tweaked frame...what to do?

nonosv6

my cars frame is def tweaked....pass side torque box is bent n the car is higher on 1 side than the other....it was a race car with a 10 pt cage, but still managed to tweak the frame...looks like its been on a frame table judging from the pull marks at every corner in the tow hook spots....my question is can i do anything about it? or should i start building another frame?......joel

my cars frame is def tweaked....pass side torque box is bent n the car is higher on 1 side than the other....it was a race car with a 10 pt cage, but still managed to tweak the frame...looks like its been on a frame table judging from the pull marks at every corner in the tow hook spots....my question is can i do anything about it? or should i start building another frame?......joel

Joel, just my .02 cents but it depends on how for off it is from side to side. do some "X" measuring and see what you come up with. I have seen plenty of older GM framed cars "G,A" bodies with imperfections. If i remember right GM let 1/8"-1/4" variances go as acceptable. 99% of chevelles lean towards the passenger side very noticably, and i know my buick and many others i've seen lean the other way. and tow hook marks could just be from exactly that...possibly. Does it still have the cage in it? if so that will just hold it where its at and removing it would be necessary to make the corrections. also see what the alignment specs are at, that will tell you how bad its messing with the suspension.

slim said it.

GM had a few models pre-'78 that cracked frames; the K5 and 68-72 A-body truck specifically (coupe too IIRC)
So you won't have a perfect one after it's seen launches, miles etc.
Have it put on a frame straightener or if there are other underlying reasons it's bad, consider swapping in a good straight one from a salvage car.

Is it no longer caged?