Tweeter Placement in a Turbo Regal

8UWITH6

Keepin' The Shiny Side Up
Hey guru's. Im currently building a system in another TR. Current setup is 6x9s in the rear, 3.5s in the dash. I have a set of tweeters with a crossover network that I would like to put in the car. The car does not have concert sound unfortunately. As of now I have them setting on the top of the dash panel where the 3.5s go. It sounds good, but looks really tacky. I was thinking about putting them on the top of the A-pillar trim, but I dont know if I like that idea either. Im wondering where some of you have put your tweeters in your cars. I have been looking at the door panels and have been thinking about flushing the tweeters in the lower door panel next to the door lock switches that is at about a 45 degree angle towards the middle of the interior. Just looking for opinions and suggestions. I dont want to cut holes in the door panels just yet. Any input would be great, thanks.

Current (temporary!)

dsc01187gm0.jpg

Option 1 (the one Im leaning towards)

dsc01188fi7.jpg

Will post pic of Option 2 later, pics wont upload

I have mine in my cutlass like Option 1 above. They sound good. Look good, I like them.

I can post a pic of them later tonight, after work.

Here's a pic of when I got the car, trashed speakers in the door.

Attachments

• IMAGE_038.jpg
    IMAGE_038.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 470
Option 2

dsc01189kb7.jpg

Kind of dont want to do this, afraid to screw up the upper door panel fabric ya know?

Madcat, do you run 6x9s and 3.5s, as well as the tweeters in the doors? Thanks

Yeah,

I have Pioneer speakers all around. But the PO cut up my rear deck so I couldn't put the 6X9's there, since the metal I had to fab for support wouldn't allow.

I ended up removing the fabric in the rear seat arm rest panels, cut the metal out there and mounted them right there.

Sound is OK, but I might need a bigger amp for them too. If I don't want to keep them there, I'll just get boxes and put them in the floor behind the front seats like in my old Cutlass. That worked well.

I'll snap a pic of the rears for ya too, later tonight.

Here's my rear deck.

Attachments

• rear7.jpg
    rear7.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 470
The only thing I dont like is on the drivers side, it seems clustered with the lock, and remote mirror........ any pics of the drivers side of your Cutty? Thanks

I'll take some nicer pics tonight. I don't think it's crowded at all, and you can't really see them when you're inside the car.

Would you guys be interested in a fiberglass lower door panel custom made for a 6 1/2' compenet setup? Can have painted or covered? I have having some made and the best part is the woofer will be enclosed for better sound:biggrin:

Fronts:

Sorry, they're Infinity speakers. I forgot:tongue:

Attachments

• Fronts.jpg
    Fronts.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 450
Rears:

Still contemplating on how to cover them. I might recess them first, haven't decided yet.

Attachments

• Rears.jpg
    Rears.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 480
Would you guys be interested in a fiberglass lower door panel custom made for a 6 1/2' compenet setup? Can have painted or covered? I have having some made and the best part is the woofer will be enclosed for better sound:biggrin:

Of course, all depends on the prices.

I have been going back and forth on custom door panels for my GN pictured below. I wanted to design a pod for a 5.25" speaker that I could attach to my existing non CSII lower door panels that could be removed with minimal damage/holes. What I came up with is to use wood speaker rings. Basically, a 7" outer diameter 5" inner diameter ring of wood 3/4" thick. Glue/screw 3 of them together (whatever thickness it takes to clear the mounting depth of the speaker). Cut the angle into my "cylinder of wood" to match the lower door panel and attach the "pod" in the carpeted area. This would allow me to remove them and either re-carpet the lower section of the door panel, or simply smooth the carpet around over the small holes. But lemme know what you had in mind SGRIM:D

Thanks for the pics Madcat, your right, it doesnt look too cluttered on the drivers side.

Something like this? A pod that is made from MDF, sealed with fiberglass and then covered with a nice cloth.

Attachments

• pod.jpg
    pod.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 460
if your tweets are small enough put them in the two outer air vents!!!! I do this alot and it sounds good,doesnt block the air flow.
use velcro or two sided tape to secure tweets in vents.sounds very good and completely hidden.

Nothing like this. This is a completley HAND mane fiberglass item. We have spent ALOT of time getting correct tweeter placement into the mold as well. The first prototype was done without the 6 1/2" pod enclosed. But we decided to go ahead and enclose it so would elminate the need for dyno mat in the doors for the average guy. I will post up some pics friday if possible:biggrin:

Price will start under $200, any increase would come in the finish. We may even sale the non finished sets for under $175. Best part is each one will be handmade right here in NC! So anything more custom is always an option. We are trying to get the power 6 logo in the mold now as well:)

More like this. MDF speaker rings, for the speaker I want to use I need two 3/4" and one 1" thick ring. Glue/screw together, cut the angle for the lower door panel, carpet/cover, attach to lower door panel with 3-4 screws, polyfill, run wires, done. Pardon the picture, its horrible, but maybe it will help you visualize it.

pod2kl5.jpg

I don't think you'll have enough volume of space behind the speaker to get much bass out of it with a stack of rings.

The first ring will be 7" outer diameter, 5" inside. The next 2 behind it will be 7" outer diameter also, but 6 1/4" inside for more internal area. Filled with polyfill I think it will be okay. Im not expecting much bass out of a 5.25" speaker to begin with. I have my rear 6x9s and my 10" sub for that. Just looking for a little more front fill/mids for the front. The 3.5s dont cut it. And I dont feel that this pod design is much different from the original CSII. The plastic "bladder" if you will behind the factory style CSII was a joke. At least this will seal up nicely for an air tight fit. The good thing about this is if I dont like the way it sounds, then I can go ahead and just build custom door pods and cut up my factory lower door panels like your original picture. Probably do something like this..........like one of my buddies did in his Monte Carlo.

q82706008yl5.jpg

q91706028ap5.jpg

Here is another example, hard to see but this car was on ebay. If I decide to do rings, it would look like this after covered/carpeted to match GN door panels, not red;)

f8181da5.jpg

MY GN TRUNK -

dsc00891tb0.jpg

The new Turbo Regal will have a similar setup, only with a single 12", all up under the package tray.

Thanks for all the replies guys, Im still debating!