Turbo Up-grade ??

S

speedy1320

I am new to this site.....I own an 87 WE-4 and have done some minor mods {3" DP, ATR Full Exhaust with 3" race-cat, Slightly larger injectors,ATR Chip, K&N filter, Magnecor wires} My question is....if I upgrade this "street" car with a TA-49 there are claims of 25 -30 horse increases......How is this achieved? It simply CANNOT be MORE boost....So how is the add'l power picked up? Does it cause FASTER spool-up?

Secondly, what are the Down-sides of a larger Turbo like this?

Thanks much!

Tom

The stock turbo is hard to beat when under 20psi and on the street. There are very little downsides to a TA49 or TE44, but your car probably won't be any faster on the street unless you get the boost up over 22psi where the stock turbo becomes way less effecient.

The horsepower gain is from added flow. A turbo flows air in as well as out. A 44 or 49 (same turbo cept cosmetics) will flow more in and out than a stock turbo. IMHO better flow at any boost level will improve performance. My old 70 turbo @ 10 PSi would kill a stock turbo @2 psi. I would think your HP levels with a 44 would be higher at all rpm's, not just at higher HP levels. hope that helps.