Twin Scroll Turbos

My daily driver is a Hyundai Sonata with the 2.0L GDI Turbo engine. It uses a one-piece, stainless steel exhaust manifold and turbine housing. Many other new, small, GDI turbo engines also use twin scrolls - think of the new GM 2.0L GDI Turbo and the BMW N20 2.0L GDI Turbo. Others still use single scroll - such as the Ford 2.0L Ecoboost.

The description below of the twin-scroll on the Hyundai engine provides an explanation of the benefits better than I could. BTW, the Hyundai engine makes 274 hp from its 2.0L, with 17.4 psi of boost, and with 87-octane gas. Highway economy rating is 33 mpg. Really amazing, if you think about it. The zero-to-sixty on my Sonata is in the 6-second range, depending on the day and which magazine tested it. I notice very little lag - only time I feel it is when I nail the throttle from a very low speed - it takes almost as long for the tranny to downshift as it does to spool the turbo.

Twin-scroll turbocharger. The turbocharged engine features a twin-scroll turbocharger that, when combined with the GDI system, results in instantaneous power delivery. Twin-scroll turbocharger designs have two exhaust gas inlets divided by split walls inside the turbine housing, with both gas passages controlled by a waste-gate. A twin-scroll turbo recovers even more energy from the exhaust than a single-scroll turbocharger thanks to a divided manifold.

The twin-scroll design separates the cylinders whose exhaust gas pulses interfere with each other resulting in improved pressure distribution in the exhaust ports and a more efficient delivery of exhaust gas energy to the turbocharger’s turbine.

For example, at the start of the intake stroke of cylinder one, and when both the intake and exhaust valves of cylinder one are open (valve overlap period), cylinder three already starts its exhaust stroke with the exhaust valve open. If the exhaust passages of cylinder one and three were connected, the exhaust gas pulse from cylinder three would increase the back pressure of cylinder one. This would reduce the induction of the fresh air and increase the amount of hot residual gases inside the cylinder. However, with the twin-scroll turbocharger setup, this interference is minimized.

The result of this superior scavenging effect from a twin-scroll design leads to better pressure distribution in the exhaust ports and a more efficient delivery of exhaust gas energy to the turbocharger’s turbine. This in turn allows greater valve overlap, resulting in an improved quality and quantity of the air charge entering each cylinder.

With more valve overlap, the scavenging effect of the exhaust flow can literally draw more air in on the intake side. At the same time, drawing out the last of the low-pressure exhaust gases help pack each cylinder with a denser and purer air charge. Maximum boost from the turbocharger is 17.4 psi.
The twin-scroll turbocharger design has several other advantages over traditional, single-scroll turbocharging systems, Hyundai says, including:
  • Improved combustion efficiency;
  • Low engine-speed efficiency;
  • Kinetic exhaust gas energy is not wasted or trapped;
  • Cooler cylinder temperatures;
  • Lower exhaust temperatures;
  • Leaner air/fuel ratio; and
  • Better pressure distribution in the exhaust ports and more efficient delivery of exhaust gas energy to the turbocharger’s turbine.
Essentially, Sonata’s twin-scroll turbo directs even more air into the engine while a compressor increases the pressure entering the cylinder. This allows the air entering the cylinder to be even more densely packed for higher compression and better performance, contributing to a more-efficient burn and fuel efficiency.

Two key features of Hyundai’s twin-scroll turbocharger setup are:
  • The stainless steel exhaust manifold and the twin-scroll turbine housing are cast in a patent pending one-piece design. Thanks to the integrated stainless-steel turbine housing with the exhaust manifold, not only is the weight and cost of the casting dramatically reduced, the durability of the turbine housing is also improved.
  • The waste-gate for the turbocharger uses a motor-driven electrical controller instead of being mechanically controlled. By adapting the motor-driven electrical waste-gate, the boost pressure is precisely controlled. The back pressure is reduced when turbo boost is not necessary by opening the waste-gate, which improves fuel efficiency. In addition, during cold starts, the waste-gate remains open which results in faster catalyst light-off for reduced exhaust emissions.
Interesting reading perhaps? If a twin scroll were to be adapted for the LC2, somebody would need to figure out the timing of the valve events for a given cam to see if similar benefits can be realized.

My daily driver is a Hyundai Sonata with the 2.0L GDI Turbo engine. It uses a one-piece, stainless steel exhaust manifold and turbine housing. Many other new, small, GDI turbo engines also use twin scrolls - think of the new GM 2.0L GDI Turbo and the BMW N20 2.0L GDI Turbo. Others still use single scroll - such as the Ford 2.0L Ecoboost.

The description below of the twin-scroll on the Hyundai engine provides an explanation of the benefits better than I could. BTW, the Hyundai engine makes 274 hp from its 2.0L, with 17.4 psi of boost, and with 87-octane gas. Highway economy rating is 33 mpg. Really amazing, if you think about it. The zero-to-sixty on my Sonata is in the 6-second range, depending on the day and which magazine tested it. I notice very little lag - only time I feel it is when I nail the throttle from a very low speed - it takes almost as long for the tranny to downshift as it does to spool the turbo.

Twin-scroll turbocharger. The turbocharged engine features a twin-scroll turbocharger that, when combined with the GDI system, results in instantaneous power delivery. Twin-scroll turbocharger designs have two exhaust gas inlets divided by split walls inside the turbine housing, with both gas passages controlled by a waste-gate. A twin-scroll turbo recovers even more energy from the exhaust than a single-scroll turbocharger thanks to a divided manifold.

The twin-scroll design separates the cylinders whose exhaust gas pulses interfere with each other resulting in improved pressure distribution in the exhaust ports and a more efficient delivery of exhaust gas energy to the turbocharger’s turbine.

For example, at the start of the intake stroke of cylinder one, and when both the intake and exhaust valves of cylinder one are open (valve overlap period), cylinder three already starts its exhaust stroke with the exhaust valve open. If the exhaust passages of cylinder one and three were connected, the exhaust gas pulse from cylinder three would increase the back pressure of cylinder one. This would reduce the induction of the fresh air and increase the amount of hot residual gases inside the cylinder. However, with the twin-scroll turbocharger setup, this interference is minimized.

The result of this superior scavenging effect from a twin-scroll design leads to better pressure distribution in the exhaust ports and a more efficient delivery of exhaust gas energy to the turbocharger’s turbine. This in turn allows greater valve overlap, resulting in an improved quality and quantity of the air charge entering each cylinder.

With more valve overlap, the scavenging effect of the exhaust flow can literally draw more air in on the intake side. At the same time, drawing out the last of the low-pressure exhaust gases help pack each cylinder with a denser and purer air charge. Maximum boost from the turbocharger is 17.4 psi.
The twin-scroll turbocharger design has several other advantages over traditional, single-scroll turbocharging systems, Hyundai says, including:
  • Improved combustion efficiency;
  • Low engine-speed efficiency;
  • Kinetic exhaust gas energy is not wasted or trapped;
  • Cooler cylinder temperatures;
  • Lower exhaust temperatures;
  • Leaner air/fuel ratio; and
  • Better pressure distribution in the exhaust ports and more efficient delivery of exhaust gas energy to the turbocharger’s turbine.
Essentially, Sonata’s twin-scroll turbo directs even more air into the engine while a compressor increases the pressure entering the cylinder. This allows the air entering the cylinder to be even more densely packed for higher compression and better performance, contributing to a more-efficient burn and fuel efficiency.

Two key features of Hyundai’s twin-scroll turbocharger setup are:
  • The stainless steel exhaust manifold and the twin-scroll turbine housing are cast in a patent pending one-piece design. Thanks to the integrated stainless-steel turbine housing with the exhaust manifold, not only is the weight and cost of the casting dramatically reduced, the durability of the turbine housing is also improved.
  • The waste-gate for the turbocharger uses a motor-driven electrical controller instead of being mechanically controlled. By adapting the motor-driven electrical waste-gate, the boost pressure is precisely controlled. The back pressure is reduced when turbo boost is not necessary by opening the waste-gate, which improves fuel efficiency. In addition, during cold starts, the waste-gate remains open which results in faster catalyst light-off for reduced exhaust emissions.
Interesting reading perhaps? If a twin scroll were to be adapted for the LC2, somebody would need to figure out the timing of the valve events for a given cam to see if similar benefits can be realized.
Eco boost means "just above atmospheric pressure always". Thats why Ford does not use a twin scroll to reduce lag. Also for Ford VVT (variable valve timing) transfer variable is a factor in the control of cylinder dilution.Sonata uses twin scroll to improve transient response going from atmospheric to boost. A twin scroll LC2 involves separate exhaust paths (no pulse interference from left to right bank) ,equidistant manifold runners, equidistant and separate exhaust tracts (from exhaust log to turbine housing inlet) and possible repackage within the design space envelope. Just for the record the Buick Turbo Verano DI,VVT ,2.0L turns a 14 sec 1/4 mile with no mods and traps at 99 mph. 60 ft times suffer due to fwd which may put its performance around that of a stone stock GN ( I drive one every day). This is the same engine that the Caddy ATS uses which is rated at 270+ hp. GM was very quiet about this car's performance due to marketing conflict with the Regal GS. Sorry to get off topic.

Eco boost means "just above atmospheric pressure always". Thats why Ford does not use a twin scroll to reduce lag. Also for Ford VVT (variable valve timing) transfer variable is a factor in the control of cylinder dilution.Sonata uses twin scroll to improve transient response going from atmospheric to boost. A twin scroll LC2 involves separate exhaust paths (no pulse interference from left to right bank) ,equidistant manifold runners, equidistant and separate exhaust tracts (from exhaust log to turbine housing inlet) and possible repackage within the design space envelope. Just for the record the Buick Turbo Verano DI,VVT ,2.0L turns a 14 sec 1/4 mile with no mods and traps at 99 mph. 60 ft times suffer due to fwd which may put its performance around that of a stone stock GN ( I drive one every day). This is the same engine that the Caddy ATS uses which is rated at 270+ hp. GM was very quiet about this car's performance due to marketing conflict with the Regal GS. Sorry to get off topic.

Not really off topic I think you are relating relevance to the twin scroll...I personally believe it is no different than what happened in the late '80 when the GN rolled out. There was so much polarization because the chevy boys wanted their f-bods or vettes to be king...the buick GN was relegated to hype till when the rubber met the road and then real science started to get disseminated. I think it is simply a matter of time, till some brave soul comes along...lol

I try and keep it simple and think of the air going in and out of the engine like I would water. When you put your thumb over half of the of the garden hose aimed at mommas pin wheel in the yard the pressure coming out the hose increases, the water hits the pin wheel harder and spins it faster. So to use a quick spool valve seems it would give the same result. Keeping the ex gas separate may not benefit as much due to the bank to bank firing order. I'm no engineer though and could be completely wrong lol.

I try and keep it simple and think of the air going in and out of the engine like I would water. When you put your thumb over half of the of the garden hose aimed at mommas pin wheel in the yard the pressure coming out the hose increases, the water hits the pin wheel harder and spins it faster. So to use a quick spool valve seems it would give the same result. Keeping the ex gas separate may not benefit as much due to the bank to bank firing order. I'm no engineer though and could be completely wrong lol.
The "slot" in the turbine housing changes exhaust gas expansion/velocity (once the volute fills) to pressure to drive the turbine. Kinda like putting your finger on the end of the hose.

I think that is a very simplistic way of looking at it...
it is not only pressure that powers the turbine, but I do understand your point...
A quick spool valve and twin entry are two different objectives and in reality two different outcomes. Designing the manifold, the criteria of less volume (log style manifold will have less length in comparison to a header), which places the turbine closer to the exh. valves and so keeps temp and pressure "packets" on the high side pre-turbine. Post turbine, is the low side (lower pressure and temp) and most be large enough to not be hindrance to the escaping exhaust...
In either a pulse or constant pressure turbo system...this is called work across the turbine, it is the differential that creates work...it is also seen on the compressor side (reversed) but we are dealing with the hotside in our discussion. The difference is just that the pulse type uses the natural pulse and dynamics (less of the mass) of the exhaust (bank to bank, 120 degree apart)...each bank to turbine since divorced never interferes is actually a big deal especially for transient throttle and boost threshold is realized quicker, mind you because each bank is divorced scavenging can actually be optimized...because no two valves are opened on one back simultaneously...at full throttle done right there may be not that much difference all else been equal...however I am willing to bet the area under the curve is much flatter...which I think is always a good thing!