Turbo?

Chuckd

Check out my sig. The car had a GT70 p-trim on it before the bearings let go and ruined the turbo. A 70mm sounded too big to me, what do you guys think? I'm debating on going back with the same thing or should I switch.

Man, I would find an ol' school 45a or go new tech with a 6565 maybe. My friend is running a 6265 and even with a crappy 60', he is 10.8's at 129. You have the convertor and injector to get about what ever you want and cam also. I would hunt down a Te45a with a .82 or .85 exhaust housing and hold on for dear life. It will pull like a freight train in the upper rpm's. If you want more low end, get a .63 housing. I bet the .82 or .85 would feel like your 70mm, but would be a little better on the street. A good rebuilt 45 is going to run about 700-800 bucks, so not going to make you poor. The newer tech units are almost double. Sounds like a very strong engine.

What killed your 70? Find that out first before putting on a new unit.

:biggrin:

Bearings went bad. Not too sure why. I think it was crappy machine work by the previous owner. I bought the car like that. I haven't even had a chance to drive it yet, except for on and off the trailer.

I'm getting the motor back this week. Right now I'm looking for a new oil cooler and lines, and some other odds and ends, but the turbo is number one on my list for now. I found a Turbonetics replacement for 900 but I wasen't sure if I needed that much or not.

I bet Bison will post on this. If he does, get exactly what he says and he will be able to tell you just about how fast your combo will go. He is awesome at combos and can put your trap speed within a few MPH. I bet I am not too far off with my recommendations. I think he would like the 45a, but he really likes the new 6262, 6265 series of turbos from PTE. He really really likes the Turbonetics units too. He may say a T66 from them.

Unless you has a 5 disc vig converter you will not be able to couple any of the 65 trim or larger turbos power potential. If youre only looking for 500-550whp id go with a 6262 journal. Youre converter will slip a lot over 500whp unlocked. If youre looking for 600whp or more the 70 p trim would have easily covered it but the converter would slip too much unless its locked. Any of the 65 or 76 ex trim turbos will easily cover it. Your converter will easily spool any of the BB units out there with 65 or smaller ex wheels. It will be ok with 65/76 trim journals and really quick with smaller ex wheels.

I talked to a guy today about a Comp Turbo. You guys know anything about thoes? I'm about to do some surfing and see what I can find out.

The one he was telling me about is a triple BB 67mm compressor wheel billet.

I believe my GT70 had a .63 ar on the exhaust and a .70 on the intake side, do thoes numbers sound right. Might have been .83 it was hard to tell.

I talked to a guy today about a Comp Turbo. You guys know anything about thoes? I'm about to do some surfing and see what I can find out.

The one he was telling me about is a triple BB 67mm compressor wheel billet.

I believe my GT70 had a .63 ar on the exhaust and a .70 on the intake side, do thoes numbers sound right. Might have been .83 it was hard to tell.

Dont know anything about them. My advise is stick with the PTE, Limit Eng, or Turbonetics. Like Bison said, how many discs are in your convertor will make a huge difference in how much power you can make. Get that part figured out and then you can really make a choice. If its a 5 disc, you can go with the bigger, prob 66mm or so, if its a single, the 62mm will do fine. Like I said, my friend is running a 6265 at 23lbs and went 10.8 with a bad 60'. Thats plenty of power for anyone, and he drives his car all over.

Dont know anything about them. My advise is stick with the PTE, Limit Eng, or Turbonetics. Like Bison said, how many discs are in your convertor will make a huge difference in how much power you can make. Get that part figured out and then you can really make a choice. If its a 5 disc, you can go with the bigger, prob 66mm or so, if its a single, the 62mm will do fine. Like I said, my friend is running a 6265 at 23lbs and went 10.8 with a bad 60'. Thats plenty of power for anyone, and he drives his car all over.

His converter is a non lock up based on his sig. Theres more to be had spending $ on a converter than a turbo. Knowing the power level he wanted would make things easier.

Right now I'm looking for a new oil cooler and lines, and some other odds and ends, but the turbo is number one on my list for now.

External engine oil cooler? I have a brand new B&M in the box with all the fittings and lines. PM if interested, i am a stone's throw from you...

His converter is a non lock up based on his sig. Theres more to be had spending $ on a converter than a turbo. Knowing the power level he wanted would make things easier.

I'm still here ..... I'm not too concerned about the power level. I just want the parts to work well together. Yes I have a non lock up convertor that will not be changed, but like I posted earlier, the turbo is trash now. If I replace the convertor the car still won't go since theres no turbo on it.

I have no choice but to replace the turbo now. I believe you guys have answered my question. The Turbonetics is a T66.

From what I'm hearing from you guys anything more than that is wasted with my current convertor. Sound about right? I was told by someone that the lock up convertors brake with high HP when they lock up. Actually a site sponser I called told me to keep what I have.

Going to rebuild it or just buy new outright?

You can definitely go 10's with some traction so it will come down to if you want a strip car that's good on the street or a street car that can do pretty good at the strip.

I chose the street and built around a small turbo, but I'd also say 62/62 and save up for new DOT's every Summer. :wink:

I'd like to see your converter slippage if you did a track run. Precisions non/lu aren't known for coupling well (low single digits) on our platform with the limited rpm band. The best I've heard of was on another platform at 9k rpm and it was still 7%.

I'm still here ..... I'm not too concerned about the power level. I just want the parts to work well together. Yes I have a non lock up convertor that will not be changed, but like I posted earlier, the turbo is trash now. If I replace the convertor the car still won't go since theres no turbo on it.

I have no choice but to replace the turbo now. I believe you guys have answered my question. The Turbonetics is a T66.

From what I'm hearing from you guys anything more than that is wasted with my current convertor. Sound about right? I was told by someone that the lock up convertors brake with high HP when they lock up. Actually a site sponser I called told me to keep what I have.

Your converter won't couple anywhere near what the 66 will do. I finished a car a few weeks ago and picked up over 40whp peak andca bunch offense hp switching to a Ptc 9.5" non lockup. The converter I replaced was an unlocked lockup. I also picked up 17 mph@5800rpm. Boost was 2psi less also. I'd go with a smaller turbo if you're keeping that converter. A 6262 or an old 6169 or 6176 with Garrett housing. All will work the converter you have really hard and spool the fastest.

Bison, do you recommend a L/U or non L/U? I was told a L/U will not handle that kind of power. I just want to get it running again and then I'll do a convertor after it moves under its own power.

I just bought a Precision Billet 6765 w/.63 exhaust housing, so I'll definately need a convertor that will handle it. I found a Precision dealer here in Houston, Tx today. I went this size cause I want some room to grow. Thats alot of money to spend to out grow in a few months. so I went with one that would leave me "upgrade" room. We all know it's never fast enough. Hahahaha

This is mainly a street car, still has A/C and all the street car ammenities. I'm starting to think it's gonna be pretty quick judging all the responces. The car will never have a cage in it as long as I own it, thats why I say it will see a pass or two but mainly street car. I want my wife to be able to drive it, so I'm not looking for a race car.

Thanks again for all the advise. I'd like to think I'm a fast learner so any advise is appriciated.

You wont outgrow the 6765. I bet its a 9 sec turbo easy.

"This is mainly a street car, I'm starting to think it's gonna be pretty quick"

Well then the Billet 67 is probably not the turbo for you, this turbo will make your GN fast, but I don't think you've got the mods or desire to make it also a Quick GN on the street.

High compression Stage engines can say Quick and Billet 67, it's going to take some tuning and combo'd parts to make that a quick street car IMO.

The new PTE64/65 would've been the biggest I'd go for a Street GN and a 109 with iron heads. But really, the 62/62 can do 10's, that's fast and fits what you're describing.

Then take into account Bison and my comments on your torque converter, you're giving up MPH so a 9.5" PTC and 62/62 would REALLY fit your goals. IF that Precision N/L was under 10% at the end of the 1/4 I'd be pretty surprised, I'd put $ on over.

I prefer 9.5" ptc over just about anything if it's going to be over 500hp.

Well then the Billet 67 is probably not the turbo for you, this turbo will make your GN fast, but I don't think you've got the mods or desire to make it also a Quick GN on the street.

Anyway ..... Looks like I'll have a fast GN.

Desire? Please keep the personal attacks to yourself since you don't know me.

Bison,
I was looking at the paperwork that came with the car and the convertor is a Precision 9.5" Billet non-l/u. :confused: Is that what your talking about? Once I get it running I live about 10 minutes from Century Transmission in Texas and I plan on letting them look at it and making sure it's all good.

Desire was the wrong choice of words, my badd. I was getting at that in order to make it Quick, the list of parts that would help would be so much $$ that you'd probably shy away from that bill after reading it's mainly a street car.

Precision is from TN, PTC is AL.

I agree on the PTC converter as well, definately one of the best mods I have done. You may want to consider some type of turbo saver for your new turbo as well so this thread won't get repeated...:)

I agree on the PTC converter as well, definately one of the best mods I have done. You may want to consider some type of turbo saver for your new turbo as well so this thread won't get repeated...:)

Turbo saver. I like the idea, now explain it to me. Like I said ... I'm new to mods and such.