a Dutt neck stocker and a stock converter, your combo should produce some easy high 11's on the street, mid 11's at the track. The only thing I see that might keep you from realizing all of that turbos potential would be the intercooler and the converter. Now, put a bigger stock location intercooler and a 3000 stall converter on your combo and watch out.
If you hook and leave first, you got it. But make sure you're tuned for race gas. Change the plugs, change the fuel filter, make sure and go over everything with a fine tooth comb before putting up stupid money. Not sure if the Corrado is rwd or fwd, I'm thinking old school was rwd, so if he shows up on slicks, it could be interesting. I'd still bet on the Buick if all was right.
Play safe and do it at the track during a test and tune tho.

Patrick

Turbo'd vr6

A vr6 parked next to me in the pits Nov.'06. Stock internals except a turbo intercooler kit. He was running mid - high 11's on race juice. He 1.7'd 60' but was still finding the sweet spot on the rpm's. I was impressed.

Attachments

• IMG_2438.jpg
    IMG_2438.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_2437.jpg
    IMG_2437.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 530
Those VR6s can be made very fast with forced induction, but they can't hook up. You should race from a dig. Even if he's on slicks you should be okay since the other problem with them is that they can't get a very wide tire under there.

Jim

Those VR6s can be made very fast with forced induction, but they can't hook up. You should race from a dig. Even if he's on slicks you should be okay since the other problem with them is that they can't get a very wide tire under there.

Jim

I fully agree here, every VR6 car I have ever driven torque steers like crazy. And they were all stock, I can't imagine what a modded one is like. Easy spank if from a dead start.

As a recovering VW guy, Dont under estimate the dubs! 11s, Yup! They are not however as easily fast as Hondas, so to see a 10.999 would suprise me ALOT.
525 WHP should do it, the VWs just dont get that fast for some reason. You put that in a civic h/b, and you are deep 10s. The math is there, but either excessive weight (Which a Corrado is fat) or lack of chassis rigidity, and even poor driving may be the reasoning as well.

If you can pop off a 10.999, you will make them earn it.

NOW bck to reality.
He did a mid 12 on street tires, OK, give him a full second w/ slicks (assuming he spins from timer to timer) ...now 11.5 is what you gotta do. You need a good tune, alot of boost and some good tires, and of course the bigger snail.
Just my $.02

Is it this car? I found this on vwvortex.

VWvortex Forums: Dyno'd the car...

I just bought a 1987 VW Scirocco 16V, so I guess you can say I'm a bit split brained :confused:

The GN and the Scirocco are two totally different driving experiences. Both are fun though :D

Esinger,

WOW, thats it!!!!!!!! What a SMALL world, I cant believe it!! That lying son of a bit&%!!!! Yeah, he really got "525" hp, hahaha...I cant wait to destroy him!!!!!!:cool: :cool:

P.S. If your on that forum, dont say anything to him, Im gonna play some games with him first...hahahahahahaha

Esinger,

WOW, thats it!!!!!!!! What a SMALL world, I cant believe it!! That lying son of a bit&%!!!! Yeah, he really got "525" hp, hahaha...I cant wait to destroy him!!!!!!:cool: :cool:

P.S. If your on that forum, dont say anything to him, Im gonna play some games with him first...hahahahahahaha

CRUSH....KILL.....DESTROY...Lather, rinse, repeat.

On behalf of all NJ TR owners, smack down that BS artist, please.

Jim

Jim, I cant WAIT to destroy that BSer...Maybe we will schedule the race at the track (e-town or Atco??) and all can watch, (and even make a little $$ at the same time...:biggrin: :biggrin: )

could always send him down to Toms River there is plenty of racing and lots of fast cars out on a regular basis to make a pass......

OK guys, the time is coming near. I need to just slap on a better turbo along with posi-rear and slicks with race gas, and ill be good to go.

Ive been looking at the post about this kid's car listed in the few threads above, and it looks like he presently runs a 12.9 @ 113 on street tires (not sure how much boost he was running and if this was on pump gas or not). Seems kind of a high mph for a 12.9, which leads me to believe he will definitely have a traction problem if he goes with higher boost. With my combo (MSD 50s, big neck stock intercooler, GT BB turbo, THDP + good exhaust, slicks, TT Race Chip, and @ 25 psi with race gas) I should be running mid 11's with ease. We will be racing at englishtown in the future, and were going to have alot of $$$ riding on this race, so if anyone wants to join in and bet, feel free...Once I get the turbo put in, ill let everyone know when were going to race.....

Go get em.

I can see where he could run a 12.9 at 113 if the car was spinning badly enough to post up a 2.xx 60ft time. If he shows up wearing slicks, I would think those times could drop to around 12.00s at around 110-111 range. Spinning typically causes mph to go up, hooking has the opposite affect. Don't be skeerd if he does indeed show up wearing slicks, you have the power. If you're gonna be a bear, be a GRIZZLY!! Launch that sucker on 10-12psi on slicks and don't look back.

As long as you can get your 60ft times down in the 1.6x range, and tuned for zero knock and 25psi with race gas, this race will be over in the first 200ft. Buick tail lights all the way. Now if he shows up with no interior and some wheelie bars looking like a Pro FWD Nopi race car, that's another story.

Good luck and perfect your launch techniques before racing him. Videos would be nice too.

Patrick

Have you done any brake upgrades yet... I doubt that your stock brakes will hold any real boost on the line, which will probably cause you to have to play catch up... just a thought.

Either he's an idiot, (Usually idiots wont wager $, just wanna street race for bragging rights) or he may be sleeping you a little. He is not showing his hand, you have to realize this. If he is doing 12.9 @ 113, he is making good power at low boost. If he isnt hooking now (And he isnt) he is already planning better tires, and then more boost. Plan on a real race. What he doesnt have in power, he makes up w/ light weight. Sticky tires on light cars, even FWD, make some nice 60s, and since fwds are generally HP cars, not tq, he will be there up top end also.
Dont underestimate the little dub. I ran a second slower 14 flat @ 100 in an all stock 03 jetta except boost @ 22 psi, full weight of 3300, and only 209 whp. He is trying to play you! That car should have ALOT more in it than it is showing.

Ok, I went to the track the other day to see him run, and his best was a 12.6 @ 117 running 12 psi and drag radials..I heard next time he will raise the boost and see what happens...I doubt he will have any traction to run faster than 12's, as he had traction problems already...:)

Im sure my combo of BBGT6131 + front mount + race gas, ill have an easy time destroying him...:cool:

Ok, I went to the track the other day to see him run, and his best was a 12.6 @ 117 running 12 psi and drag radials..I heard next time he will raise the boost and see what happens...I doubt he will have any traction to run faster than 12's, as he had traction problems already...:)

Im sure my combo of BBGT6131 + front mount + race gas, ill have an easy time destroying him...:cool:

Have you run your combo yet? 117+ MPH, while not terribly fast it does not just happen by bolting on some parts (believe me). If he's dumb enough to agree to race from a dig then you've got nothing to worry about even if you're only trapping 110 or so.

Jim

ummmmm... this started in Jan ... it's now OCTOBER :rolleyes: you still havent raced him yet ??? :eek: :p