Turbo v6 in 70s Ford Maverick

skylarkstage1

I've been kicking around the idea of putting a turbo v6 in a 70s Maverick. With it's light weight body and the compact size of the Buick v6, could be quite the runner. Possible drawback may be the unibody design of the Maverick. Anybody see a Maverick or Mercury Comet with Buick turbo v6 power? Any and all input would be appreciated.

My nova and the pony are very close in the front subframe. The shock towers really narrow things up alot and are fairly weak. I think it would fit the pipes headers/intake are going to be tight. The rear frame is leafs just like mine and is another weak spot. I ended up running a all new frame bumper to bumper. The front frame really cant be reinforced at all. I have seen some run tubing through the towers but thats really a bandaid. I once saw a 66 nova wheel stand. when it landed the shocks blew right out of the hood. the doors wouldnt even close afterward. And this was a tubbed car but left the stock front,end big mistake.

chevyII said:
I once saw a 66 nova wheel stand. when it landed the shocks blew right out of the hood. the doors wouldnt even close afterward. And this was a tubbed car but left the stock front,end big mistake.

come on :rolleyes: :eek:

seriously the the shocks are connected to the upper arm and go up to the thin sheet metal towers above. There are no bump stops on the control arms, they can travel the entire motion with the ball joints being the limiters if the shocks were taken out. Ill try to post a pic but Im not sure if I have any of the old frt. end. It kind of looks like a frt wheel drive car with struts.

Until 1968 the Nova's had the same type front end set up as the early Mustangs and the Mavericks. You can buy a sub frame kit that converts the front sub frame to a Mustang 2 set up and it is bullit proof. The kit also changes the brakes over to disc. It gives you a ton of room, plus you can bolt stock body parts on to it. Use the kit with the sub frame connectors and if you have the extra money, go with a four link rear end set up as well. It would be a great sleeper, but you need to spend the money to make it live with the new power. IMHO.