Twin Turbo Buick GS Project

All i can say is.....WOW!!!:eek: i am sure i will see an article in a magazine once you finish.... probably a feature article.... Great job and attention to detail. Love the wiring idea and connector... is it aluminum???

aaron

Dyno Update

Well after all the delays waiting on parts, scheduling conflicts to actually get it on the dyno, having to pull it back off the dyno to find the oil pressure problem, not to mention 4 throttle linkage redesigns/changes, 2 injector changes to get the DC under 100, and 1 sheared off trigger wheel, we finally are starting to get somewhere with this thing. Needless to say, it has not been easy so far but at least it will be ironed out before it goes in the car.

So far we're at 1400hp @ 6300rpm with 994ft/lbs @ 3000 on only 18psi. It idles like a kitten and spools almost instantly. So far it is exceeding our expectations. We set it up to run in the 35psi range on kill so there's more to come. Now that all the little issues seem to be ironed out the plan is to lean on it Monday. Stay tuned..........

Attachments

• BEFORE_SHOTS_455_TT_003.jpg
    BEFORE_SHOTS_455_TT_003.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 954
Yeah, Whatever...:rolleyes:

Tell Nelson, Video or it didn't happen !

WOW, What a BEAST...:biggrin:

You of all people bustin' my balls.....:rolleyes:

Have you ever known him not to video one? He's even surprised with this one so far. Don't worry - the money pulls will be videoed......:eek::biggrin:

You of all people bustin' my balls.....:rolleyes:

Have you ever known him not to video one? He's even surprised with this one so far. Don't worry - the money pulls will be videoed......:eek::biggrin:

Who me ? I don't think I've ever been accused of being a ball buster...:D

Nelson probably thought no one would want to see some measly 1400hp pulls...:eek:

We'll see the BIG number pulls...:wink:

man, i love the way that motor looks. what a work of art. Great power output as well so far. cant wait to see what happens when you lean on it

We wrapped up the dyno session. It starts clean, idles smooth, and spools almost instantly. It's a BEAST!

1600 hp @ 6000 RPM
1430 ft/lbs @ 4800 RPM
only 22 psi :eek:

This was on a very conservative tuneup and shutting the pulls off early at 6000 RPM just to be safe. To give an idea of the full potential, the engine is set up to run in the 35 psi range. This thing flows a TON of air - we didn't even make it breathe hard. After a crap load of development pulls we just decided not to beat on it any more - went though 45 gallons of C16.

It starts pulling off 1000 ft/lbs at just under 3700 RPMS.

It made 930 hp with a measley 7 psi boost on pump gas and 13 psi put it at 1207 hp.

The turbos are the limiting factor here - not the engine. Even at this level it'll have plenty of power to drive it to the track with the AC blasting, bust off some 7 sec passes and drive it back home. Anyone can hang a tag on a race car and call it streetable - this should be the real deal. A switch to a pair of T4 flanged 88mm turbos should pick it up an easy 500 hp putting it over the 2k hp mark but in it's current trim it should be very streetable which is the primary goal - for now. :rolleyes:

Love 'em or hate 'em, these LS motors are simply awesome. :biggrin:

We wrapped up the dyno session. It starts clean, idles smooth, and spools almost instantly. It's a BEAST!

1600 hp @ 6000 RPM
1430 ft/lbs @ 4800 RPM
only 22 psi :eek:

This was on a very conservative tuneup and shutting the pulls off early at 6000 RPM just to be safe. To give an idea of the full potential, the engine is set up to run in the 35 psi range. This thing flows a TON of air - we didn't even make it breathe hard. After a crap load of development pulls we just decided not to beat on it any more - went though 45 gallons of C16.

It starts pulling off 1000 ft/lbs at just under 3700 RPMS.

It made 930 hp with a measley 7 psi boost on pump gas and 13 psi put it at 1207 hp.

The turbos are the limiting factor here - not the engine. Even at this level it'll have plenty of power to drive it to the track with the AC blasting, bust off some 7 sec passes and drive it back home. Anyone can hang a tag on a race car and call it streetable - this should be the real deal. A switch to a pair of T4 flanged 88mm turbos should pick it up an easy 500 hp putting it over the 2k hp mark but in it's current trim it should be very streetable which is the primary goal - for now. :rolleyes:

Love 'em or hate 'em, these LS motors are simply awesome. :biggrin:

That is sick.... We were joking that these LSx's on the street will probably have to be run on the wastegate spring to even keep them safe and you won't need race gas at that level. I'm sure your engine came in under what a V6 Buick costs to build and your LSx will have a longer life and make way more power. :biggrin:

There's still plenty to do before the car itself will be done. At least we can get things rolling again.

You are correct Ted in that the cost per HP is relatively cheap compared to the V6. It was even cheaper when I looked into possibly building this car around the new TA BBB block.

I caught myself thinking the other day - hey, my S2 V6 makes in the 1400-1500 HP range BUT then I reminded myself that it isn't streetable, is high strung, takes almost double the boost for less HP, and is on the ragged edge of self destruction at that power level. This LSx is none of those things and we never really even leaned on it. We were gaining somewhere around 35-40 HP per 1.5# of boost so if you use that math another 10 psi would put it at around 1900 HP. I could swap out the turbos and make an obnoxiously large HP # but that's not the goal of this build (although it is tempting!:biggrin:). It is nice to know that insane power is easily on tap if/when I change the goal.

Wow... just, wow. There is not much else one can say. That thing is amazing. Can't wait to see more progress pics of the car. What a project!