turns on but will not stay on

GNXDad

Hi

I was looking through the forums but could not find an answer to my problem. My 87 gn was working just fine last time I drove it. I parked it for several months and started it up a couple days ago. The car will turn on but will not stay on. It will run for about 1 to 2 seconds and shut off. I put in a fresh battery and 5 gallons of fuel just in case it was out of gas but still have the same problem. Any suggestions? TIA

Robert

Can you put a fuel pressure gage on it? Maybe the old fuel gummed up the pump or filter?

I was thinking you may have had a chip with anti theft code in it, but if it's an ATR chip it doesn't

ok, this is a shot in the dark but it is a possibility. I noticed litte creature foot prints on the hood and around the engine. It might have been a possum or similar animal. If it were to chew a wire to cause this problem which one would it be? I looked over the top end and did not notice anything disconnected or chewed through. But who knows.

Robert

can you keep it running with your foot on the throttle?

Fuel pump is a likely culprit (its inside the gas tank)

There are lots of things that can go wrong with the crank sensor and cam sensor that could do something like this.

Any trouble codes?

unplug the MAF sensor and see if the symptom improves

Bob

can you keep it running with your foot on the throttle?

Fuel pump is a likely culprit (its inside the gas tank)

There are lots of things that can go wrong with the crank sensor and cam sensor that could do something like this.

Any trouble codes?

unplug the MAF sensor and see if the symptom improves

Bob

no, keeping foot on the throttle does not help. The 1-2 second idle is strong and normal, it just won't stay running. After a while the fuel gets too strong and I have to stop for awhile. It has an auxillary fuel pump and the stock one. Both work when the key is turned.

I guess I will take turns unplugging one sensor at a time and see if things change ie:. gets better , gets worse, or stays the same, and go from there. I did not find any chewed wires as all were intact.

Robert

I had the same problem and it was my fuel pump. i would turn it on and my fuel pressure would go to 42psi then i would start it it on and it would die in like 2 to 4 sec. Check the fuel pump

Problem fixed. Turned out to be the MAF sensor. I took out the main chip and the car started right up with no problems in limp mode of course, so that ruled out the fuel pumps. Had to be one of the sensors. Did not have a scan tool so I started unplugging the sensors one at a time( the sensors related to fuel and air). The car started up , though rough, and stayed on when the MAF was disconnected so I replaced it with one I knew worked. Problem solved.

Don't you all just love happy endings?:biggrin:

Most thread starters of these type threads hardly give you their findings.:frown: BUT NOT ME!:cool: