Remote Turbo Locations *long*

19GN85

*warning...very basic thought or extremely wishful dreaming and i'm hoping everthing makes sense...i'm sure i'm over looking some details but haven't seen any discussion about it so I thought I'd start one*

I was looking through STS's (Squire Turbo Systems) website and got to thinking, it couldn't be that hard to make a system like that for our GN's...especially the hot air cars due to the long charge pipes coming from the rear of the vehicle would be a type of intercooling....could go with just alky injection or make positioning a intercooler easier and running alky with it and I think it would clean up the engine compartment a wee bit.

We wouldn't need special headers which i think would be a bonus. We could run true dual exhaust and have a turbo on each pipe...the turbos residing where our crossover muffler is and probably still be able to have stock exhaust exits.

But is 3 cylinders enough to spin the turbo to get enough boost out of it. I'm very new to turbos so I don't know all about the turbine and compression wheel configurations etc, but it might be possible.

Probably the better idea is to run the headers into a 2-to-1 and down to a single turbo (probably better turbo then what a hotair can currently get) and a single exhaust outlet once again probably in the stock location. Like with a dual hump crossmember run the hot pipes down one hump and charge pipe back up the other side through the other hump and up into the engine bay.

And with regular headers would make changing plugs a bit easier :D

If they can send the charge pipes back up the underside of the Corvettes to the front and into an intercooler and up into the engine, I don't see why we couldn't be able to do it. We got more space under there don't we?

As for the intake for a hotair, a elbow coming from the opening for the turbo on our manifold with a adapter plate welded on to be able to mount a throttle body of some sort and a way to keep the throttle and TV cables in proper placement. Or switch to a 86/87 intake manifold and change the throttle cables and tv cables to that of a 86/87 gn to keep those working. I'm sure there's lots of options here but i'm not sure of them all and maybe some hangups as well...I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be any need for ecm changes besides a properly burned chip.

What are you guys thoughts and ideas about this?

Sts

This has been discussed breifly before, but more on the subject of turbo lag. I agree, I think this set up would work great on our cars, but I am far from an expert so I will just read what others have to say.

They do it on Corvettes because the lack of room under the hood, we have room. If you were to do a twin set up, the turbos would have to be tiny in order to spool well, if they're tiny they run out of breath up top. You also lose efficiency running long plumbing. The vettes get away with it because they have 350+ hp to start with, pretty strong without the turbos. Just a few thoughts.