TURBO89 - Spring compression tool

excobraguy

So I recently purchased one of TURBO89's spring compression tool to install my new springs. I sent him a pic of the Kirban design and asked if it was like the Kirban design, he replied it was similar but the newer "updated" design.

Now I get it if some of you reading this bought one from him and it worked fine (all welds are different), mine however did not and I will show why and I am very displeased with his response when I asked him about it.

So the one I bought had two welds holding a single nut on the back of the rocker. The bottom weld was just globbed on and prevented the wrench from making contact with enough of the nut to put any kind of torque on it to compress the spring, thus the wrench would slip off. I almost lost an eye when one of my keepers popped up because of the wrench slipping off.

The 2 design flaws I pointed out to him were the fact that the weld prevented the wrench from going all the way on and also, unlike the Kirban design, he welded the nut too close towards the shaft on the rocker. When you actually turn the wrench it comes into contact with the bolt head holding the shaft portion of the tool.

So when I sent him this information of course he blamed me saying I wasn't doing it right and everyone else was using an "offset" wrench with this tool. Ridiculous.

So below are the pics of his welds and me showing how the tool comes into contact with the bolt on the shaft. Now keep in mind, with the weld glob, only one useable position worked on the tool. And then that one didn't work because I would hit the bolt holding the shaft portion of the tool.

So I cut it part and removed his nut and built my own this morning.......TURBO89, mine works great!
My suggestion if you buy one of these from him, be prepared to modify it......

Attachments

• tool1.jpg
    tool1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 112
  • tool2.jpg
    tool2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 108
  • tool3.jpg
    tool3.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 105
  • tool4.jpg
    tool4.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 104
  • tool5.jpg
    tool5.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 106
We should all keep in mind that there is more than one way or method to solve a problem or accomplish a job!

Years ago I purchased a commercial spring removal tool but it was cumbersome and difficult to use on a Buick?

I have seen various versions of tools home-made for this job, and here is my "chrome-plated" one that was needed when changing some very strong solid roller springs:

Valve spring tool.jpg

Now that thing should apply some good downward torque! Yes, I agree.....that's why I just built my own this morning. It's the last pic in the pics I posted, it mimics the Kirban design and worked great.

But I am out $40 though........live and learn.

Last edited:
So I recently purchased one of TURBO89's spring compression tool to install my new springs. I sent him a pic of the Kirban design and asked if it was like the Kirban design, he replied it was similar but the newer "updated" design.

Now I get it if some of you reading this bought one from him and it worked fine (all welds are different), mine however did not and I will show why and I am very displeased with his response when I asked him about it.

So the one I bought had two welds holding a single nut on the back of the rocker. The bottom weld was just globbed on and prevented the wrench from making contact with enough of the nut to put any kind of torque on it to compress the spring, thus the wrench would slip off. I almost lost an eye when one of my keepers popped up because of the wrench slipping off.

The 2 design flaws I pointed out to him were the fact that the weld prevented the wrench from going all the way on and also, unlike the Kirban design, he welded the nut too close towards the shaft on the rocker. When you actually turn the wrench it comes into contact with the bolt head holding the shaft portion of the tool.

So when I sent him this information of course he blamed me saying I wasn't doing it right and everyone else was using an "offset" wrench with this tool. Ridiculous.

So below are the pics of his welds and me showing how the tool comes into contact with the bolt on the shaft. Now keep in mind, with the weld glob, only one useable position worked on the tool. And then that one didn't work because I would hit the bolt holding the shaft portion of the tool.

So I cut it part and removed his nut and built my own this morning.......TURBO89, mine works great!
My suggestion if you buy one of these from him, be prepared to modify it......

Just goes to show you .. someone can screw things up no matter how hard you try to make it simple ... the weld on the nut is positioned there for a reason as that side is not even used with the flat of the wrench .. I explained this over and over again but you still carry on with your non-sense ...

The flaw with the tool is that I didn't include directions with pictures and crayons for you... my fault.
out of the 100's of these sold in 20 years .. your the one guy that didn't get it right. guess that's not too bad

Just goes to show you .. someone can screw things up no matter how hard you try to make it simple ... the weld on the nut is positioned there for a reason as that side is not even used with the flat of the wrench .. I explained this over and over again but you still carry on with your non-sense ...

The flaw with the tool is that I didn't include directions with pictures and crayons for you... my fault.
out of the 100's of these sold in 20 years .. your the one guy that didn't get it right. guess that's not too bad
You took a good design and screwed it up. Explain to me why mine worked and yours didn't then? I copied the kirban design you short cutted it and screwed it up. So make all the excuses and degrading comments you want, throw in this bs about using an "offset" wrench, blah blah blah. Pictures dont lie, anyone with eyes can see the weld is in the way of the wrench and also that you welded the nut too far inward, thus the wrench hits the shaft when you try and compress. Thanks by the way for standing by your product that is useless.

I have made a few of these myself. The one pictured above is a hack job. I am waiting for the welds to pop when used on some 500 lb/inch springs. I'll post up a picture of mine when I get home.

I have made a few of these myself. The one pictured above is a hack job. I am waiting for the welds to pop when used on some 500 lb/inch springs. I'll post up a picture of mine when I get home.

which one is a Hack job ??

Geez WTF is wrong with people ... it's a simple tool that has taken off 100's and 100's of valvesprings ..

I can make It out of Billet CNC parts too.. but it wont take the springs off any faster !!! and the Buick Guys are too cheap to spend money on it ..

SOOO .... The tool works and works EXACTLY the way it supposed to as long as you don't try to re-invent the wheel !

You took a good design and screwed it up. Explain to me why mine worked and yours didn't then? I copied the kirban design you short cutted it and screwed it up. So make all the excuses and degrading comments you want, throw in this bs about using an "offset" wrench, blah blah blah. Pictures dont lie, anyone with eyes can see the weld is in the way of the wrench and also that you welded the nut too far inward, thus the wrench hits the shaft when you try and compress. Thanks by the way for standing by your product that is useless.

Simple ... AGAIN AND AGAIN your trying to put a wrench on a flat side that was meant to NEVER have a wrench on it and your bitching !

IF you really want to put a wrench flat there JUST BECAUSE .. take it to your bench grinder flatten the weld out and DO IT ! .. what would that take you ... 5 seconds ?
Instead you send me a PM with the very first line saying your tool is "GARBAGE" and useless ... and "I'm just gonna make my own"

you did .. great work

Stand behind my product .. I do .. but what do you want me to do now take it back after you butchered a perfectly good tool ??

Here is the tool I made when I needed to remove and install a set of PAC 1203 springs. I have tons of extra sockets so I used a 13mm craftsman socket 3/8ths drive. I can use whatever length ratchet I need and the angle is infinitely adjustable. I don't want my weld to break.

Attachments

• 1445888699608.jpg
    1445888699608.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 1445888710059.jpg
    1445888710059.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 1445888717219.jpg
    1445888717219.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here's mine I just put a socket inside a socket a welded it.
3/8's access from either side.

Last edited:
Probably, gotta dig up a rocker arm. Think one from a 455 will work on our little motor?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a communication breakdown.

I think Nick has everyone beat for the biggest tool though. And it's even ribbed for her pleasure.(y)

Probably, gotta dig up a rocker arm. Think one from a 455 will work on our little motor?

Not sure about 455..........I have some spare 6's laying around if you need one

I'm sure I have some for the v6, I have several sets of 8445 heads.