Turbo Spool in Park?

GNANIMO

I have heard some clips of people GN's on the net where they just fire the car up and after reving high enough you can hear the turbo spooling.

When I have my car in Neutral or Park I can't hear the turbo spool up. I don't think it's me either because if I am under the hood and open the TB I can't hear it either.

Does this seem normal?

I normally hear the turbo wind up when I am driving.

Originally posted by Dan Thompson
In order to build boost, the engine must have a load.

That's what I figured but what about these clips I hear of a car starting and then a few revs brings on the spool??

For example:

click here

Acually, I just put on my 3" SS M@!#=E Dp (don't want to get booted) , and with the dump tube open I can definately hear the turbo spool. My buddy with a 455 Poncho was even amazed. His comment was that it "sounded like a FREAKIN' jet engine". It also knocked off 3 hundredths in the 1/4.

No one can build boost in Park, but I can get my turbo to whistle since I put my 3" DP (Postons) on. I could get it to whistle before but my exhaust sounded so crappy I couldnt hardly hear it.

You're not hearing the turbo "spool", your hearing it spinning.
100,000 rpm turbo is bound to make some sounds! It's not building boost, just spinning FAST.

My mistake, I thought that spinning was spooling. The original post stated spooling, not building boost.

i wondered the same as you. after i installed the hooker catback and a bigger downpipe, i heard it. so i guess the downpipe helps aiding in the turbo 'zing' noise.

-josh
86 gn

I know this is not the common answer but if you step on the gas hard and do this 4 or 5 times in a row it will show boost on the gauge. I have seen ~8# I don't reccomend this but have done it

Originally posted by TRENT THOMPSON
I know this is not the common answer but if you step on the gas hard and do this 4 or 5 times in a row it will show boost on the gauge. I have seen ~8# I don't reccomend this but have done it

Why would you want to do this?:eek:

I wasn't really trying hard and doesn't require the RPM you would think too do so. I bet it didn't see 4500 rpm. :cool: