Turbo rebuild

Justin Terry

I am pretty sure my turbo is in need of a rebuild. I bought it used. It runs good and i have only had it for about 2000 miles if that. When I put it on it had no play what so ever but I see that it smokes just about ever time I crank it up and also I have been noticing that at nite when a car is behind me I can see alittle smoke in there headlites. I have been told a price of $300 for a rebuild will all new seals and bearings and some billet something I cant remember what he said. Its a 63 with a .82 a/r exhuast housing. It says garret on the compressor housing so I imagine thats what it is. So does anyone else have any prices for a rebuild. Also with the rebuild I was quoted it will have a 1 year warranty. So any other suggestions 300 seems alittle high but I dont know. thanks

how tight are you tightening the compressor nut? Gnttype.org says 18-20 in/lbs + 90* turn after that. Man, thats pretty loose! It also says it has a self locking nut. Sure doesn't look like a self locker. How tight do you DIY guys go?

Originally posted by redhotrod
how tight are you tightening the compressor nut? Gnttype.org says 18-20 in/lbs + 90* turn after that. Man, thats pretty loose! It also says it has a self locking nut. Sure doesn't look like a self locker. How tight do you DIY guys go?

Just make sure you use locktight and you'll be ok! I know...from experience :eek:

87gn 70gs, where did you get the rebuild kit from , I have a spare turbo that I need to rebuild. Thanks